Wiki Posts
Search

Credited PQP way low

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Credited PQP way low

I booked a round-trip to Europe, with receipt showing about 2000 PQP. Because of issues in AMS, return was switched too BRU. PQP ultimately credited are about 650 short . . . doesn't seem to be the "International Surcharge" for the flight to LHR . . . and assume this was some glitch resulting from the rebooking.

Just call in and ask for proper credit (or perhaps a refund if the reroute meant a lower price)?

(mods - couldn't find a proper thread to post this in)
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
I booked a round-trip to Europe, with receipt showing about 2000 PQP. Because of issues in AMS, return was switched too BRU. PQP ultimately credited are about 650 short . . . doesn't seem to be the "International Surcharge" for the flight to LHR . . . and assume this was some glitch resulting from the rebooking.

Just call in and ask for proper credit (or perhaps a refund if the reroute meant a lower price)?

(mods - couldn't find a proper thread to post this in)
You will not be due a refund.

If all segments have posted, and the total PQP is too low, contacting the MileagePlus Service Center for original routing credit should take care of it.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 7:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Have you completed the entire trip and all the legs posted? but too low in total?
Generally you need to wait til completing the trip to address this/

Do you have the original receipt -- with base fare and surcharge?

Ultimately this is best handled by the MP Service Center
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Yes - Have original receipt and just completed travel earlier today.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 9:43 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Yes - Have original receipt and just completed travel earlier today.
The magic words are original routing credit they know what this means.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and eightblack like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:44 am

I have had points take a few days, especially if booked thru a TA or otherwise with another airline involved. I'd say give it some time to post and if not by end of the week then call.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
The magic words are original routing credit they know what this means.
Yes . . . after 25 minutes of "research" they credited me the PQP and RDMs.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes . . . after 25 minutes of "research" they credited me the PQP and RDMs.
And I assume you got to keep the 'extra' 25-40 BIS miles that you flew?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
IME, actually no. When I've had to claim ORC, they've done it by pulling the credited flights off of my account and replacing them with what was originally ticketed. I'd expect to get BIS credit for the original route as well, even if that's not favorable.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:28 am
Original Poster

I didn't commit to memory my lifetime miles before they fixed . . . but looks like they didn't drop the 25 miles 'extra' I earned by flying from BRU instead of AMS. (And actually surprised me to see it is slightly shorter from AMS).
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
IME, actually no. When I've had to claim ORC, they've done it by pulling the credited flights off of my account and replacing them with what was originally ticketed. I'd expect to get BIS credit for the original route as well, even if that's not favorable.
Personally I would not use the term ORC here, actually. Not sure what drewguy did, but when I have had PQP too low, I simply wrote to MPSC saying that my ticket had airfare cost $x, and the total of all segments after flying was $y (obviously y<x), and I would like the missing PQP credited. The result was an extra line item or two with PQP adjustment and no change to my BIS.

In this case, I think the BIS is deserved, since it was actually flown. Where ORC can be very generous is if your reroute caused a reduction to BIS (e.g., due to being signed over to *A partner) — in that case, from my experience, no line item for BIS, just a silent revision upward.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't commit to memory my lifetime miles before they fixed . . . but looks like they didn't drop the 25 miles 'extra' I earned by flying from BRU instead of AMS. (And actually surprised me to see it is slightly shorter from AMS).
I find it is often unintuitive when within a couple hundred miles and have to check gcmap or my own flight records!
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Personally I would not use the term ORC here, actually. Not sure what drewguy did, but when I have had PQP too low, I simply wrote to MPSC saying that my ticket had airfare cost $x, and the total of all segments after flying was $y (obviously y<x), and I would like the missing PQP credited. The result was an extra line item or two with PQP adjustment and no change to my BIS.

In this case, I think the BIS is deserved, since it was actually flown. Where ORC can be very generous is if your reroute caused a reduction to BIS (e.g., due to being signed over to *A partner) in that case, from my experience, no line item for BIS, just a silent revision upward.
Certainly like the principle of getting actual BIS when its higher!

Not sure what details matter, but basically because of the various issues at AMS, United reduced its flights, and rebooked me from AMS-IAD to AMS-IAH-IAD. They agreed that was a bit silly and changed our return to BRU-IAD, which, while requiring us to modify our plans a bit, was preferable to a 16 hour return flight. No repricing involved and no idea how they came up with the PQP they did unless somehow the BRU flight was a lot cheaper . . . but it seems that they reduced both the outbound and the return. Anyway, it's fixed.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Certainly like the principle of getting actual BIS when its higher!

Not sure what details matter, but basically because of the various issues at AMS, United reduced its flights, and rebooked me from AMS-IAD to AMS-IAH-IAD. They agreed that was a bit silly and changed our return to BRU-IAD, which, while requiring us to modify our plans a bit, was preferable to a 16 hour return flight. No repricing involved and no idea how they came up with the PQP they did unless somehow the BRU flight was a lot cheaper . . . but it seems that they reduced both the outbound and the return. Anyway, it's fixed.
Just discussing for academic purposes, I would guess that when rebooked to AMS-IAH-IAD, ticket got reissued with more segments obviously. Then when rebooked to BRU-IAD instead, the PQP calculator got confused by the extra coupon and did not appropriately assign PQP. It is kind of a classic problem to receive too few PQD/PQP when number of segments is reduced.
jsloan, drewguy and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 10:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The are two ways these could have been adjust
1) ORC which replaces the flights and therefore uses the original lifetime BIS numbers
2) Just simple addition of PQPs and not changes in the flight posting. This would not change the Lifetime BIS numbers.

I suspect the latter is the easiest way but by checking Flight Activity it should be clear which was done.

Yes the changing of number of segments in irrops is a common (most common?) source of this issue.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.