Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SkyWest dropping 29 (virtually all) EAS markets served under UA* code (on hold)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2022, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

SkyWest dropping 29 (virtually all) EAS markets served under UA* code (on hold)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2022, 1:33 pm

Thanks for the replies Trip is in early Oct, so multiple months after the June 30 notice date.

Do you think they’d be willing to make the move before everything is finalized? Or will we have to wait for UA to formally cancel it to start the process once the FAA signs off? Will they do a preliminary rebook automatically for us, or will we have to reach out once they email?
Old May 21, 2022, 1:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tvknight415
,,, Do you think they’d be willing to make the move before everything is finalized? ...
Generally no, no until something actually changes -- otherwise it will be considered a voluntary change

Originally Posted by tvknight415
,,, Will they do a preliminary rebook automatically for us, or will we have to reach out once they email?
hard to predict, on a route cancellation with no possible to using the same airports, you just get a notice on the itin page that you need to call. Emails will eventually come but not right away. Suspect your local news will be the first place you hear about this.Check every couple of weeks once you get closer would be a good idea.
Old May 28, 2022, 11:29 am

From reading meeting minutes of the governing board, looks like Southern Airways (who bought Air Choice One) was the only bidder for Decatur, IL route. We’d gain back St. Louis. Back to 8-seater Cessna Caravan. However, it looks like they are also trying to what out something witH Skywest. Local influence would not want to go back to single engine planes.
Old May 29, 2022, 12:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
My apologies if there's a better place for this, but I'm curious what some people are considering as alternatives as it looks like this is going to go through.

I'm a frequent traveler to EAR, but I'm hoping that one of the West/Central NE airports survive so I don't have to drive in from Lincoln or Omaha.

My main concern is CMX. Looks like I'll have to do ORD-DTW-Iron mountain or Marquette on DL. This will essentially shut down our in person business from Oct-March, as driving up there is sketchy during those times.

Im bummed about LWB, CKB, EAU, PAH, and CGI. All conveniently located for me, but at least they have other options nearby. Looking forward to finally experiencing a P2012 out of OWB instead of the devil's chariot out of PAH.
Old May 29, 2022, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPS89
\My main concern is CMX. Looks like I'll have to do ORD-DTW-Iron mountain or Marquette on DL. This will essentially shut down our in person business from Oct-March, as driving up there is sketchy during those times.
I suspect they’d find a replacement vendor by October. Heck, maybe DL would go back to offering a DTW-CMX-IMT-MSP pattern. I suspect people would rather add a stop at Iron Mountain than lose service entirely.

That said, my sister had friends at Michigan Tech and used to drive up semi-regularly, during the winter, from the Detroit area. (We thought she was crazy ) I suspect you’re overestimating the disruption from the weather. Yes, if there’s actually a storm during your travel dates, you should probably expect to wait a day, but your customers will understand. Otherwise, they clear the roads really quickly.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 9wishes
Local influence would not want to go back to single engine planes.
I'd take that over a CRJ any day.
lincolnjkc and cheltzel like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'd take that over a CRJ any day.
The CRJ-200 is the best marketing props ever had...
artvandalay likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 2:50 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Surprised they'd cancel the CKB (Clarksburg, WV) route; it serves the giant FBI datacenter. I have read many contingency plans citing using the CJIS facility for continuity of operations and spelling out that you can fly there nonstop from IAD (or drive 4+ hours). I honestly can't see Allegiant's schedule working for government traffic, and Allegiant is currently the only other airline serving CKB. But I've never seen many seats booked on the few occasions I've had cause to even look at flying that route, and random dates I checked a minute ago look totally empty.

Personally, it sucks to see LWB (Lewisburg, WV) on that list; that's the last airport near my parents which has any UA service that I can use. Those flights IME often are fairly full; certainly they were the several times I took them last summer & fall, even on random weekdays, when my mom was in the hospital and I was flying back and forth regularly. Lots of traffic to/from the Greenbrier resort. But they are cheap due to the EAS subsidy--under $200 r/t for economy right now--and I suppose if they weren't subsidized, the cost would be prohibitive. UA-coded EAS carriers dropped BKW (Beckley, WV) a while back; BLF (Bluefield, VA) lost all commercial service, IIRC, and CRW (Charleston, WV) has only ORD flights now on UA. ROA (Roanoke, VA) is the next-closest airport I suppose once LWB loses service, and it's over 2 hours by car. At that point, I can just drive the 5 hours from here (did I tell you I loathe driving?).
Old May 29, 2022, 3:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by exerda
But they are cheap due to the EAS subsidy--under $200 r/t for economy right now--and I suppose if they weren't subsidized, the cost would be prohibitive.
Originally Posted by EWR764
SkyWest yesterday filed a 90-day notice of its intent to terminate EAS (Essential Air Service) operations into 29 small cities due to reported pilot staffing challenges.....
These market cuts aren't United's call; rather, SkyWest operates them on an at-risk basis with the benefit of United's codeshare for connectivity and contribution to the network .... .
This was Skywest's (OO) decision and while costs may have been a factor, the pilot shortage is real for express carriers (with 1,500 hour rule)

