Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will Polaris lounge close later due to delayed departures?

Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

My wife and I are booked on flight 90 from EWR to TLV tomorrow night (Wednesday night). The scheduled departure is 10:55 PM. However, UA just informed me that they expect that the departure will be delayed until 12:25 AM due to "forecasted severe thunderstorms across the Northeast."

The Polaris lounge normally closes at 10:00 PM. Is there any chance that it will stay open later on account of the flight delay?

Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alvn
My wife and I are booked on flight 90 from EWR to TLV tomorrow night (Wednesday night). The scheduled departure is 10:55 PM. However, UA just informed me that they expect that the departure will be delayed until 12:25 AM due to "forecasted severe thunderstorms across the Northeast."

The Polaris lounge normally closes at 10:00 PM. Is there any chance that it will stay open later on account of the flight delay?

Thanks!
Theres a chance, but at EWR I wouldnt expect it. I posted in another thread about IAH sometimes staying open later. If they do stay open, expect only a chair (bar, food, etc shut down).
Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I would not expect it in the sEWeR.

Perhaps you will be surprised and even possibly delighted.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Was at EWR on Jun 15 when there were severe thunderstorms in the area. almost every flight to LHR was delayed till after midnight. Polaris lounge promptly closed at 10pm
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by compid
Was at EWR on Jun 15 when there were severe thunderstorms in the area. almost every flight to LHR was delayed till after midnight. Polaris lounge promptly closed at 10pm
That isn't exactly surprising - I suspect some of those staff use public transportation - and some of that staff have to get home - and others don't want to be out and about after midnight. You can't tell a group of employees - your end of shift is when the last flight departs.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
That isn't exactly surprising - I suspect some of those staff use public transportation - and some of that staff have to get home - and others don't want to be out and about after midnight. You can't tell a group of employees - your end of shift is when the last flight departs.
Sure you can. That is exactly how it works with Ground staff and Gate Agents.

United may not want to pay the necessary wages to make it happen, but it is absolutely possible.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Sure you can. That is exactly how it works with Ground staff and Gate Agents.

United may not want to pay the necessary wages to make it happen, but it is absolutely possible.
It's all about the contract.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Optimistic question. Polaris Lounge isnt likely to stay open late for a flight. That would be unnecessarily be adding to the cost of the delay.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have been asked to leave the lounge 10 minbefore the official closing hour at SFO.

Food was gone 30 min before closing
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Just to add to the chorus, sadly it won't stay open late. That's life in the USA right now. I wouldn't expect any better even from Delta.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have been asked to leave the lounge 10 minbefore the official closing hour at SFO.

Not staying open past published closing for delayed flights is understandable, if not annoying and bad customer service. This, however, is completely unacceptable, as I'm sure has been discussed elsewhere.
PACLipper likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

Yep. On Friday a bunch of flights (including mine) were delayed and they promptly kicked me out of the regular (new) UC at 950pm. I asked if any other lounges were open because of the late flights and was told no. Walked by Polaris on the way back to my gate and it was also very clearly closed.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Duke787
Yep. On Friday a bunch of flights (including mine) were delayed and they promptly kicked me out of the regular (new) UC at 950pm.
Sigh. What part of "closes at 10:00pm" do these people not understand?

I definitely would've told them "OK noted" and then stayed until 10:00 on the dot.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
When lounge staff were airline employees, it was easier to authorize overtime and keep lounges open in the event of flight delays. Now that nearly all are vendor employees, their company is unlikely to pay OT in the event of United-operated flight delays.
SPN Lifer and goodeats21 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dkc192
I definitely would've told them "OK noted" and then stayed until 10:00 on the dot.
Sure. Antagonizing people for no purpose is always a good idea.

Some people take 10-15 minutes just to gather their stuff up. I'm sure nobody got kicked out early, they were probably just told to gather their belongings so they could leave by the time the club was closing.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.