LHR - MCO Rumour

Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
LHR - MCO Rumour

I heard today from a London based flight attendant that I have personally known for years that United had bought three pairs of slots from British Airways, and one she had been told was going to be used on a direct flight to Florida and Orlando had been mentioned to her? They have never flown to Florida direct and I know it are it is not a international crew base. I cant find anything about slots being sold by BA so wonder if this is just here say...Anyone heard anything?
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:51 am

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
They have a FA base at LHR, but not pilots. Im not an expert, but wouldn't they also need some maintenance crews for the long-haul aircraft? They dont have the crews in MCO or LHR to make this work, so it would be pretty expensive to do it. If they bought the slots, my guess is it would be for their hubs as opposed for a one-off.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
They did LHR-BOS, is there a pilot base in BOS?
Old Aug 4, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Trappy
I heard today from a London based flight attendant that I have personally known for years that United had bought three pairs of slots from British Airways, and one she had been told was going to be used on a direct flight to Florida and Orlando had been mentioned to her? They have never flown to Florida direct and I know it are it is not a international crew base. I cant find anything about slots being sold by BA so wonder if this is just here say...Anyone heard anything?
UA has flights from its hubs (LAX, SFO, IAH, ORD, DEN, EWR and IAD) to LHR. Now it has BOS-LHR. MCO-LHR is a good bet because UA routes widebody to MCO from EWR a lot. So, the crew just takes an extended route, EWR-MCO-LHR.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I find it impossible to believe that BA willingly sold any LHR slots. They and AA were required by the competition authorities to give up slots for certain routes through 2024 (extended now to 2026) which is how UA got LHR-BOS, but there was nothing about MCO in that.

https://simpleflying.com/british-air...ion-authority/
rmadisonwi and Aloha1 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Maybe BOS-LHR is not working out as well as UA was hoping?
artvandalay likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:13 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Maybe BOS-LHR is not working out as well as UA was hoping?
You are right. By checking the seat maps, I can see a lot of empty Polaris seats. The economy cabin is not full, either. The high J aircraft on BOS-LHR route is probably a mistake.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
They did LHR-BOS, is there a pilot base in BOS?
No
Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I've lost count of the stories told to me by flight attendants (and other airline employees) with total, emphatic certitude, mostly about routes, new / abandoned stations, and pending mergers or aircraft acquisitions, that proved to be entirely without basis.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by nyr2299
They have a FA base at LHR, but not pilots. Im not an expert, but wouldn't they also need some maintenance crews for the long-haul aircraft? They dont have the crews in MCO or LHR to make this work, so it would be pretty expensive to do it. If they bought the slots, my guess is it would be for their hubs as opposed for a one-off.
They don’t need a base at MCO to do this. For BOS-LHR flights, the aircraft routing is typically EWR-LHR-BOS-LHR-EWR. They could do the same with MCO.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Trappy
I heard today from a London based flight attendant that I have personally known for years
No disrespect, but this is how many unfounded rumours begin. The only employees who would actually know about somethine like this would be fired for telling anyone about it before an official announcement.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No disrespect, but this is how many unfounded rumours begin. The only employees who would actually know about somethine like this would be fired for telling anyone about it before an official announcement.
I agree with this. Not sure how a FA could know unless she was divulging info from a friend and both with face potential displace for doing so.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I agree with this. Not sure how a FA could know unless she was divulging info from a friend and both with face potential displace for doing so.
Well they were right previously about LHR-DEN
Lhr-den going all year?
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by nyr2299
They have at least 18 flights daily from the US to LHR (post reduction from the airport imposed caps). On top of that they have however many flights to FRA, with LH having 8 flights daily between FRA and LHR. There are plenty of options to route crew or parts/maintenance staff to LHR in a reasonably quick amount of time, should the need arise, even without having a crew base or maintenance crews there; plus as others have mentioned, the ability to use aircraft routings that cycle through the major hubs to resolve some of those issues.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:33 pm

I will add that MCO to the UK has lots of frequencies between BA and VS.
DL flew MCO-LHR as well as CDG, GRU and maybe AMS for a short period of time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.