FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2081340-what-future-hong-kong-united-s-asia-route-network-alternatives.html)

SPN Lifer Sep 28, 2022 1:04 am

It's time for UA to initiate nonstop SFO-GUM service.

lsquare Sep 28, 2022 1:08 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 34636970)
It's time for UA to initiate nonstop SFO-GUM service.

Probably deserves its own thread, my friend.

kevflyer Sep 28, 2022 1:14 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 34636689)
4 is too many PCR tests for most people.

1 is too many. I will wait until there are no more test requirements.

WineCountryUA Sep 28, 2022 1:15 pm

While understanding the testing situation and the change of political environment discourages some/most travelers and therefor impacts UA's view of HKG, this discussion is beginning to sound like a discussion better suited for the HKG forum. So let's return talking about UA and UA's plans for HKG.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

PsiFighter37 Sep 28, 2022 5:30 pm

For UA's network, I imagine they can support 1x SFO-HKG and 1x EWR-HKG at daily frequencies at most, but I would not be surprised if EWR-HKG got axed at some point, especially if Hong Kong more fully loses its regional dominance as a Western-friendly business hub to Singapore. And that Polaris lounge that was scheduled for HKG...well, that's never going to be built. Does UA even still have the space for its own UC at the airport these days?

lsquare Sep 28, 2022 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 34639278)
For UA's network, I imagine they can support 1x SFO-HKG and 1x EWR-HKG at daily frequencies at most, but I would not be surprised if EWR-HKG got axed at some point, especially if Hong Kong more fully loses its regional dominance as a Western-friendly business hub to Singapore. And that Polaris lounge that was scheduled for HKG...well, that's never going to be built. Does UA even still have the space for its own UC at the airport these days?

What do you mean? It does have a UC there, but it remains closed since the start of the pandemic.

dw Sep 28, 2022 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 34639278)
For UA's network, I imagine they can support 1x SFO-HKG and 1x EWR-HKG at daily frequencies at most, but I would not be surprised if EWR-HKG got axed at some point

I can’t see EWR-HKG returning for the time being due to Russian airspace restrictions. On some days, CX’s JFK-HKG flights have been spending upwards of 17 hours in the air. Can UA’s 777s make that without a fuel stop?

Polaris Lounge is clearly dead at this point. I also can’t see them reopening the United Club with just one daily SFO flight; so they’ll probably send J and elite passengers to one of the contract lounges that is currently open.

UA_Flyer Sep 28, 2022 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 34639302)
What do you mean? It does have a UC there, but it remains closed since the start of the pandemic.

It will take time to open.

Look at NRT, it has been over 18 months since the increased flights, but lounge is still closed. UA has much smaller operations out of HKG.

moondog Sep 28, 2022 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 34638631)
While understanding the testing situation and the change of political environment discourages some/most travelers and therefor impacts UA's view of HKG, this discussion is beginning to sound like a discussion better suited for the HKG forum. So let's return talking about UA and UA's plans for HKG.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...iscussion.html

ETA: The above linked thread is from the Asia Miles forum, so I guess that's jumping from one airline forum to another, but 90% of the discussion focuses on HK. There is a similar thread in the HK & Macau forum that never really gained traction.

goodeats21 Sep 29, 2022 4:22 am

Was looking at BKK travel for Jan 2023 and see United.com offering up connections via HKG (with Hong Kong Air segment) to SFO.
That was my preferred route ever since United ended BKK service. But would seem very risky at present, not knowing if SFO<->HKG will actually start again, as well as using HKG as transit point.

moondog Sep 29, 2022 4:54 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 34640275)
Was looking at BKK travel for Jan 2023 and see United.com offering up connections via HKG (with Hong Kong Air segment) to SFO.
That was my preferred route ever since United ended BKK service. But would seem very risky at present, not knowing if SFO<->HKG will actually start again, as well as using HKG as transit point.

For January 2023? I definitely wouldn't chance that. TPE, ICN, DXB, NRT are all safe connection pointe, methinks.

goodeats21 Sep 29, 2022 5:02 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 34640323)
For January 2023? I definitely wouldn't chance that. TPE, ICN, DXB, NRT are all safe connection pointe, methinks.

Agreed, and I chose not to book it. Thought it was interesting United.com was offering it. I imagine there will be some scrambles to figure out options if they postpone SFO/HGK again.

uastarflyer Sep 29, 2022 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 34640332)
Agreed, and I chose not to book it. Thought it was interesting United.com was offering it. I imagine there will be some scrambles to figure out options if they postpone SFO/HGK again.

They would probably reroute via NRT and NH, which is better than Hong Kong Air. Though I am not a fan of Air Japan.

kirkwoodj Sep 29, 2022 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 34641468)
They would probably reroute via NRT and NH, which is better than Hong Kong Air. Though I am not a fan of Air Japan.

I just got rerouted thru NRT for my trip in December, which I will cancel if any mandatory testing remains at that time.

ORDnHKG Sep 29, 2022 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 34639328)
I can’t see EWR-HKG returning for the time being due to Russian airspace restrictions. On some days, CX’s JFK-HKG flights have been spending upwards of 17 hours in the air. Can UA’s 777s make that without a fuel stop?

Polaris Lounge is clearly dead at this point. I also can’t see them reopening the United Club with just one daily SFO flight; so they’ll probably send J and elite passengers to one of the contract lounges that is currently open.

Why wouldn't UA's 777 make that without a fuel stop ??? UA can make that with it's 772 GE as well as 77W, no different than CX's 77W

One flight or not is really irrelevant to open the United club or not, it is more if they get enough contract business, I know pre covid at least LH, NH, and BR were using United club HKG as their contract lounge.