FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2081340-what-future-hong-kong-united-s-asia-route-network-alternatives.html)

lsquare Aug 25, 2022 12:43 am

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks (Post 34543540)
Many, but far from all. A ton of companies require spending on a corporate credit card and those cards would be pretty useless to then have.

If you fly enough, then the perks are worth it. I get your point and I guess everyone will have to decide for themselves whether it's worth those cards. With my card lineup, I never get hungry in any major airports like SFO.

Unitedloyalflyer Aug 25, 2022 12:47 am

Originally Posted by tj96821 (Post 34543040)
Yes, lots of sentimentality at HKG. The F class UA lounge in HKG was actually quite nice. Not quite as nice as UA's F class lounge in NRT but a close second. Prior to Covid, believe UA was going to convert both lounges into Polaris lounges.

Don't think UA will abandon HKG but doubtful it will be hub (not sure HKG was a formal hub even in 2019 but more enlightened minds will certainly know). Once China's draconian Covid rules subside, expect UA to resume HKG operations out of SFO, EWR, GUM, and possibly ORD.

The interesting thing will be whether UA decides to replace HKG as a connecting airport. In the not too distant past, we could fly HKG to GUM, SGN, NRT, MNL and SIN Perhaps UA will decide to fly nonstop from the US to SGN and/or MNL and expand its flights to SIN. While UA ponders expansion into south Asia, perhaps it will also consider resumption of BKK service.

Why use HKG when there is a perfectly good hub already at GUM?

UA_Flyer Aug 25, 2022 5:27 am

Originally Posted by HkCaGu (Post 34301730)
It is profitable because it is monopoly. Delta and everyone else know that and stay away.

Back to HKG, from the perspective of us Hongkongers there and abroad, seeing how friends, relatives, celebrities and YouTubers flying into and out of HKG these days (inbound traffic is increasing because of only-7-day quarantine, outbound traffic is increasing due to you-know-what):

To/from North America: SQ/SIN
To/from Europe: SQ/SIN
To/from Australia: SQ/SIN

I am currently semi- based in HK for work and business reasons.

I have been flying SQ to Australia from HKG.
I have been flying to US via SIN (SQ/UA) or NRT (NH/UA).

There are scheduled flights to Australia and US on CX, but I am a *A loyalist and CX fares are outrageous.

narvik Aug 25, 2022 11:18 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 34543496)
I agree, but I like to think a lot of frequent fliers have an AMEX Platinum in their wallet. IMO, it's a must-have card in a wallet.

Only a recent AMEX Platinum card holder here ( ~ 5 years or so), but there's definitely a lot of value with that card.
Spent most time at the Centurion lounge, and not the UA club, when I was last at HKG in February 2020.

lsquare Aug 25, 2022 11:38 am

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 34544784)
Only a recent AMEX Platinum card holder here ( ~ 5 years or so), but there's definitely a lot of value with that card.
Spent most time at the Centurion lounge, and not the UA club, when I was last at HKG in February 2020.

We might have crossed paths. I was also at HKG CL in February 2020.

WineCountryUA Aug 25, 2022 12:13 pm

let's return to discussion of UA's return to service at HKG,

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

HkCaGu Aug 25, 2022 12:39 pm

Hongkongers residing abroad (if not activists) are finally going back for a visit. Quarantine rules for them are no longer "draconian". But for air crew it's still not acceptable. AC has been using ICN for crew change. Various EU and ME carriers are using BKK. Even UA has been flying Calif-GU-HKG for cargo. Is UA ready to commit to using ICN or GUM or even NRT as a crew change point? Does GUM have problems due to GCQA and USCBP regulatory logistics? HKG FAs are no more, so what about ground staff? (UA was one of very few airlines at HKG not using contractors.)

phranticaw Aug 25, 2022 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 34544923)
let's return to discussion of UA's return to service at HKG,

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

I've got a ticket in late November EWR-HKG.

It appears UA starts the route on 10/29 again. I recall they had plans to start up several times this year and with restrictions it kept getting pushed back. I haven't seen any confirmation other than the schedule that UA still plans to start again on 10/29. No schedule change yet - fingers crossed it starts .... 60some days out at this point.

UA_Flyer Aug 25, 2022 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by phranticaw (Post 34545512)
I've got a ticket in late November EWR-HKG.

It appears UA starts the route on 10/29 again. I recall they had plans to start up several times this year and with restrictions it kept getting pushed back. I haven't seen any confirmation other than the schedule that UA still plans to start again on 10/29. No schedule change yet - fingers crossed it starts .... 60some days out at this point.

Unless HK change it’s quarantine requirements, I still don’t see UA restart its flights without being creative such as using ICN for crew change (similar to the PVG flight).

UA could also rebook you on EWR-NRT then NRT-HKG (NH) to get you to HK. I have done the US-NRT-HKG (UA/NH) itinerary a few times this year.

lsquare Aug 25, 2022 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 34545535)
Unless HK change it’s quarantine requirements, I still don’t see UA restart its flights without being creative such as using ICN for crew change (similar to the PVG flight).

UA could also rebook you on EWR-NRT then NRT-HKG (NH) to get you to HK. I have done the US-NRT-HKG (UA/NH) itinerary a few times this year.

I don't really understand why the need for a crew change at ICN or any other city. Won't the new crew face the same quarantine risk when they arrive in HKG?

moondog Aug 25, 2022 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 34545605)
I don't really understand why the need for a crew change at ICN or any other city. Won't the new crew face the same quarantine risk when they arrive in HKG?

They don't leave the gate area, and in some cases stay on the airplane.

narvik Aug 25, 2022 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 34545605)

What moondog said. The flight after the crew change airport is short enough for the crew not to time out when completing the return flight also.

emcampbe Aug 25, 2022 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 34545630)
What moondog said. The flight after the crew change airport is short enough for the crew not to time out when completing the return flight also.

don’t they need to change the flight timings for this? At least pre-pandemic, didn’t all (or at least, most) of the UA aircraft overnight at HKG (or go onwards to SIN/SGN back in those days), requiring crew to stay in HKG.

moondog Aug 25, 2022 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 34545730)
don’t they need to change the flight timings for this? At least pre-pandemic, didn’t all (or at least, most) of the UA aircraft overnight at HKG (or go onwards to SIN/SGN back in those days), requiring crew to stay in HKG.

I only have direct knowledge about PVG, but I assume HKG operations are similar.
-No AA, AF, DL, or UA airplanes overnight in PVG
-In the case of UA857/858, I don't think there is any overnighting involved; 857 arrives in Shanghai at 530p and departs as 858 at 11p (in theory); after the 90-minute stop in ICN, it continues onto SFO
-last year, I flew AA from PVG to DFW and the drill was the same as 857/858
-I honestly can't recall what the schedules were before ICN was injected into the mix, except for the fact that they had afternoon arrivals in the US just like we have now

SPN Lifer Aug 26, 2022 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer (Post # 92) (Post 34543553)
Why use HKG when there is a perfectly good hub already at GUM?

Hear, hear!