Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Free Covid tests at UA (to follow AA/BA lead)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2021, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

AA/BA to provide free Covid tests for travel to premium cabin passengers. UK currently requires day 2 test on arrival and U.S. wants one coming back. Can't see how UA does not follow suit relative to LHR. Certainly would ease travel.

Newsroom - American Airlines, British Airways, American Express Global Business Travel and Qured to offer Complimentary COVID-19 Test Kits for Premium International Business Travelers - American Airlines Group, Inc. (aa.com)
Old Nov 20, 2021, 3:37 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
AA/BA to provide free Covid tests for travel to premium cabin passengers. UK currently requires day 2 test on arrival and U.S. wants one coming back. Can't see how UA does not follow suit relative to LHR. Certainly would ease travel.

Newsroom - American Airlines, British Airways, American Express Global Business Travel and Qured to offer Complimentary COVID-19 Test Kits for Premium International Business Travelers - American Airlines Group, Inc. (aa.com)
Nice perk, saving $100+ on a RT. I think UA will only follow suit if it becomes a well known AA/BA benefit before people book flights. There have been some past issues with other brand instant antigen test kits, long hold times for testing and massive recalls. Not sure if this negative publicity has rubbed off on Qured.

The way I read it is that, to get the code for free test kits, flights should be booked through American Express Global Business Travel (GBT) and once available, will only be available while supplies last. If true, this may be problematic for people who are required to book travel through their corporate travel dept or TMC. I may be reading more into this than there really is……

This specific brand does require two separate tests, one supervised and the second apparently on the honor system. From the Qured website:

“The kit includes two tests - you must take your first test under the supervision of our Health Advisor and take the second test (included, no supervision required) 24-36 hours later to confirm your result.”

It’s clear that test results in writing are available within several hours after the supervised test, but not clear me that any further documentation of the second test result will be provided.

DEN

Last edited by DEN; Nov 20, 2021 at 4:38 am
Old Nov 20, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I've flown other airlines in europe where you get a discount code for certain test centers. That's another option and better than nothing.
Getting a test prior to departure is not an issue for me. Many countries don't even require a test anymore. It's getting the test for the return (or going to another country) that can be problematic sometimes.
If UA started providing the emed test kits, it would be great. They have so much confidence in their own test that they recommend you have two incase one is bad. At the same time, they will expire in a relatively short period of time. And then you're never 100% sure if it will be accepted if you have a connection before returning to the US.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
I've been using the emed tests for the last two months with no issues. They all have Nov/Dec expiration dates but come with a note documenting their expiration has been extended for 6 months by FDA (with link to the publication). Very easy to use if you have a good internet connection. I don't use the app...I use the website. That way they email me a results letter (about 5 min after test concludes). I then print out the letter at the hotel. Have had no issue getting it accepted, and almost all my trips were one or two connections before boarding flight to US. Know how accurate this antigen test is compared to a PCR test is of course a whole other issue, but this is what CDC is requiring and it's nice to do it in hotel 2 days before departure without having to track down a test site. I do it then so I have time to get another test in case there is an issue. Have not had to do it yet, but I want the option.
WVFM, IAH-OIL-TRASH and Dyce like this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eng3
…Getting a test prior to departure is not an issue for me. Many countries don't even require a test anymore. It's getting the test for the return….
Agree. It’s getting test(s) at destination.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:21 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drklain
I've been using the emed tests for the last two months with no issues. They all have Nov/Dec expiration dates but come with a note documenting their expiration has been extended for 6 months by FDA (with link to the publication). Very easy to use if you have a good internet connection. I don't use the app...I use the website. That way they email me a results letter (about 5 min after test concludes). I then print out the letter at the hotel. Have had no issue getting it accepted, and almost all my trips were one or two connections before boarding flight to US. Know how accurate this antigen test is compared to a PCR test is of course a whole other issue, but this is what CDC is requiring and it's nice to do it in hotel 2 days before departure without having to track down a test site. I do it then so I have time to get another test in case there is an issue. Have not had to do it yet, but I want the option.
What on-hold times have you experienced?

DEN
Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by drklain
Same here, I've had no issues thus far. Though, I'm the opposite. I've NEVER had it work on my laptop. They can see and hear me, but I can't see or hear them eventhough Zoom and all other webcam apps work fine. Their support is useless. The phone works for me but it's awkward trying to prop it up. Regardless, it is FAR more convenient to just do it at the hotel. I just don't like that they have so little confidence in their own test that they recommend people carry two. If I buy a test now, it says it's good til Feb 2022. It doesn't mention if that's really Feb or you add 6mo to that. When returning to the US, I often have to fly a partner flight first to connect to the UA flight. Or I'm taking an internal flight. I am never 100% sure if the results will be accepted. It is also confusing as to which results to use. There is an "emed" report (with no barcode and says "home test". And then a separate Navica result with a barcode. As you, I also always have a backup plan.

Anyways, I agree, it would be nice if UA provided a test or two.

Last edited by eng3; Nov 21, 2021 at 8:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.