Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR agents refused to add companion to the upgrade list

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR agents refused to add companion to the upgrade list

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2022, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The simplest solution is give the gf the upgrade and not worry about it.
100% correct. I tried, but she wouldn't take it. Next best thing was just to stretch out in E+ together.

Originally Posted by fumje
If you refuse at check-in, you won't be upgraded. You can delay check-in in the hopes you clear together without splitting.
Ah, gotcha. So that's the move next time. I wasn't familiar with these nuances. Thank you.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 30, 2022 at 3:34 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 30, 2022, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quikj
Ah, gotcha. So that's the move next time. I wasn't familiar with these nuances. Thank you.
Good luck for then!
Old May 30, 2022, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
As a matter of customer service, it's lousy that UA still has these system limitations requiring PNR splits for upgrade chances and then resulting loss of companion upgrade benefits on future segments.
Air Houston likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 4:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
As a matter of customer service, it's lousy that UA still has these system limitations requiring PNR splits for upgrade chances and then resulting loss of companion upgrade benefits on future segments.
As noted earlier, No more splitting PNRs to get on the upgrade list? (but still split if upgraded) and recent reports suggest spliting PNRs goes maintain the original elites status. Suspect the OP's case was the exception and not the present norm as UA seems to have addressed the worst of the issues.
Old May 30, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Many experienced agents took early outs during the pandemic, which caused to vanish a lot of institutional knowledge and familiarity with "native" SHARES, through which a command can be manually entered to add an off-PNR companion (of a given status tier) to the upgrade list at the airport. This was the approved method for companion upgrades (Gold and higher) in the CO days. Thus, most agents who are familiar with the process are former CO, but plenty of UA people picked it up in the post-merger timeframe as well. Now, with newer agents who are substantially only trained on the GUI overlays, which automate most functions but do not provide for manual, off-PNR companion upgrades, there are fewer agents who are able to do this.

Moral of the story: it's still technically possible but not actually an approved/published way to list companion upgrades. Grab bag/YMMV with agents.
SPN Lifer and LETTERBOY like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Here is the root cause of the problem ..... EWR gate agent.
Old May 30, 2022, 8:21 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by quikj
Your point about the written benefits is well taken. It's just been nice being able to share some of my elite benefits with my companion.

The app seemed to ask me if I wanted to be added to the upgrade list at all. I wasn't aware that I could refuse and possibly still get us upgraded. I would have preferred not to split us as the goal was always to sit with her, as I did in economy plus once I refused the upgrade at the gate.
On a recent SFO-NRT flight, once boarded, an upgraded PAX (economy to Premium Plus) found her upgraded seat was taken. Seated gentleman was surprised as well. It turned out husband got upgraded to Polaris class, not wife. Husband did not want to separate from wife. Husband refused upgrade. Next person in line received the upgrade to Polaris class.
bescobar likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 8:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Welcome to United customer service
Old May 30, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Classic EWR "service."
quikj likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, 2 Million Miller
Perhaps this discussion could have been avoided by paying for the companion's upgrade or decling the upgrade ad sitting with her.....
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bescobar
Perhaps this discussion could have been avoided by paying for the companion's upgrade or decling the upgrade ad sitting with her.....
I chose the latter.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Plat
The main question which I don't see addressed is was this revenue or award?

If revenue, then yes you can waitlist per policy and aero will allow it.

If award, then no. I believe if you had cleared prior to 24 hrs (obvi not possible for a silver) you could both be upgraded. Not a published benefit. But once you split, you cannot rewaitlist the companion, at least thru official channels. Speaking from experience here. With that being said, agents can upgrade anyone for any reason.

ETA: Sorry for late reply. I have a backlog of FT posts to read after an extended vacation. haha
quikj likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
The main question which I don't see addressed is was this revenue or award?

If revenue, then yes you can waitlist per policy and aero will allow it.

If award, then no. I believe if you had cleared prior to 24 hrs (obvi not possible for a silver) you could both be upgraded. Not a published benefit. But once you split, you cannot rewaitlist the companion, at least thru official channels. Speaking from experience here. With that being said, agents can upgrade anyone for any reason.

ETA: Sorry for late reply. I have a backlog of FT posts to read after an extended vacation. haha
It was a revenue flight. Trying to make Gold, so saving up all of my miles for travel next year.

Thanks for the additional information about award flights.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:35 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
FYI, this is also why I always book one-ways when I have traveling companions, I've got upgrade potential and the price is the same (most of the time). If split on the outbound, there's no worry about the return. Doesn't help the OP here, but some advice for future bookings.
cesco.g and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.