UA and its express carrier have nearly 100 express aircraft parked for lack of pilots. The other majors are equally strapped.

.... it's over 2 hours by car. ... .
Many have had to live with 2 hour drives for some time, 3 hours if traffic is bad.
Old May 29, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surprised they'd cancel the CKB (Clarksburg, WV) route; it serves the giant FBI datacenter. I have read many contingency plans citing using the CJIS facility for continuity of operations and spelling out that you can fly there nonstop from IAD (or drive 4+ hours).
Pittsburgh is less than a two-hour drive away.
Old May 30, 2022, 1:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
I suspect they’d find a replacement vendor by October. Heck, maybe DL would go back to offering a DTW-CMX-IMT-MSP pattern. I suspect people would rather add a stop at Iron Mountain than lose service entirely.

That said, my sister had friends at Michigan Tech and used to drive up semi-regularly, during the winter, from the Detroit area. (We thought she was crazy ) I suspect you’re overestimating the disruption from the weather. Yes, if there’s actually a storm during your travel dates, you should probably expect to wait a day, but your customers will understand. Otherwise, they clear the roads really quickly.
Appreciate the advice- usually, when we're up there in the winter we're not leaving Houghton so I've never seen what the state roads look like. The way that some people talk about the UP I figured we'd be better off renting snowmobiles than cars.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
CMX = Houghton County Memorial Airport, Hancock, Michigan
Old May 31, 2022, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bear96
Pittsburgh is less than a two-hour drive away.
True, though I doubt many people flying the route for business would do the hour at the airport, hour flight, and 2 hour drive after when the entire route can be driven in 4-ish. Then again, no one seemed to use the route at all; leisure pax probably took the drive to PIT or even IAD.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This was Skywest's (OO) decision and while costs may have been a factor, the pilot shortage is real for express carriers (with 1,500 hour rule)

UA and its express carrier have nearly 100 express aircraft parked for lack of pilots. The other majors are equally strapped.

Many have had to live with 2 hour drives for some time, 3 hours if traffic is bad.
I hadn't thought about the ongoing pilot shortage; that makes sense. That LWB route would seem to offer the chance to be profitable even absent the subsidy given it serves folks heading to the Greenbrier and government, but if you don't have pilots...

Of course I expect UA and its partners to cater to my travel preferences; I wish they'd bring back BKW service or even add service to the airstrip closer to my parents.
​​​​​
Old Aug 30, 2022, 3:18 pm

I flew through LWB this past weekend, and the OO ground staff confirmed 10/31/22 is their last day to operate the routes (ex-IAD and ex-ORD) there. The new EAS operator, an AA affiliate, will take over after that. The flights were fairly empty FWIW, a vast difference from last summer, though I had one guy who'd gone SFO-IAD-SHD-LWB just to go to the distillery there (his pals had flown into ROA and were driving from there). There was far more traffic going SHD-LWB-ORD or v-v than O&D traffic on the IAD-LWB route.

I also spoke with the OO flight crew about the end of EAS service on the route, and the FA and copilot said something about a new pilots' contract meaning they should start filling pilot billets more easily / competitively, and that they're working to build OO as something crews see as a career and not just a springboard to the majors.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
Originally Posted by CPS89
My apologies if there's a better place for this, but I'm curious what some people are considering as alternatives as it looks like this is going to go through.

I'm a frequent traveler to EAR, but I'm hoping that one of the West/Central NE airports survive so I don't have to drive in from Lincoln or Omaha.
Was searching for flights to EAR (Kearney, NE) looks like UA/Skywest is gone. Service now through DEN on Key Lime Air (KG). I checked and they don't connect in EYW unfortunately. Planning to recommend my colleague fly to LNK/OMA and drive.

Any thoughts on KG or LNK vs. OMA?

Thanks
EWR764 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.