Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Change fees for international flights originating outside the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change fees for international flights originating outside the US

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No, that is not correct

Change fees now only apply to Basic Economy tickets or if originating outside of those listed areas.

The change waiver that expired 31 Jan 2022, applied just to the flights originating outside of those listed areas
It seems that the local United airlines offices in Mexico have to inform their employees better about rules. They confirmed me today change fees will be imposed from February...
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yonajon
As the fare rules I shared indicate, at least on my TLV-EWR-TLV itinerary, they are not imposing change fees despite what the policy says. No idea why, but I'll take it.
Yours notes it in the fare rules. UA has always had no change fee fares, that is not new, though perhaps they have added it to more discount fares. But these rules typically vary by fare and market, many times competing with other local carriers, or what the market will bear there.

i recall about 8 or 9 years ago booking an ex-India L fare on UA, which had something like a $90 change/cancel fee, which was waived if you were canceling because you were refused a visa.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 23, 2022 at 10:09 pm Reason: removed response to deleted post
Old Feb 23, 2022, 10:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Let's stick to discussing of international change fees in this thread. There are numerous other threads on the discussion of entry requirements/

WIneCountryUA
UA coModerator
yonajon likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver
Originally Posted by emcampbe
UA has always had no change fee fares, that is not new, though perhaps they have added it to more discount fares. But these rules typically vary by fare and market, many times competing with other local carriers, or what the market will bear there.
I didn't realize that. When I've paid attention in the past, I've always had change fees associated with my TLV fares. I am surprised that they're not including TLV-US flights in the revised policy (of charging change fees for flights originating outside the US). Anyway, I'll take it and just a good reminder for me to check the fare rules and not rely on reading the policies.

BTW, in the booking path, it says "no change fees" on the flights being selected (see screenshot). Is that reliable? I don't trust anything it says anymore after seeing that "fully refundable" means nothing unless all segments are "fully refundable".
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
No Change Fees.pdf (148.1 KB, 26 views)
Old Feb 24, 2022, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
This change fees are now back....but then what are our options if we are on a non refundable ticket and get a positive result on covid 1 day before the travel? Basically we have to cancel the ticket and pay a change fee of 250 USD to use the value in the future? Does United think the pandemic is already over in February?
This is precisely the problem . The solution is to not buy UA tickets
SPN Lifer and flymexico2010 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 24, 2022 at 11:24 am Reason: Let's stick to the UA issue per Moderator note
Old Feb 24, 2022, 4:46 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
I've been paying close attention to the fare rules for months and noticed that change fees were being reimposed after Jan 31. So I bought my ex-Japan tix for August in late January. I even chose flights operated by NH, which was awesome because tix purchased directly from NH have had all the standard change fees since last December.

​​​​​
​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.