Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upcoming trip to Europe. Several questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming trip to Europe. Several questions

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

We are going to Budapest early September to begin a river cruise, ending in Amsterdam. Flying out of either IAH or AUS. We live about halfway between them but AUS is SO much easier. Non stop AUS/FRA/AUS a few years ago was awesome! We are hoping for saver award business class, on any airline that will get us there, but, ideally, UA or LH. Right now there are no saver awards for a reasonable cost. Most flights are about 155k miles. Some are 250k for Saver. That's outrageous. Other days near our dates are a reasonable 70ishk miles. Four months out so hoping for the best. We have enough miles (about 800k) to do RT biz at 155k each but I sure hate to spend that. (and probably wouldn't) We can get Premium Economy for about 120k on most UA flights. Some as little as 100k. But I've seen some flights where PE requires more miles than Biz class! Crazy.

Questions:

Is Premium Economy worth the difference over Economy Plus?

I've heard that if you book PE, and seats in Biz are available on day of departure, they might move PE pax up to Biz in order to sell the PE seats, or move E+ up to PE to sell more E+. Is that a possibility?

Economy can be easily had on most flights for 30k miles. If you buy these seats, can we "upgrade to E+ using miles? Looking at these options only in the event we can't get business award seats. We may have to settle for E+. We have done international E+ in the past but have got spoiled with Biz class over the past few years.

Some of the flights we are looking at show pretty short connections at LHR, FRA, and VIE. About 1:25 in LHR. :55 and 1:30 at FRA. I:15 at VIE. Seems risky even if the plane arrives on time. Munich is also about 1:20 but I've heard that's much easier than FRA would be.

Would connecting in VIE be easier coming from LHR, than if connecting from a US flight?

And what about domestic connections? ORD, IAD, and EWR. Assuming mainline UA metal and not UX, would connections to UA international flights need a lot of time? One ORD connection I saw was 55 minutes, scary if your inbound is delayed.

When might we see Business Saver awards open up for Sept 2 departure and Sept 18 return from AMS? There are Biz saver awards available a few days before and a few days after those dates. I hope that as time gets closer, they'll open up Biz saver for our dates.

If we book Biz at 150k miles and later, they reduce to 60k-70k, can we rebook or ask for an adjustment?

I've seen a few flights involving LOT and TK. They would possibly work for us but nothing fits our schedule yet. Even saw Singapore out of JFK to MAN but that would make a hard connection getting out of MAN. (Biz seats on Singapore would be awesome, though.) And, over the winter, I was seeing a lot of AC Biz seats available, but nothing at all lately.

I know this is rambling but I'd really appreciate any input to any of my questions.

Thanks!

=====================

Looking at booking either IAH to BUD in early September. One of the options is IAH to LHR, then connect on Austria Air to VIE and then on to BUD. All of the connections are about 1:25. That might be doable in VIE but I'm concerned about LHR. Seems pretty risky. We are being driven by finding Saver Miles Biz Class. There are other options: FRA/MUC.

Thoughts?

====================
One of the possibilities for my flights from either IAH/AUS to BUD is via FRA on either UA or LH. Connections are as little as 55 minutes. One is 1:25. Or it might be as much as six hours! Somewhere in between would be nice. Even in the best of times, 55 minutes seems really tight to arrive, clear immigration, and board another flight. 1:25 also seems doubtful.

Are these really possibilities? We hope to be in business class, so that would help a wee bit, I guess.

Last edited by Kensterfly; May 3, 2022 at 10:42 am Reason: merge a number of duplicate overlapping posts
Old May 2, 2022, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Looking at booking either IAH to BUD in early September. One of the options is IAH to LHR, then connect on Austria Air to VIE and then on to BUD. All of the connections are about 1:25. That might be doable in VIE but I'm concerned about LHR. Seems pretty risky. We are being driven by finding Saver Miles Biz Class. There are other options: FRA/MUC.

Thoughts?
As of right now OS is also using Terminal 2 -- and once you land (and take that really long walk to transit security) transit security in T2 is a breeze -- and OS uses the A gates that are right there as you exit transit security... I wouldn't hesitate at all to book this -- just remember that Intra-EU "business" class is really just Economy with a seat blocked next to you -- and admittedly some better food -- but IMO not worth the extra miles for redemption (unless they are using a widebody -- which is rare - today all OS flights were on an A320)....

One of the possibilities for my flights from either IAH/AUS to BUD is via FRA on either UA or LH. Connections are as little as 55 minutes. One is 1:25. Or it might be as much as six hours! Somewhere in between would be nice. Even in the best of times, 55 minutes seems really tight to arrive, clear immigration, and board another flight. 1:25 also seems doubtful.

