Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Empty United 767 rolled uncontrolled across tarmac at Santiago (SCL)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2021, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

The only information I have about this incident is the video below - does anyone know more?
Old Dec 28, 2021, 2:20 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Here's a 767 just cruising in to the dirt ....

Ah, I did a quick scan and didn't see any reference to Santiago or Chile. I figured something like this would be more popular than the zero replies on the other thread, though.

Last edited by TBD; Dec 29, 2021 at 7:34 am
Old Dec 28, 2021, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Oops. Somebody made a mistake.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I think it's very fortunate that the tow bar never was able to embed itself into the soil.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I think it's very fortunate that the tow bar never was able to embed itself into the soil.
Yup. That's a lot of momentum to bring to dead stop.

David
Old Dec 28, 2021, 5:49 pm

The plane was being towed to a remote hard stand when the tow bar broke. Mechanics, in the cockpit, attempted to engage the brakes but were unsuccessful. The only damage to the plane was 4 tires needed to be changed. The return flight to the US was cancelled.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:34 am
TBD

Is there no e-brake?
Old Dec 29, 2021, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TBD
Is there no e-brake?
Naw - it's Chile there.

David
Old Dec 29, 2021, 5:21 pm

When I was last at SCL, and doing a mid-day roundtrip flight to/from Punta Arenas, it was interesting to see all the USA airplanes (1 DL, 3 AA, 1 UA) lined up on the far side of the airport (the AA 777, being biggest, was at the end of line), with all their doors open, airing out after the overnight flights to SCL! This was in the late summer (early March), as the planes did not fly back to the USA until the late afternoon or early evening.

In contrast, the European airplanes generally did the turn-around by late morning, so they did not tie up the gates or have to be moved away from the gates for the day.

In retrospect, completely airing out the USA planes was a great idea, other than any mishaps from towing them away from the gates.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
How long was it rolling? If this were a movie or tv show, they'd try matching speeds and replace it in motion.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
How long was it rolling? If this were a movie or tv show, they'd try matching speeds and replace it in motion.
Hmm. Assuming max landing weight of a 767 at 350,000 lbs / ~160,000 kg, moving at just 1 meter/sec = 3.6 kph = 2.2 mph, instantaneous momentum is 160,000 kg-m/s (p = mv) and kinetic energy of this system is 80,000 J.(KE = 1/2 mv^2) or about 8% of the explosive power of a stick of dynamite.

Any screwup such as the broken tow bar embedding itself in the tarmac or dirt or vehicle/human would have a deleterious effect on the thing that stopped it.

Not a good idea.

David
wxguy likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 6:57 am
TBD

With this, I guess that letting the plane run in to the grass was the best (and maybe only) way to actually stop it, no?
Old Dec 30, 2021, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DELee
Hmm. Assuming max landing weight of a 767 at 350,000 lbs / ~160,000 kg, moving at just 1 meter/sec = 3.6 kph = 2.2 mph, instantaneous momentum is 160,000 kg-m/s (p = mv) and kinetic energy of this system is 80,000 J.(KE = 1/2 mv^2) or about 8% of the explosive power of a stick of dynamite.

Any screwup such as the broken tow bar embedding itself in the tarmac or dirt or vehicle/human would have a deleterious effect on the thing that stopped it.

Not a good idea.

David
Since it was between flights, I would guess it would be closer to operating minimum weight, so maybe around 240,000 lbs. with fuel and other stuff in the cabin/cargo hold. And it definitely looked like it was going faster than 2.2mph.

But yeah, letting it run out was probably the best course of action provided it wasn't going to interfere with any active taxi or runways. You also figure the mechanics would know how to operate the manual brakes on any airline they're certified to work on.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
When towing with a towbar, a mechanic is in the pilot's seat with the hydraulics powered so that he can stop the airplane if the towbar breaks. I don't know why the mechanic was unable to stop this airplane, this time.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryJ
When towing with a towbar, a mechanic is in the pilot's seat with the hydraulics powered so that he can stop the airplane if the towbar breaks. I don't know why the mechanic was unable to stop this airplane, this time.
Do the parking brakes require the hydraulic system to be powered?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.