Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will Polaris lounge close later due to delayed departures?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Polaris lounge close later due to delayed departures?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This has nothing to do with contracts as UA is free to negotiate what it wants. It is entirely related to UA’s attitude to customer service.
It does, and it does not. If United wanted to ensure the lounges were open to cover any flight delays, sure, a provision for same can be negotiated into the agreement. As it stands now, where the OP is asking if it is reasonable to expect lounges to remain open with extended flight delays, this is the reason they probably do not. Not an excuse, just the reality of the situation. When the lounge staff were all UA employees, it only would take a manager-level position to authorize overtime, and the club could stay open as long as they liked. Now, it's not so easy. Plus, don't forget that in the "good old days", with limited exception there was no hot food service and clubs weren't nearly as busy (especially at a hub). Thus, the operation wasn't quite as labor-intensive and it maybe only took a handful of staff at the bar, the front desk and elsewhere in the lounge to keep pax updated, drinks topped up and the hamster-feeders full. Simpler times.

With that said, I think closing the Polaris Lounge at EWR at 10pm is particularly stingy, as any delays at all to the dozen or more Polaris flight departing after 9pm means pax have to be thrown out when the club closes. The United Club at C-3 is the same way, but perhaps even worse as it serves chronically-delayed domestic flights at that hour.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
This has nothing to do with contracts
It's 100% about the contract. If it's in the contract, they'll do it. If it's not, they won't. No employee will (or should be expected to) work overtime out of the kindness of their heart.

UA is free to negotiate what it wants.
Please look up the definition of "negotiate". It takes two sides to negotiate a contract.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by EWR764
It does, and it does not. If United wanted to ensure the lounges were open to cover any flight delays, sure, a provision for same can be negotiated into the agreement. As it stands now, where the OP is asking if it is reasonable to expect lounges to remain open with extended flight delays, this is the reason they probably do not. Not an excuse, just the reality of the situation. When the lounge staff were all UA employees, it only would take a manager-level position to authorize overtime, and the club could stay open as long as they liked. Now, it's not so easy. Plus, don't forget that in the "good old days", with limited exception there was no hot food service and clubs weren't nearly as busy (especially at a hub). Thus, the operation wasn't quite as labor-intensive and it maybe only took a handful of staff at the bar, the front desk and elsewhere in the lounge to keep pax updated, drinks topped up and the hamster-feeders full. Simpler times.

With that said, I think closing the Polaris Lounge at EWR at 10pm is particularly stingy, as any delays at all to the dozen or more Polaris flight departing after 9pm means pax have to be thrown out when the club closes. The United Club at C-3 is the same way, but perhaps even worse as it serves chronically-delayed domestic flights at that hour.

I am trying to remember the specifics. I seem to recall in the RCC days when they delayed closing due to delays, the bar closed but we were allowed to hang out, use the WiFi, etc. I don't recall what they did with any food items.
It may very well have depended on individual specifics in each instance though.

Agree that the published hours need to be extended, and all the in-lounge amenities should be available up to closing time.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I am trying to remember the specifics. I seem to recall in the RCC days when they delayed closing due to delays, the bar closed but we were allowed to hang out, use the WiFi, etc. I don't recall what they did with any food items.
It may very well have depended on individual specifics in each instance though.

Agree that the published hours need to be extended, and all the in-lounge amenities should be available up to closing time.
In the past, at both the CO and UA sides, bar closing was often a matter of liquor license/local rules, but staff in the lounge stuck around until departure time. Anecdotally, I remember a long delay at the old Presidents Club at DEN and the bartender kept drinks flowing until about 9pm (we ended up leaving at 10) long after closing time. This was when bartenders were still CO employees. Admittedly I've only experienced this at outstations... thinking back, I don't think I've suffered an extended delay at a hub past opening hours so I'm not sure what the protocol used to be.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Its been a few months (late March), but I had a severely delayed ORD FRA flight and they politely booted us out about 10 mins prior to 10 PM. Bartender did a last call around 930, and food was being taken up from the buffet around then as well. That's been a while ago so YMMV now.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Does UA still have unattended lounges?

Years ago (somewhere 2012-14 or so) when I was GS, there was an unattended, unmarked GS lounge in Terminal A at IAD. I remember posting a photo of the door on the GS thread.

Just some water and canned sodas with basic furniture, but it was convenient when a UAX flight was delayed and you didn't want to walk back to the LH lounge in B.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Does UA still have unattended lounges?

Years ago (somewhere 2012-14 or so) when I was GS, there was an unattended, unmarked GS lounge in Terminal A at IAD. Just some water and canned sodas with basic furniture, but it was convenient when a UAX flight was delayed and you didn't want to walk back to the LH lounge in B.
Those lounges closed a long time ago.
tarheelnj likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by gmt4
Its been a few months (late March), but I had a severely delayed ORD FRA flight and they politely booted us out about 10 mins prior to 10 PM. Bartender did a last call around 930, and food was being taken up from the buffet around then as well. That's been a while ago so YMMV now.
EWR is the same as this (or was in May 2022).
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:42 pm
ed3

This isn’t only an issue with United. Ive been delayed in airports when bars, restaurants and non-UC lounges closed prior to the my flights departure.
I was in Vancouver last week on a delayed red eye and everything closed at the scheduled time, regardless of the delays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.