Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA PrePaid Bags: Q&A, issues, experiences, refunds, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Prepay for your checked bags
You can choose to pay for up to nine checked bags per person any time before the 24-hour check-in window for your flight.]We're excited to offer you the convenience of prepaying for checked bags on United® and United Express® flights. For select destinations, you'll even save money on checked bag fees when you prepay.

Make the check-in process easier by paying online before your flight. When you get to the airport, you can print out your bag tags at a United kiosk, attach the tag to your bags, then leave them with an agent at the bag drop counter. It's that simple.

Prepaying for checked bags isn't available for oversized and overweight bags, as well as special items. You must prepay for your checked bags at least 24 hours before your flight in order to receive any savings.

To start
How it works
  1. Visit united.com and enter your confirmation number.
  2. Select the "Prepay bags" icon.
  3. Enter your information and look over all the details.
  4. Select "Continue to payment."

At the airport
When you get to the airport, we'll already recognize you prepaid for your bags. Simply stop by a United kiosk to check in and print your bag tag. Attach the tag to your bags, then leave them with an agent at the bag drop counter.
T&Cs
  • You can choose to pay for up to nine checked bags per person any time before the 24-hour check-in window for your flight.
  • You can't pay for oversized and overweight bags, as well as special items, before arriving to the airport.
  • You must still comply with airport baggage check-in time limits.
  • This product applies to customers traveling on flights operated by United Airlines or United Express and marketed by United Airlines. Other United codeshare flights do not apply.
  • We calculate charges based on standard bag sizes for flights per person and each way.
  • All prepaid bags are subject to standard size and weight limitations.
  • Checked bags are subject to United baggage rules

How do I prepay for my bags before traveling?

You can choose to pay for up to nine bags per person on united.com under the "My trips" tab. To access the prepayment capability there, select the "Prepay bags" icon.

Can I prepay for bags over the phone?

This feature is currently only available on united.com.

Why can't I prepay for bags, even though I just bought my flight?

Don't worry, you'll still be able to prepay for bags — just try again in an hour. In some cases, it can take an hour or two for our system to issue the ticket for your reservation, after which you'll be able to prepay.

Will I still get my free bags as a MileagePlus® member with status or cardholder?

Yes, our system will automatically recognize if you get any free bag allowances.

Can I prepay for sporting equipment?

No. Oversized and overweight bags, as well as special items, must be paid for at the airport.

When can I prepay for my checked bags?

You can prepay for your checked bags any time before the 24-hour check-in window for your flight.

Am I eligible to receive a discount by prepaying for my bags?

Starting February 21, 2020, you're eligible for savings on checked bag fees if you prepay for bags on a United or United Express flight scheduled to depart on or after March 6, 2020. This discount is only available on domestic U.S. flights as well as flights to the Caribbean, Mexico and Latin America that originate in the U.S. Use our baggage calculator to find out how much it will cost to check a bag on any upcoming flight.

Can I prepay for bags for multiple passengers on the same PNR?

Yes, you can prepay for multiple bags for multiple passengers on the same PNR.

Can I make changes to my flight?

Yes. If you take a different flight on the same day of original booking, the bags that you paid for will transfer to your new flight.

If I bought my ticket through a third party, can I still prepay for my bags?

Yes. As long as your flight is operated by United Airlines or United Express and marketed by United Airlines, you can prepay for bags.

What's a personal item?

On most flights, you're allowed to bring on board one carry-on bag and one personal item. Your personal item is something that should fit underneath the seat in front of you, like a purse or a backpack. There are important exceptions, including for customers traveling on Basic Economy tickets. Learn more about personal items and carry-on bags.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2021, 4:25 am
Original Poster

UA issues processing pre-payments for bags

TLDR - not sure why United couldn't accept payment for a prepaid bag, even though my card shows pending (not denied or fraud or credit limit) charges. I reached out and UAL support and they had no answer but try again. So it takes 3 charges to pay for a bag?

Take my money! Or try to! Or just fix it. Now I have a thread to complain.

I always fly AAL, DAL, and SWA for free bags (cc for the first, and of course SWA for the love).

I have no status nor care to.

To finish a final leg from Europe this fall I was stuck in Houston. To Austin. Easy?

Finally there was a cost affordable ($80) that would make up for the inconvenience of alternatives.

Cool. Booked basic economy. I'll have a bag. Prepay $30.

I'm sure there was an IT bug, but calling chase to figure out why I have charges for the bag but united says no... And united just says try again...

Over the support line they said... Try again. I said just add the bag it's been too much effort. They said go online and try again. If it doesn't work the third time... Then they will let IT know. Shouldn't they note that already?

They could have easily made it better but now I'll probably never fly them again if I have the choice.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 12:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Well, at least you have until September to figure it out. I hope you feel better after venting.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 12:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
My rule of thumb -- if you have a pending charge don't try any additional charges (if you have time) until the pending posts or disappear. Repeative attempts can lead to multiple billing and even more grief. Just have a little patience
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:41 am

Apologies if this has been asked previously.
Traveling JFK-SAN soon and have been unable to pre-pay for hold bags. Trying through MMB says

Your flight is ineligible for prepaid bags..

Same message on subsequent SAN-LAS flight. I’m sure we can pay at check in but how do I know the cost prior? Experiences with some airlines mean huge cost of booking hold bags at check in. Plus, if it claims pre-pay and save, why won’t it allow it?
thanks in advance.
For info we are UK citizens if that matters.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Did you book a fare in a class of service that includes a free checked bag allowance?

