Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2022, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dilanesp
Those studies are wrong- and we have tons of fast food purchase data that proves it.

I think this is much closer to Van Halen wanting one color M&M's removed from the bowl.
Come on, we're bordering on parody here. Those studies are not wrong. The fact that someone eats something unappealing to you does not mean appeal has no influence on enjoyment for anyone.

The meal above looks slapdash, and when it's all they serve month after month, the shortcomings become glaring.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
Come on, we're bordering on parody here. Those studies are not wrong. The fact that someone eats something unappealing to you does not mean appeal has no influence on enjoyment for anyone.

The meal above looks slapdash, and when it's all they serve month after month, the shortcomings become glaring.
United just needs to change the catering company by paying slightly more money.
By the way, the catering company for AA is not that busy for foods serving domestic FC (ie, no warm foods) right now. AA's international business class foods are outstanding, compared to UA. I guess that their domestic FC foods pre-pandemic were better than UA.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
That is not the only food served on that flight.
1/3 carrot and 1/8 zucchini isn稚 food
Old Feb 18, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Those studies are wrong- and we have tons of fast food purchase data that proves it.

I think this is much closer to Van Halen wanting one color M&M's removed from the bowl.
Firstly, It痴 actually part of the on-board catering instructions UA gives FAs since the move to pre-plating - if you watch the galley closely most FAs do this, especially on internationals with the larger casserole dish.

Secondly, the bread vs pie wrapping comment is a question of logic.

Speaking of logic, the Fast Food visual presentation studies you reference are irrelevant to this topic, as onboard catering is not fast food. Michelin scores restaurants based on visual presentation as an entire category. At $1500 roundtrip a ticket this week, it was not a fast food endeavor.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
1/3 carrot and 1/8 zucchini isn稚 food
Yes but the seat is comfortable
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by fumje

Here's what I think. I think that there's a narrative that some folks here subscribe to. It exists in the world too, and I don't want to pretend there's anything weird about it. But it's a narrative. It says "this is a luxury product, and one of the ways that signals this is a luxury product to me is if the staff serves me". Just like at a nice restaurant, the waiter opens the door for you, pulls your chair out, comes periodically to check on you and bring you another drink, calls you "sir", etc.

But the thing is, that sounds a little bad and people are aware it sounds a little bad. Because we all know FA's are there for our safety, that they aren't waiters or personal servants, that airplanes are not restaurants, etc. And we know as well that a lot of folks in First Class are up there for free, didn't pay full fare, didn't pay for the ticket at all, etc.

So we get arguments like "a pretzel roll tastes different if the FA unwraps it". No, it doesn't, and me saying that is not parody. It's true. It doesn't. It tastes exactly the same. But if the passenger has to unwrap it, the passenger is not being served, he is being forced to take care of something himself. And a small segment of the traveling public, probably overrepresented on FT, likes the notion of FA's "serving" them.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by greenpau
Firstly, It痴 actually part of the on-board catering instructions UA gives FAs since the move to pre-plating
What is the obsession with whether UA follows its internal rules? Those rules are internal. They aren't on the website. They are a matter between UA and its employees. They aren't the passengers' business.

This is true with any business. I am sure many employees I interact with sometimes violate company policies. Indeed, they sometimes do it to help a customer. It's not my business.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Here's what I think. I think that there's a narrative that some folks here subscribe to. It exists in the world too, and I don't want to pretend there's anything weird about it. But it's a narrative. It says "this is a luxury product, and one of the ways that signals this is a luxury product to me is if the staff serves me". Just like at a nice restaurant, the waiter opens the door for you, pulls your chair out, comes periodically to check on you and bring you another drink, calls you "sir", etc.

But the thing is, that sounds a little bad and people are aware it sounds a little bad. Because we all know FA's are there for our safety, that they aren't waiters or personal servants, that airplanes are not restaurants, etc. And we know as well that a lot of folks in First Class are up there for free, didn't pay full fare, didn't pay for the ticket at all, etc.

So we get arguments like "a pretzel roll tastes different if the FA unwraps it". No, it doesn't, and me saying that is not parody. It's true. It doesn't. It tastes exactly the same. But if the passenger has to unwrap it, the passenger is not being served, he is being forced to take care of something himself. And a small segment of the traveling public, probably overrepresented on FT, likes the notion of FA's "serving" them.
There's also a narrative that comes from the flight attendants about "Service is our passion"
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is the obsession with whether UA follows its internal rules? Those rules are internal. They aren't on the website. They are a matter between UA and its employees. They aren't the passengers' business.

This is true with any business. I am sure many employees I interact with sometimes violate company policies. Indeed, they sometimes do it to help a customer. It's not my business.
I don't think anyone is hoping FAs bend the rules; I think the desire is for UA to update the catering and the service notes.

