Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Northeast Winter Weather 27-28 May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 9:21 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Waiver: Northeast Winter Weather

winter?? end of May??

another cut and paste error of a previous waiver??
Looks like its fixed...

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...merica-waivers

and it's already ugly...

https://nasstatus.faa.gov/list
Old May 27, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by goalie
Rotation and Tornado warning indicated next to iad

Last edited by prestonh; May 27, 2022 at 10:21 am
Old May 27, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
They've already scrapped most of the EWR shuttle for the rest of today.

I'll probably be on my backup Amtrak ticket tomorrow.
Old May 27, 2022, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Waiver: Northeast Winter Weather
winter?? end of May??
If it was Colorado, absolutely... 10" of snow in Denver burbs last weekend.
beachmouse likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by omaralt
got the same email.. flying 6 passengers (in business) TPA-EWR-GVA.. with 6 passengers in business the next available date for us would go from 5/28 to 6/1.. really debating what to do. I think i'll just roll with it and hope our flight to EWR doesn't get cancelled or delayed considerably (2.5hr layover)
For some reason I read GVA as GNV and was wondering why you'd go that far out of your way to fly that itinerary, but then I thought this is FT. It's what we do. Doh!! Hope your flights work out okay.
beachmouse likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by omaralt (Post # 15)
got the same email.. flying 6 passengers (in business) TPA-EWR-GVA.
Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post # 20)
For some reason I read GVA as GNV and was wondering why you'd go that far out of your way to fly that itinerary, but then I thought this is FT. It's what we do.
GNV = Gainesville, Florida
Old May 28, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, OZ Diamond, AC Prestige25K
UA 457 (EWR SLC) delayed 17 hours...and counting

Last night's 7pm departure was delayed to 9am this morning, ostensibly due to weather reasons (even though Delta's EWR SLC flight departed the same evening). It was further delayed to 11am due to lack of a rested captain to fly the plane. UA staff continue to claim this stems from the original weather issue and thus denies any compensation. Meanwhile, another Delta flight left without issue this morning on the same route. What is going on? I would expect operations at a UA hub to be much smoother than this. Embarassing...
Old May 28, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Evenings at EWR lately have been disastrous. Delays stacked on delays, gate availability issues, staffing problems, weather, etc. Layer on the end of the month, with crewmembers hitting legal duty limits (and thus ineligible to fly) and it's not a good situation. I am recommending to anyone who will listen to avoid EWR this summer after 3pm (arriving or departing) if at all possible. Of course, in many cases, it isn't.

Technically I can see how it stems from some weather disruptions at EWR this week so United's response, while frustrating, isn't a falsehood.

Originally Posted by chronicrelief
Last night's 7pm departure was delayed to 9am this morning, ostensibly due to weather reasons (even though Delta's EWR SLC flight departed the same evening). It was further delayed to 11am due to lack of a rested captain to fly the plane. UA staff continue to claim this stems from the original weather issue and thus denies any compensation. Meanwhile, another Delta flight left without issue this morning on the same route. What is going on? I would expect operations at a UA hub to be much smoother than this. Embarassing...
The reference to Delta is ironic because its operation is in the midst of a meltdown. Everyone is having issues this weekend but by comparison Delta is taking it the hardest.
SPN Lifer and rmadisonwi like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 10:30 am

Good advice, would JFK be better?

The reference to Delta is to indicate that it cannot be a simple weather issue as other airlines flew the same route with much shorter delays.

Also, I have flown on 1000s of Delta flights and while many have been delayed, none have been delayed more than a couple of hours. 17 hours + 2 more on the ground with no compensation is ridiculous. Folks got so frustrated half the passengers deplaned.
Old May 28, 2022, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Looks like the flight has left the gate 16.5 hours delayed.

My EWR to SFO flight last week left some 20+ hours after originally scheduled time. Also got another issue ex-IAD at present time - I am not really meant to travel to the west coast, or travel on UA (either or both). Two straight weeks of IRROPS.
​​​​​
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott

The reference to Delta is to indicate that it cannot be a simple weather issue as other airlines flew the same route with much shorter delays.

Also, I have flown on 1000s of Delta flights and while many have been delayed, none have been delayed more than a couple of hours. 17 hours + 2 more on the ground with no compensation is ridiculous. Folks got so frustrated half the passengers deplaned.
I'm not sure if any of NYC airports are markedly better in terms of delays, statistically that's not really born out, but in these instances it's often better to be at an outstation because airlines at hub stations are shuffling crews, airplanes and gates around lots of different flights, and problems tend to snowball. DL EWR-SLC usually operates as a turn with SLC-based crew, out-and-back, so unless EWR weather is an issue at that moment, if the flight leaves SLC on time, the return leg is probably going to go without a hitch. It's really a case-by-case kind of thing.

And my reference to Delta is not to suggest that they run a worse operation, or that historical conditions have any bearing on the current situation, but it's been well-reported that Delta is in a major crunch this summer, especially this weekend, and is proactively canceling a lot of flights (orders of magnitude above its usual ~0) as a result.
chronicrelief likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Good luck. Various threads on here (one about a EWR-KEF flight running late 100% of the time just about) have brought up the disaster that EWR is lately, especially for anything departing mid-afternoon or later. It appears to be an airport to avoid at all costs, and if you can't, roll the dice and have contingency plans.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 11:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Just because an airline operated does not mean all flights are operating. In major weather related issue, the airport isn't closed, some flights operate, just not all. So the facto a flight occurred and another flight did not does not mean there are weather issues -- you flight is the unlucky one to be impacted. DL may have chosen other flights from other non-hubs to delay.

27 May DL cancelled 7% of its flights and delayed 25%, UA 2% and 31% with Newark as an airport 18% cancelled and 38% delayed

DL the home of the 24 hours delay? to avoid cancellations,
Old May 28, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion

Sorry for you getting stuck in a severe weather event. it happens. Did you attempt a re-route (other hub, OAL etc.?) just because they keep you on the original flight does not mean you can look at other options. What coverage does your travel insurance offer for weather irrops? Are you challenging the fact there was not a weather event that caused flight disruptions? It was a substantial line of storms which moved through. Any airline with a hub in the area (UA had two hubs affected IAD and EWR) would have been disrupted.

SPN Lifer and CApreppie like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by prestonh
Sorry for you getting stuck in a severe weather event. it happens. Did you attempt a re-route (other hub, OAL etc.?) just because they keep you on the original flight does not mean you can look at other options. What coverage does your travel insurance offer for weather irrops? Are you challenging the fact there was not a weather event that caused flight disruptions? It was a substantial line of storms which moved through. Any airline with a hub in the area (UA had two hubs affected IAD and EWR) would have been disrupted.

I looked both on GF and talked to UC agents, there were no other options that got me to SLC on the same day. I would think a connection option through IAH or ORD would exist but none avail.

Also, I am covered by CC travel delay insurance (so this is not a financial issue) but lots of opportunity cost and frustration.

Weather was definitely a factor for a few hours but given that other flights on other airlines left successfully that night clearly operational struggles at EWR were the dominating factor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.