Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bumped off flight BECAUSE I am a 1K (moved to a later flight but made orignal flight)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bumped off flight BECAUSE I am a 1K (moved to a later flight but made orignal flight)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by chavala
Yes, but my BP dissapeared at around 9:30AM (I had been refreshing watching the UG list).
We got off the plane at 9:50 AM. My seatmate still had his BP, I ran behind him and watched him get on the plane. (He was nice enought to let the agent know I was running behind him!)
While I was at the desk waiting for a supervisor, at least 6 other pax from my delayed flight got on with their BPs
Three things. 1. YMMV. 2. Paper boarding pass. 3. Running through airports went out with OJ and Avis. But while this kind of experience shouldn’t happen if you do this often and long enough it does and a lot. Write them a note and they’ll air kiss you to feel better.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by chavala

Here's the clincher.
When I asked the supervisor why I was the only one bumped off, she said it was because United didn't think I would make it, and "We look out for our 1Ks".
I asked "So everyone else has to fend for themselves?" She laughed and said "Pretty much!"

Finally my question.
I will be doing this flight a lot this year. MFR is a horrible, dinky airport and delays seem common.
Did this happen because I got myself protected on a later flight? (My seatmate said he didn't)
How can I prevent this from happening again? I want to at least be given a chance to make it before they kick me off.
Is there a way to contact UA inflight? I tried Messenger (still not read over a week later)

I hate asking for compensation, but after writing this out I wonder if I should write this in to 1K Voice?
I flew out of FAT a lot so had close and plenty of misconections similar to yours. Several times I was offloaded and stood their arguing with the GA while either the door shut in my face, they gave my seat away, or a few times like yours I got a seat back in E and at least got on a flight. This has been going on for a long time with ua. Once it wasn't a missed connection they just downgaged and decided to offload me. Except I was flying to an interview that day and wasn't having it. I got into PS F on the oversell. At the end of the day all I cared about was getting to the destination by the EOD. Starting from that usually gives the agents more flexibility to work with.
chavala likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 2:41 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I think there's a difference between UA protecting you on another flight (certainly happens) and you trying to do it yourself.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Three things. 1. YMMV. 2. Paper boarding pass. 3. Running through airports went out with OJ and Avis. But while this kind of experience shouldn’t happen if you do this often and long enough it does and a lot. Write them a note and they’ll air kiss you to feel better.
1. NSS
2. Paper? This is 2022, I had a screen shot of my original BP.
3. Running through the airport like OJ is what got me on the flight and prevented me from getting home 6 hours late. I don’t get the Avis reference— but please don’t bother to explain.

I just received a sincere letter of apology, 10,000 miles and my Plus Points redeposited along with my “air kiss” .
You’re right. I do feel better!
prestonh and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:41 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
My personal experiences:

I can get 'protected', 'double booked', "backed up" or whatever your preferred terminology is by airport agents and it always holds--but I am also adamant to get 'taken off' of whatever flight I'm not actually flying on, especially if I have later segments (like the return part of my roundtrip).

I have 0% success getting this done by phone (1K line). Others have reported differently, but I've been told multiple times, as recently as this past December that they are unable to do it, even get the occasional "I don't want to get fired for doing that".

Apparently, YMMV, as do others on here, but these are how it's gone for me. And I just had my 4th IRROPS/unplanned overnight since DECEMBER.
chavala likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.