Search
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
EWR United Club Status as of November 2021
Terminal A - A2 concourse
C1 - Near gate C74, upper level.
C2 - Pop-up location near C93 - no hot food
C3 - Pop-up location near C124 - permanently closed due to new club construction, Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?

related thread: Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?

Print Wikipost

Status of United Clubs at EWR {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Status of United Clubs at EWR {Archive}

Flying phx-erw-fra tomorrow. I have 3.5 hours to kill at EWR. What is the best United club to hang out in? Are there other Star alliance lounges there that have better catering options/free drinks?

Thanks
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
There are two that you can use. Both get very busy in the evening, the one in the central area just after security has better views. All UCs have free drinks now, plus some additional "premium" drinks that you can pay for.

You can't use the other *A lounges in Terminal B without a boarding pass for the relevant terminal / concourse.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:59 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by star_world
...You can't use the other *A lounges in Terminal B without a boarding pass for the relevant terminal / concourse.
Is the airside A-B-C shuttle an option?

Additionally has not the TSA expanded the use of any valid BP (for that airport) for any security checkpoint.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
There have been plenty of reports here that the staff at the gate for the shuttle require a boarding pass for Terminal A. Regardless, the offerings there are pretty bad in comparison with the UCs in C (that's saying something!)

Last I heard TSA in EWR wouldn't let you into B without a boarding pass for the specific concourse you were going to - haven't heard of that changing but I may have missed something.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There have been plenty of reports here that the staff at the gate for the shuttle require a boarding pass for Terminal A. ....
last week went A>B and changed bus then B>C, with no BP check. (need not try to enter B but appeared possible) as sbm12 pointed out it was A1>A2>C, not B. {my excuse, it was my first time using the shuttle and it was after a long transcon with delays}

...Last I heard TSA in EWR wouldn't let you into B without a boarding pass for the specific concourse you were going to - haven't heard of that changing but I may have missed something.
There have been reports the TSA has generically dropped this requirement in the past few months. My recent experience at other airports AUS, PBI, .... and bring folks to UC that were flying on other airlines but had long wait ... supports that lack of strict requirement. But who knows about the EWR folks

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 3, 2012 at 2:29 pm Reason: correction
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
last week went A>B and changed bus then B>C, with no BP check. (need not try to enter B but appeared possible)
You sure you didn't go A1->A2 and then to C? I don't think the shuttle stops at B airside as there are no CO/UA departures at B.

The C2/3 lounge has showers and better views of the field but otherwise they're basically the same.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
There are two that you can use. Both get very busy in the evening, the one in the central area just after security has better views. All UCs have free drinks now, plus some additional "premium" drinks that you can pay for.

You can't use the other *A lounges in Terminal B without a boarding pass for the relevant terminal / concourse.
Thanks for the info star_world, appreciated.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
You sure you didn't go A1->A2 and then to C? ....
Duh! you are correct.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: VAG
On the subject of the A to C shuttle: in my limited experience it appears to be a complete... well, the board will censor me if I use the word I think is appropriate, but let's just say it's a mess.

When I got there, there was a huge mass of people standing by the door -- maybe sixty or so. Not in any kind of organized line, just a huge mass. I waited at the back of the mass for about five minutes, then the extremely detached-looking airport employee at the front let a handful of people through the door. Someone expressed surprise at the small number of people going through, to which she droned "It's a twelve-person bus".

I groaned loudly and walked off through security (apparently leading a small exodus in the process), caught the train to terminal C, got back in the premium security line, waited around for a few minutes, figured out that the non-premium security line was moving a lot faster, and switched to that one (I kept pace and noticed that I got through a lot faster than the guy who had been ahead of me in the premium line).

Anyway, if I'd actually hung around to catch the A-C interterminal bus I estimate I'd probably still be there.

On the upside, once I got through to Terminal C I found that the United Club just to the left was perfectly fine and had good seating options and free Sam Adams to go with the usual extremely limited food selection. Couldn't complain.

Have other people had better experiences? Is it always a twelve-seater bus? Is there always a huge mass of people?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jorgen
....Have other people had better experiences? Is it always a twelve-seater bus? Is there always a huge mass of people?
Getting a bit OT but on my recent first time experience. The first leg (A1>A2 - not B) was a smaller vehicle (typical smaller rental car lot shuttle size), probably about 12 -- I was the last on and there were 6-8 others. No line at A1.
The second leg A2>C was in a larger bus (the typical larger rental car lot shuttle) -- bus was about half filled.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Jorgen
On the subject of the A to C shuttle: in my limited experience it appears to be a complete... well, the board will censor me if I use the word I think is appropriate, but let's just say it's a mess.

When I got there, there was a huge mass of people standing by the door -- maybe sixty or so. Not in any kind of organized line, just a huge mass. I waited at the back of the mass for about five minutes, then the extremely detached-looking airport employee at the front let a handful of people through the door. Someone expressed surprise at the small number of people going through, to which she droned "It's a twelve-person bus".

I groaned loudly and walked off through security (apparently leading a small exodus in the process), caught the train to terminal C, got back in the premium security line, waited around for a few minutes, figured out that the non-premium security line was moving a lot faster, and switched to that one (I kept pace and noticed that I got through a lot faster than the guy who had been ahead of me in the premium line).

Anyway, if I'd actually hung around to catch the A-C interterminal bus I estimate I'd probably still be there.

On the upside, once I got through to Terminal C I found that the United Club just to the left was perfectly fine and had good seating options and free Sam Adams to go with the usual extremely limited food selection. Couldn't complain.

Have other people had better experiences? Is it always a twelve-seater bus? Is there always a huge mass of people?
No, it should take more people than that. I have noticed that it doubles as an employee shuttle back and forth between A and C, so that may have played a factor in your case.

I've gone from A to C with an "A" boarding pass and never had a problem - I just pointed out before they looked at the BP that I knew what I was doing.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
I prefer C3 of the 2 clubs in C but that's because I am usually looking for a shower. The C3 bar area is pretty big too, which I enjoy. Even when it's really crowded I'm usually able to find one stool somewhere at the bar, even if it's crowded between 2 other people
Old Feb 3, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by greathustle
I prefer C3 of the 2 clubs in C but that's because I am usually looking for a shower. The C3 bar area is pretty big too, which I enjoy. Even when it's really crowded I'm usually able to find one stool somewhere at the bar, even if it's crowded between 2 other people
I'm there right now, and I agree with your assessment. Crowded, but sizeable bar area and not difficult to get a drink.

Chris
Old Feb 3, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
Does anyone know for sure

if going to Terminal B lounges with a CO boarding pass is legit?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier 1K, GE/Nexus, Hertz Pres Circle, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Holiday Inn Plat
Better size in C by Starbucks towards 113 and up.

More intimate environment over by 90.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.