In my experience, the UA website/UA app will still show the "pre-pay and save" message incorrectly even when you already have a bag allowance on the ticket.

(And there is no pre-pay discount that would apply to an already free checked bag)
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jim98
Apologies if this has been asked previously.
Traveling JFK-SAN soon and have been unable to pre-pay for hold bags. Trying through MMB says

Your flight is ineligible for prepaid bags..

Same message on subsequent SAN-LAS flight. I’m sure we can pay at check in but how do I know the cost prior? Experiences with some airlines mean huge cost of booking hold bags at check in. Plus, if it claims pre-pay and save, why won’t it allow it?
thanks in advance.
For info we are UK citizens if that matters.
The cost is on your eticket receipt.

Assuming you booked directly through UA, search for an email from United entitled "eTicket itinerary and receipt for confirmation XXXXX" where XXXXX is your record locator. Scroll down past the itinerary and there should be a section called "Baggage allowance and charges for this itinerary". That has the information you are looking for.

If you booked through someone else (travel agent or another airline) they should have emailed you something similar. If not, call them and ask where you can find the baggage allowance from the eTicket.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Wooglin
Did you book a fare in a class of service that includes a free checked bag allowance?

In my experience, the UA website/UA app will still show the "pre-pay and save" message incorrectly even when you already have a bag allowance on the ticket.

(And there is no pre-pay discount that would apply to an already free checked bag)
We are in economy, although have upgraded the seats for the JKK- SAN leg. Since posting this thread I’ve downloaded the app and it seemingly allows me to pay for bags . However when I try it won’t allow it as my credit card doesn’t have a US billing address.
Very frustrating, especially as in MMB it quotes a cost of $26 per bag and the app quotes $30 per bag. Who know what they will charge at check in.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
We are in economy, although have upgraded the seats for the JKK- SAN leg. Since posting this thread I’ve downloaded the app and it seemingly allows me to pay for bags . However when I try it won’t allow it as my credit card doesn’t have a US billing address.
Very frustrating, especially as in MMB it quotes a cost of $26 per bag and the app quotes $30 per bag. Who know what they will charge at check in.
I assume you mean EWR-SAN, and the baggage calculator indicates that you'll pay no more than $35 for the first standard-sized checked bag if you're flying economy and have no status. You won't need to worry about being charged anything more than that.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
However when I try it won’t allow it as my credit card doesn’t have a US billing address.
Have you tried entering the first line & city of your UK (presumably) address then along with a US state and corresponding correct US zip for that state?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 9:06 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I assume you mean EWR-SAN, and the baggage calculator indicates that you'll pay no more than $35 for the first standard-sized checked bag if you're flying economy and have no status. You won't need to worry about being charged anything more than that.
Correct, unless the baggage is overweight or oversized.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 10:03 am

Thanks all. Apologies for JFK error, yes it’s EWR.
Using the app it states I can pay $30 / bag if I pay in advance rather than the usual $35.
I’ll try and use the US state and zip code method, cheers.

Jim
Old Apr 26, 2022, 10:22 am

I had the same issue last year, and it also happened to some other people who responded on my thread. None of us could figure out for sure why, and even the phone agents couldn't figure it out.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 26, 2022 at 12:09 pm Reason: cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Apr 26, 2022, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
I had the same issue last year, and it also happened to some other people who responded on my thread. None of us could figure out for sure why, and even the phone agents couldn't figure it out. Thread here: Ineligible for prepaid bags
Thanks, all rather irritating, especially as I should be able to through the app but can’t because of the billing address.
Very wierd.
Old May 6, 2022, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Payed for checked bags, then changed flights

I'm asking this for a friend. I've never actually paid for a checked bag so I have no idea how this works.

My friend is on an AC ticketed and marketed flight, with the first segment on UA. AC FF number on the res so no UA status (and only *S through AC so no bag fee waiver).

She checked in this morning (for her flight tomorrow morning) and prepaid to check a bag. She then got an email from AC, informing her of a travel waiver (thunderstorms in NYC) so she changed her reservation to leave later in the day tomorrow and transit a different airport.

The first flight is still on UA (though it's a different flight). The UA record locator remained the same and updated with her new flights, but her prepaid bag is gone.

Is this normal? Will she have to pay again when she checks in for her new flight? If so, will she get a refund for the checked bag on the old flight?
Old May 6, 2022, 12:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm asking this for a friend. I've never actually paid for a checked bag so I have no idea how this works.

My friend is on an AC ticketed and marketed flight, with the first segment on UA. AC FF number on the res so no UA status (and only *S through AC so no bag fee waiver).

She checked in this morning (for her flight tomorrow morning) and prepaid to check a bag. She then got an email from AC, informing her of a travel waiver (thunderstorms in NYC) so she changed her reservation to leave later in the day tomorrow and transit a different airport.

The first flight is still on UA (though it's a different flight). The UA record locator remained the same and updated with her new flights, but her prepaid bag is gone.

Is this normal? Will she have to pay again when she checks in for her new flight? If so, will she get a refund for the checked bag on the old flight?
UA states

Can I make changes to my flight?

Yes. If you take a different flight on the same day of original booking, the bags that you paid for will transfer to your new flight.
So a lot will depend on how AC handle the change. Did they cancel and rebook or did they do what UA would see as "change".
See what happens on check-in, pay the bag fee if required. And request a refund from UA of the original prepaid fees

If done directly with UA, this may have worked but with AC involved and traveling on a different day, it may not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.