Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated] {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated] {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
I'm not hub captive, and as a 1k, I am under 10% for upgrades on UA around the system. Managed to get one yesterday from HDN-DEN on a Q400 yesterday but only after myself and several others stood up and forced the gate agent to process upgrades for the 3 open seats in first. While I appreciate that it's a 40 min flight, upgrades are so hard to get these days, that I'm taking it when it's due. The flight pushed early and landed early, so the agents were just being lazy and actually said that she didn't want to have to walk from the remote stand back to the gate to find out who to upgrade. Three people (including myself) stood up and told her the order, to which she then argued that she'd need to change her paperwork. Only when realizing that she was going to have a problem did she actually do it. Again, this was about 15 min before scheduled push so delays were not part of it.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
I'm not hub captive, and as a 1k, I am under 10% for upgrades on UA around the system. Managed to get one yesterday from HDN-DEN on a Q400 yesterday but only after myself and several others stood up and forced the gate agent to process upgrades for the 3 open seats in first. While I appreciate that it's a 40 min flight, upgrades are so hard to get these days, that I'm taking it when it's due. The flight pushed early and landed early, so the agents were just being lazy and actually said that she didn't want to have to walk from the remote stand back to the gate to find out who to upgrade. Three people (including myself) stood up and told her the order, to which she then argued that she'd need to change her paperwork. Only when realizing that she was going to have a problem did she actually do it. Again, this was about 15 min before scheduled push so delays were not part of it.
That's disgusting. I hope you report it. She shouldn't need to be urged by three elites to do her job.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's disgusting. I hope you report it. She shouldn't need to be urged by three elites to do her job.
This happened to me once ORD-JAX and when i brought it up here, a lot of folks blasted me for feeling "entitled" to the open F seat

in my case, the flight went out with the one seat open, and I didnt find out until de-boarding
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Million-Miler
Not sure about this. On Flt #555 from ORD to DTW the GA announced that the last upgrade to F was available for $60. Elites were on the upgrade list. I had seen them offered at check in by never by a GA. This was a 319 so only 8 F seats available. Then a non-rev was placed in F also. She was in uniform as so may have been deadheading and I do not know the rules about this.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Lurch
Not sure about this. On Flt #555 from ORD to DTW the GA announced that the last upgrade to F was available for $60. Elites were on the upgrade list. I had seen them offered at check in by never by a GA. This was a 319 so only 8 F seats available. Then a non-rev was placed in F also. She was in uniform as so may have been deadheading and I do not know the rules about this.
Did you or anyone confront the GA about this? Again as often said here, nothing can be gained from complaining about this type of situation here if no effort is made to confront a rogue employee on the spot.

For now, just write customer service, provide these details and we can hope for the highly unlikely 'retraining' or suspension of this GA.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Did you or anyone confront the GA about this? Again as often said here, nothing can be gained from complaining about this type of situation here if no effort is made to confront a rogue employee on the spot.

For now, just write customer service, provide these details and we can hope for the highly unlikely 'retraining' or suspension of this GA.
But IS IT a rogue agent or is part of "dynamic pricing" going to be trying to sell upgrades at the gate?

I know that HP used to do that .... bought an upgrade LGA-LAS many moons ago for $50 that way.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
But IS IT a rogue agent or is part of "dynamic pricing" going to be trying to sell upgrades at the gate?

I know that HP used to do that .... bought an upgrade LGA-LAS many moons ago for $50 that way.
There is no such thing as auctioning upgrades at the gate at UA. Upgrade offerings are electronic only.

Delta offers upgrades on a standby basis (ie, correctly once all elite customers are upgraded) to customers on certain fares when it looks like seats will go empty and these are sold/processed at the gate, but this is not done at UA (and DL also offers UA style buy-ups ahead of elites, processed electronically only).

It's a rogue agent, please report this incident and if you encounter an agent not processing the upgrade list, please confront them and make sure they understand you will be reporting them to management.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
What confuses me about this "auctioning at the gate" scenario, is what possible incentive could a GA have for not just following standard procedure?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have heard a GA offer and the price they gave was the exact same amount the app was offering it to me for as I was looking right at it when I heard the announcement. But $60 sounds like a different scenario. Never seen an upgrade offered for a multiple of $10. Usually ends in a 9.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
What confuses me about this "auctioning at the gate" scenario, is what possible incentive could a GA have for not just following standard procedure?
1. pocket the cash if paid that way
2. "stick it to those elite ba$tard$"
3. "this is MY airline, and I run it MY way"
4. "this is just like my Ebay shop"
5. "I want to be like those cool auctioneers on Discovery - ya bought it!"
6. "the online offer of $199 is way too expensive"
7. "low prices work for Walmart, I'm just trying to help out"
8. "this is all United F is really worth"
9. "Jeff said it was OK"
10. "$60?? No! I meant $600"
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA GS
11. My buddy "non rev" deserves that seat. If I ask who wants to upgrade and nobody comes forward I can give it to him
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Million-Miler
Originally Posted by bocastephen

I did confront him but he had already sold the upgrade. He told me he had worked for UA for 3 years and did it all the time.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
I did confront him but he had already sold the upgrade. He told me he had worked for UA for 3 years and did it all the time.
Thats a pretty junior employee for customer service actually. Still crazy that he has done this before though.

And as many others have noted in these threads, despite the shenanigans being declared here, everything is tracked electronically. Unless someone is willing to risk their job, they likely wont do anything electronically that is questionable. Several of my GA friends have even been questioned for moving someone in to an E+ seat without payment.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:14 pm

Well then I think it's time we stop him from doing it any further...please write in and complain, giving as much detail as possible.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:09 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Boarding a flight running 60 minutes late. Obviously they are trying to turn the flt around fast and the GA seems new and is having issues 'opening' the flight. App shows two seats available in F and I'm #2 on the list. They call G1 and as I board I try to be nice and say "I know you are busy, but are you going to be able to clear the UG list?". Kid is totally harried but responds nicely that he'll get to it. I was more worried about him getting the flight out, so I don't press him. Get on the plane, just a row back from F (RJ flight, but 3 hours long) and wait. I check the app and all of sudden I'm #3 on the UGL. WTHeck? Of course I've already told my seat mate that I'll probably UG, so that makes me look like a DYKWIA. Kind of ticked, more puzzled on how someone jumps me after I've boarded an flight that is an hour late.

But that isn't the odd part. #1 on the UGL clears and boards straight to his seat. The FA then comes to my and asks for Mr. Tin and asks if I would like my seat in F. Sure I say. I check the UGL and #1 has cleared, but the rest of the list never clears- not me at #3 or #2. I wish I could remember who actually cleared- the new person or the one that had been ahead of me.

I felt it little bad. Actually not that much to be honest. If the GA had cleared the UGL when he should of, it wouldn't have been an issue. Just found it odd- especially in that it worked in my favor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.