Are these really possibilities? We hope to be in business class, so that would help a wee bit, I guess.
I would not try such a short connection in FRA -- even 1:25 is cutting it close if you get a bus gate during a busy period... LHR - if one time -- is way easier.... For me personally -- I always try for around a 3hour connection in FRA -- that way there is no stress, I clear security, hit the lounge for some breakfast and a shower -- and then head for the next flight...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 2, 2022 at 5:38 pm Reason: merged response after merging OP posts
Old May 2, 2022, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last October I flew IAD-FRA-BER and decided to live life on the edge with an 1:20 connection in FRA. I only made the BER flight because it was delayed. My IAD-FRA flight was delayed and we arrived 35 minutes late then we parked at a remote stand. Bus took forever. Immigration was quick as I ran and beat the crowd and then ran through duty free. Scanned my BP to board and it was rejected. Apparently I was offloaded but the GA got me back on. Fun times!
Old May 2, 2022, 3:59 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I personally would use MUC/FRA/VIE due to Schengen - much easier to tranist. I will transit LHR so not against just if all else is the same.

As it relates to the dynamic award pricing it may be good to book the low mileage redemption and have an extra day somewhere to adjust the body clock.
I have found both LOT and TK to be great airlines. Have stayed in both WAW and IST and found that good as well.

I am all about the lie flat seat for TATL.

Edit - I personally try to avoid EWR whenever possible. Always delayed, although in fairness my flight through there last month was on time.
Old May 2, 2022, 5:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is Premium Economy worth the difference over Economy Plus? ...
Best to review Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience
Personally don;t plan to do more than 8-9 hours in economy or E+ -- that's a young person's game, not for me.

....I've heard that if you book PE, and seats in Biz are available on day of departure, they might move PE pax up to Biz in order to sell the PE seats, or move E+ up to PE to sell more E+. Is that a possibility? ...
Is that a possibility, yes. But would never count on that. There been some startup issues for BOS-LHR where that happen, but for establish routes to Europe this summer, plan on business going out full.

....Economy can be easily had on most flights for 30k miles. If you buy these seats, can we "upgrade to E+ using miles? ...
No, but can with cash

....Some of the flights we are looking at show pretty short connections at LHR, FRA, and VIE. About 1:25 in LHR. :55 and 1:30 at FRA. I:15 at VIE. Seems risky even if the plane arrives on time. Munich is also about 1:20 but I've heard that's much easier than FRA would be. ...
Normally 1:15 is very doable but I generally prefer 2 hours to allow for delayed arrivals

..... Assuming mainline UA metal and not UX, would connections to UA international flights need a lot of time? ...
Generally no, if in same terminals
....When might we see Business Saver awards open up for Sept 2 departure and Sept 18 return from AMS? ...
Given present "demand" maybe never. There is no reason to expect they will but if demand does not continue, then may be.

....If we book Biz at 150k miles and later, they reduce to 60k-70k, can we rebook or ask for an adjustment? ...
Perhaps, all partner segments require new availability. Easier if you book oneways.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 2, 2022 at 5:50 pm Reason: clean up due to merge
Old May 2, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I would agree that AUS-FRA is probably going to be your least stressful experience, even though the business seat on that route is considered outdated these days. Connecting in ORD. EWR, IAD means you wont get as much sleep on the flight anyway. For cruises its probably best to arrive a day or two early, but I guess with river cruises it's easier to catch up with the boat. Consider an expertflyer subscription and set alerts for the routes you are OK with.
Old May 2, 2022, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I would agree that AUS-FRA is probably going to be your least stressful experience, even though the business seat on that route is considered outdated these days. Connecting in ORD. EWR, IAD means you wont get as much sleep on the flight anyway. For cruises its probably best to arrive a day or two early, but I guess with river cruises it's easier to catch up with the boat. Consider an expertflyer subscription and set alerts for the routes you are OK with.
good luck finding award availability on that route ...
Old May 2, 2022, 8:48 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by cfischer
good luck finding award availability on that route ...

Actually Ive seen AUS show up on my searches from SFO occasionally. I think the main issue is it doesnt operate everyday? There was more than one seat as well.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by escapefromphl

Actually Ive seen AUS show up on my searches from SFO occasionally. I think the main issue is it doesnt operate everyday? There was more than one seat as well.
I have seen this. But we dont need to arrive several days early. Hopefully, something will open up forour planned departure day, or the day before.
Old May 3, 2022, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have seen this. But we dont need to arrive several days early. Hopefully, something will open up forour planned departure day, or the day before.
I wish you luck, but I've generally found (on all programs) that award travel (at reasonable rates) usually requires more flexibility than that (unless you are really lucky). When I must travel on a certain day I usually end up paying cash.
char777, jsloan and Artpen100 like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
you might think about flying into VIE, staying the night and then taking train into BUD.
Old May 3, 2022, 6:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bearkatt
you might think about flying into VIE, staying the night and then taking train into BUD.
This. x1000.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bearkatt
Interesting suggestion! I'll check that out. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.