Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rebooking Flexibility when UA Stops Servicing your Home Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

My home airport (SHD) will soon lose UA/Skywest service, along with many other small airports.
I have a bunch of paid and award tickets out of/into SHD that UA will cancel.
Given that UA is totally bailing on those of us in these locations, how much flexibility can we push for in terms of rescheduling dates/route?
I would imagine asking to leave a day before or return a day later to the next nearest UA airport would be easy, but what about a longer change in dates? What about changing destination airports/routings?
Any tips to help achieve maximum flexibility will be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by shdflyer
My home airport (SHD) will soon lose UA/Skywest service, along with many other small airports.
I have a bunch of paid and award tickets out of/into SHD that UA will cancel.
Given that UA is totally bailing on those of us in these locations, how much flexibility can we push for in terms of rescheduling dates/route?
I would imagine asking to leave a day before or return a day later to the next nearest UA airport would be easy, but what about a longer change in dates? What about changing destination airports/routings?
Any tips to help achieve maximum flexibility will be greatly appreciated!
UA will allow a change in origin or destination airport of 250 miles.
On dates, for cancelled service, UA agents will allow 1 or 2 days and maintaining original trip length. However, with some effortive you may get 7 days change before re-pricing. Especially if maintain same travel day of the week due to your work schedule. Probably will have to escalate.
And as always, UA can not force space on partner award tickets but will open space as needed for UA operated flights.
shdflyer likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA will allow a change in origin or destination airport of 250 miles.
I've heard 100 miles domestically, although I can't say that I'm sure. In this case, I'd expect agents to be somewhat reasonable -- changing SHD to RIC or IAD should probably be fine. Changing it to EWR, probably not.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
I've heard 100 miles domestically, although I can't say that I'm sure. In this case, I'd expect agents to be somewhat reasonable -- changing SHD to RIC or IAD should probably be fine. Changing it to EWR, probably not.
300 miles were the longest distance that I heard from 1K agents. I did change from IAD to ORD and PHL to RIC before, respectively, due to schedule change.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
from jetstream.united.com
Additional parameters for United flights impacted by irregular operations for United-operated flights
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights and connecting flights may go to non-stops.
  2. Connecting hub may be changed.
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 250-mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
  • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at original time of ticket reissue
  • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred.

**Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

and for involuntary changes
Waive change fee (if applicable), add-collect, refund/cancel fee (if applicable), full refund (unused coupons) permitted
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 25, 2022 at 9:03 pm Reason: Waive change fee
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:50 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Are they bailing out of CHO too? CHO appears to be your next closest airport at about 50 miles away. If not, they're definitely not bailing out of RIC. And it's only ~125 miles to IAD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.