Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Did Your Flight to AMS go to a Remote Stand?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:54 am
Original Poster

I travelled on Sunday's (5/29) non-stop from SFO to AMS.

We were delayed 2.5 hours because they couldn't find a crew to clean the plane (the incoming plane actually came in early, so late arriving aircraft was not the reason).

Then, arriving at AMS, instead of going to a gate, we went to a remote stand. I had to wait about 30 minutes until it was my turn to walk down the stairs in the rain with my luggage. I was towards the front of the coach cabin, those further back had to wait even longer (there was a significant gap between buses.) Of course this trip to the remote stand meant that even more people missed their connecting flights than would have otherwise.

United is lucky that EU 261 doesn't apply to inbound non-EU aircraft. I wonder whether we would have been at the remote stand if EU 261 did apply.

Apparently at least one other UA flight went to a remote stand in AMS that day, and perhaps more.

The airport employee at the top of the stairs told me it was a UA decision to use a remote stand, and that it was cheaper than a gate.

I'm curious if UA flights regularly go to remote stands at AMS, or whether this was just an unusual day.

Any experience out there one way or the other on this?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I travelled on Sunday's (5/29) non-stop from SFO to AMS.

We were delayed 2.5 hours because they couldn't find a crew to clean the plane (the incoming plane actually came in early, so late arriving aircraft was not the reason).

Then, arriving at AMS, instead of going to a gate, we went to a remote stand. I had to wait about 30 minutes until it was my turn to walk down the stairs in the rain with my luggage. I was towards the front of the coach cabin, those further back had to wait even longer (there was a significant gap between buses.) Of course this trip to the remote stand meant that even more people missed their connecting flights than would have otherwise.

United is lucky that EU 261 doesn't apply to inbound non-EU aircraft. I wonder whether we would have been at the remote stand if EU 261 did apply.

Apparently at least one other UA flight went to a remote stand in AMS that day, and perhaps more.

The airport employee at the top of the stairs told me it was a UA decision to use a remote stand, and that it was cheaper than a gate.

I'm curious if UA flights regularly go to remote stands at AMS, or whether this was just an unusual day.

Any experience out there one way or the other on this?
Last time I flew AMS-ORD in 2019, it was via remote stand also. It made a mockery of 1K pre boarding as ~50 people were crammed into the first bus from the terminal to the stand.
TXJeepGuy and nexus7556 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:43 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Flights go to remote stands at FRA frequently, particularly during the very busy morning period for international arrivals at FRA.. Frustrating, but it happens far more often than not.

There have been many issues at AMS the last month or so for ALL airlines and travelers through AMS, not just UA. Extremely long security lines (literally hours in line) have been widely reported, but also other issues like not enough buses for remote stands. Low staffing is the major cause.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I don't know the gate layout at AMS, but here's where the UA flights have been parking at AMS by origin airport for the last 10 days:

Code:
 gate | ewr | iad | iah | ord | sfo 
------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----
 D10  |     |     |   1 |     |   1
 D3   |     |     |   2 |     |    
 D43  |   7 |     |     |     |    
 D47  |     |     |   2 |   2 |   2
 D49  |     |     |     |   1 |    
 D7   |     |   2 |     |   1 |    
 G3   |   2 |   2 |     |     |   1
 G4   |   1 |     |   1 |     |    
 G6   |   2 |     |     |     |   1
 G7   |     |     |   1 |     |   4
 G73  |     |   1 |     |   1 |    
 G76  |     |   3 |     |   2 |   1
 G79  |     |     |     |   2 |    
 G8   |     |     |     |     |   1
 G9   |     |   2 |     |     |    
 J83  |     |     |     |   1 |    
 J84  |     |   1 |     |     |
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by mduell
I don't know the gate layout at AMS, but here's where the UA flights have been parking at AMS by origin airport for the last 10 days:

Code:
gate | ewr | iad | iah | ord | sfo
------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----
D10 | | | 1 | | 1
D3 | | | 2 | |
D43 | 7 | | | |
D47 | | | 2 | 2 | 2
D49 | | | | 1 |
D7 | | 2 | | 1 |
G3 | 2 | 2 | | | 1
G4 | 1 | | 1 | |
G6 | 2 | | | | 1
G7 | | | 1 | | 4
G73 | | 1 | | 1 |
G76 | | 3 | | 2 | 1
G79 | | | | 2 |
G8 | | | | | 1
G9 | | 2 | | |
J83 | | | | 1 |
J84 | | 1 | | |
As far as I can tell, G73/76/79 and J83/84 are remote stands.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Why Would my Transatlantic Flight End up at a Remote Stand at Schiphol?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:10 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There are presently major issues at AMS doing with ground staff. This is likely leading to carriers needing to use remote stands. Long delays in transit AMS have been reports in many FT forums. Security lines have been very longThis has been going on for many weeks.

How long have Gold security lanes at T3 at Schipol (AMS) been?
https://www.voanews.com/a/klm-suspen...-/6592230.html
Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As there are multiple thread on AMS issues and this same question has been cross posted in the KLM thread (FT rules violation), we close this thread

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.