Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United not seeing Turkish Airlines availability correctly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2015, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond,United Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum,Hertz President Circle
United showing phantom availability for TK

Since last 3 days United has been showing phantom availability for TK flights... Although the flights are available on ANA website but still UA agents cannot see those seats..
Old Oct 24, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by deadly_scorpion
Since last 3 days United has been showing phantom availability for TK flights... Although the flights are available on ANA website but still UA agents cannot see those seats..
Not sure I follow your post. "Phantom availability" generally means that the UA award website shows seats available, but after you book the flight, the operating carrier refuses to ticket. It's happened to me twice, and it's annoying as hell.

Are you saying instead that you believe the opposite to be true? That TK has *A award availability, but "UA agents cannot see those seats"?

If so, it may just be that UA hasn't loaded the inventory yet. I know there's tons of TK award availability for 2016 becoming available, so it may also just be the dates you've chosen.

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/10/turk...lability-2016/
Old Oct 24, 2015, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond,United Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum,Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Not sure I follow your post. "Phantom availability" generally means that the UA award website shows seats available, but after you book the flight, the operating carrier refuses to ticket. It's happened to me twice, and it's annoying as hell.

Are you saying instead that you believe the opposite to be true? That TK has *A award availability, but "UA agents cannot see those seats"?

If so, it may just be that UA hasn't loaded the inventory yet. I know there's tons of TK award availability for 2016 becoming available, so it may also just be the dates you've chosen.

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/10/turk...lability-2016/
The United website and mobile app show availability but when you try to get to the purchasing screen, it gives an error... And UA agents are saying its not available at all in their system... May be TK is blocking some seats for United members as the same flight is available on Ana
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by deadly_scorpion
The United website and mobile app show availability but when you try to get to the purchasing screen, it gives an error... And UA agents are saying its not available at all in their system... May be TK is blocking some seats for United members as the same flight is available on Ana
Thanks for the clarification -- you used the term properly then!

Good to know, as I'm looking at a couple of award flights in TK J for June 2016, since as TPG points out, availability is wide open. Here's hoping it's just a momentary glitch.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
UA has a Looooooonnnngggg history of phantom availability. Sorry to say it is nothing new. Of course, UA keeps saying that they are aware and are working on it. And this has been going on for many, many YEARS! Just the new UA. I think it will never be reseolved with SHARES.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:21 pm

I'm having the same problem with Aeroplan.

The only 2 TK legs of an 8 flight itinerary are visible to the Aeroplan phone rep, but can't be booked.

Has anyone who had this issue over the past month been able to resolve it?
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K

A couple of nights ago, I booked a flight IST-BRU-IAD-IAH. The flight didn't ticket immediately. My credit card was not charged and I got this message:

One of the flights in your itinerary has been cancelled or is still not confirmed. To make changes to your trip, you can select "Change flight". Or, if you'd like to cancel your trip, you can select "Cancel options". If you require assistance, please contact United Reservations,.
Then about 36 hours later I got this message via email:

Thank you for booking your travel on United Airlines. We are unable to ticket the above-referenced reservation. Some airlines require 24 hours to confirm a seat on their flight. In this case, we were unable to confirm your flight(s) on Turkish Airlines. If you are in the US or Canada, please call us at 800-UNITED1 (800-864-8331) so we can assist you in making alternate arrangements.
So I re-booked the ticket this afternoon to fly IST-FRA-EWR-IAH, and I got the first message again. As of right now, I have a Turkish airlines confirmation number, and the entire itinerary is showing on the Turkish airlines website, but still no ticket. I can route via several European cities, but I do eventually need a ticket back to Houston, preferably on United metal over the Atlantic. And unfortunately Turkish airlines connects to all of the routes I'm looking for except for a miserable 6am departure on Lufthansa which I'd prefer to avoid. Any tips for dealing with this? Should I keep re-booking different routes until I find one that tickets? Is there any way I can see the likelihood of success on expertflyer or anywhere else? Or should I just give up and try another airline?

ps. In case anyone is wondering, the reason I am booking double connections is to maximize upgrade chances. Anything EU-IAH is a disaster for the day I'm traveling
Old Jun 28, 2022, 6:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just to double check, you are booking on united.com?

Stale / phantom inventory is a common issue. AIt is a systemic issue that has been around since the begining of time. Inventory used by search engines is not always realtime (there is a fee for realtime access, and when a seach provides hundreds of options the airline / search engine don't want to paid for each request) plus carriers don't necessarily update their external inventory in realtime Between this issues, you can search, find a itin and then learn it is not available. Such as your first case.

Your second case looks more promising if TK show confirmed. But you still may need to push on UA before the 24 hour point to finish the booking.

Note this is not unique to TK-UA. But some airlines are slower to provide updates and TK seems to be in that category.

EF inventory is subject to the same issues. There is not public source that will not have these issues.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Is this an award ticket or revenue? Any reason you are avoiding the FRA-IAH direct flight? Turkish is infamous for this -- did you look at LOT routings? I know you don't want that 6am flight to FRA -- but it sure will make your booking life easier....
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just to double check, you are booking on united.com?

Stale / phantom inventory is a common issue. AIt is a systemic issue that has been around since the begining of time. Inventory used by search engines is not always realtime (there is a fee for realtime access, and when a seach provides hundreds of options the airline / search engine don't want to paid for each request) plus carriers don't necessarily update their external inventory in realtime Between this issues, you can search, find a itin and then learn it is not available. Such as your first case.

Your second case looks more promising if TK show confirmed. But you still may need to push on UA before the 24 hour point to finish the booking.

Note this is not unique to TK-UA. But some airlines are slower to provide updates and TK seems to be in that category.

EF inventory is subject to the same issues. There is not public source that will not have these issues.
This appears to be the issue. Yes, I am booking on united.com, and I got the same email from UA around 11pm last night saying they were unable to ticket the reservation. Logging into Turkish Airlines this morning it looks the same as yesterday. The itinerary displays just fine. I'll try giving them a call later on and see what is possible

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Is this an award ticket or revenue? Any reason you are avoiding the FRA-IAH direct flight? Turkish is infamous for this -- did you look at LOT routings? I know you don't want that 6am flight to FRA -- but it sure will make your booking life easier....
it's a revenue ticket. I'm avoiding anything direct to IAH from any european hub because the upgrade chances look a lot worse than many of the other flights available
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I would suggest you use https://pnr.sh/united to look up your PNR after booking through United. Do the TK flights show "HK1" or some other status? I would also suggest calling United right at the 24 hour mark and asking them to ticket the reservation as you waited 24 hours. Assuming the flights show HK1 then they can ticket them. If the flights are showing something else then United can't ticket them because TK isn't accepting the reservation.

-RM
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:47 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I would suggest you use https://pnr.sh/united to look up your PNR after booking through United. Do the TK flights show "HK1" or some other status? I would also suggest calling United right at the 24 hour mark and asking them to ticket the reservation as you waited 24 hours. Assuming the flights show HK1 then they can ticket them. If the flights are showing something else then United can't ticket them because TK isn't accepting the reservation.

-RM
I thought they have up to 72 hours because the PNR involved another carrier?

Then again, if UA already sent OP an email with ticketing issue, then something is up.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTahCha
I thought they have up to 72 hours because the PNR involved another carrier?
*A has a 24-hour policy that overrides the general 72-hour policy.
PTahCha and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.