It doesn't need to be luxe, and I don't expect it to be, but the point of recent discussion is that there are quite a few small details that contribute to significant worsening of the experience. No worries, you can be oblivious to those details, but it doesn't negate that many of us notice them.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Because UA has never made a mistake it has come to regret later, right?
What metrics show they are making a mistake?

According to many of the threads - people are buying F or otherwise filling the cabin with buyups - during a pandemic. Heck, I had to buyup to F on a 777-200 last Wednesday SFO-HNL, one of the slowest travel days to Hawaii.

Or, is it simply not true - people aren't buying these F seats and UA is making some colossal mistake - based on some metric I can't find.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
As someone who flew 4-6 times a year international business class (occasionally splurging on F for AF or BA) for the last decade or two, I did not find the difference in seats to be that great between Polaris and the non-US airlines. I did find the F&B miles better on the other airlines. Never had a bad meal on them, and usually had a good and pleasurable experience. But I frequently had bad meals on UA Polaris. Bad fish, in particular. Pasta often not very good. Short ribs or steak was usually the safest bet. Also, I was flying from places that did not have Polaris lounges to offset that. But overall I was happier flying LH, AF, BA or the like than on UA. In fact, I preferred AF to UA even back when AF had the slightly tilted seats. I tend to value soft product over hard to some degree. I like travel and consider that part of the experience. But that is just me. If you don't eat or drink on the plane, UA is just fine.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by DoctorORD
Sorry, what? I have to fly FIRST class in order to get a decent meal that isn't United Polaris business class food? LH/OS/LX all have excellent food in business, Turkish is also excellent. Delta and AA are miles ahead as well.

This is what I was served. This is a Y class meal upgraded with a bunch of PlusPoints:

The entree is straight from Lean Cuisine, bread was hard, salad was meh. Plus no menu, or drink/wine list? Oh, and look, the post-departure nuts and champagne also came on this plate as well- I guess flight attendants railing against Covid is to blame for this "all on one tray" concept, even though every single passenger on this plane was mandated to have a negative PCR before flight. (And even AA doesn't serve the nuts on the main dinner tray). At least the ice cream was soft by the time I ate it, although it would be really nice if UA brought back sundaes. The AA celebrity chef thing seems to work really well at AA -- wonder if there are any plans to overhaul UA food? The people celebrating the food on this thread truly have Stockholm Syndrome.
UA's food is horrible and their FAs are sub-par but that is not what I'm paying for; I need a very long seat in order to sleep because I am tall. I only book the bulkhead seats in row 1 or 9 on the 77W to get the longest bed possible. I admit that I don't feel like I'm getting good value for my money when the food is essentially a TV dinner that I don't even eat (90% of the time) because it's so bad, but I really need those longer bulkhead seats and UA is the best for that.

Last edited by zombietooth; Feb 18, 2022 at 10:18 am
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
What metrics show they are making a mistake?

According to many of the threads - people are buying F or otherwise filling the cabin with buyups - during a pandemic. Heck, I had to buyup to F on a 777-200 last Wednesday SFO-HNL, one of the slowest travel days to Hawaii.

Or, is it simply not true - people aren't buying these F seats and UA is making some colossal mistake - based on some metric I can't find.
You are generalizing something with one data point. I could easily give you examples of the opposite - e.g. perfect 11 for 11 on complementary upgrades in 2022 with 3 different carriers; 5 for 5 on instrument upgrade on widebody, and would have been 6/6 if not for a GA who didn't process the upgrade list on a narrowbody (752) requiring PP; upcoming trip: SFO - EWR only 50% seat taken on a 763, and only 4 pax on the upgrade list; similar numbers the other way.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
You are generalizing something with one data point. I could easily give you examples of the opposite - e.g. perfect 11 for 11 on complementary upgrades in 2022 with 3 different carriers; 5 for 5 on instrument upgrade on widebody, and would have been 6/6 if not for a GA who didn't process the upgrade list on a narrowbody (752) requiring PP; upcoming trip: SFO - EWR only 50% seat taken on a 763, and only 4 pax on the upgrade list; similar numbers the other way.
One data point? Dozens upon dozens of posts about lack of upgrades - and full F - buried down the list as a 1K - I don't have the time or energy to look them all up. If people are getting perfect or near perfect upgrade success - they sure don't like to talk about it.

Now - if we are all getting near 100% upgrades - I'll join the camp of UA is doing something wrong and needs to do something so upgrades don't happen.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
One data point? Dozens upon dozens of posts about lack of upgrades - and full F - buried down the list as a 1K - I don't have the time or energy to look them all up. If people are getting perfect or near perfect upgrade success - they sure don't like to talk about it.

Now - if we are all getting near 100% upgrades - I'll join the camp of UA is doing something wrong and needs to do something so upgrades don't happen.
As if FT is a good representative of the general flying population, and even elites.

Every flight is different - time of day, day of week, weekday vs. weekend, etc would influence the perspective in one direction or another. Absent actual data, it's all anecdote experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.