Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Empty United 767 rolled uncontrolled across tarmac at Santiago (SCL)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Empty United 767 rolled uncontrolled across tarmac at Santiago (SCL)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by TomMM
Do the parking brakes require the hydraulic system to be powered?
Yes. It's not a separate brake system. To set the parking brake, you hold the brake pedal and activate the parking brake system. That traps the hydraulic fluid that you were applying by holding the brakes so that the brakes will continue to be held when you release pressure on the toe brakes. The system has a hydraulic accumulator which aids in maintaining that pressure.

For a tow, you would run the APU to provide electrical power to run the electric hydraulic pumps to provide the hydraulic pressure for the brakes.

The move teams have their own checklists that they follow when moving or taxiing aircraft.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DELee
Hmm. Assuming max landing weight of a 767 at 350,000 lbs / ~160,000 kg, moving at just 1 meter/sec = 3.6 kph = 2.2 mph, instantaneous momentum is 160,000 kg-m/s (p = mv) and kinetic energy of this system is 80,000 J.(KE = 1/2 mv^2) or about 8% of the explosive power of a stick of dynamite.

Any screwup such as the broken tow bar embedding itself in the tarmac or dirt or vehicle/human would have a deleterious effect on the thing that stopped it.

Not a good idea.

David
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Since it was between flights, I would guess it would be closer to operating minimum weight, so maybe around 240,000 lbs. with fuel and other stuff in the cabin/cargo hold. And it definitely looked like it was going faster than 2.2mph.

But yeah, letting it run out was probably the best course of action provided it wasn't going to interfere with any active taxi or runways. You also figure the mechanics would know how to operate the manual brakes on any airline they're certified to work on.
I did say "If there were a movie or tv show". I agree it probably isnt such a good idea to try for real.

Anyways, it must have been an interesting ride for whoever was in the cockpit. I would think that job (or that portion of the job) would be pretty boring day to day.
jtet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.