Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

First time in Polaris (and business class in general) - tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2021, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Hey,
Soon I will fly in business class for the first time in my life, and it's gonna be in Polaris, in international flight from EWR to TLV.

Any tips for a beginner? xD

Few questions:
• From the flight, what can I take home with me, besides the amenity kit? (If it's up to me I'd take every possible thing as mementos lol)
• Can I ask for another main dish (not the salad or dessert) if I'm still hungry?
• Are there duvets in the flight?
• Do they lock the window did dimmers like some other airlines? (Flight is on a 787-10)
• Is there a walk in 'kitchen' in the galley for free snacks and atuff like that?
• Does checked baggage arrive to the belt first before other classes, or its all just random?
• I took seat 1A, in the front, as I understand it has a bigger footwell, is it noisey there due to the galley or not really?

Any tip will be super appreciated, thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2021, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by xph11
• From the flight, what can I take home with me, besides the amenity kit? (If it's up to me I'd take every possible thing as mementos lol)
Hemispheres Magazine, printed boarding pass, PJ's (if they are still provided)
• Can I ask for another main dish (not the salad or dessert) if I'm still hungry?
You can ask, FWIW, its already going to be marginal at best.
Should be
• Do they lock the window did dimmers like some other airlines? (Flight is on a 787-10)
Depends on crew
• Is there a walk in 'kitchen' in the galley for free snacks and atuff like that?
Not like there used to be
• Does checked baggage arrive to the belt first before other classes, or its all just random?
Should, but depends on ground crew
• I took seat 1A, in the front, as I understand it has a bigger footwell, is it noisey there due to the galley or not really?
Not sure, I just had 1A on the 788, and I could not hear/see any distractions.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Hey,
Soon I will fly in business class for the first time in my life, and it's gonna be in Polaris, in international flight from EWR to TLV.

Any tips for a beginner? xD

Few questions:

Any tip will be super appreciated, thanks!
Amenity kit and PJs are yours to keep.

I like the larger footwells and the Polaris seats are very private so I have never been bothered by noise. Or maybe I am used to blocking noise out. Sometimes light coming from the galley has been a bit bright but in the last few years crews have been good about turning them down after the meal service.

If you eat something in the lounge before your flight you would need a tapeworm to be hungry after eating your onboard meal. My advice to anyone is if you find something you enjoy in the Polaris lounge then go for it. You never know how good the food onboard will be, it is not United's strength.

Hope you enjoy your first Polaris flight!
sobore, MDTyKe, ezefllying and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
You can also take the slippers. The salt and pepper shakers would possibly make a good memento too.

You can definitely ask.

Yes but you need to ask. Same for slippers, most of the time.

Yes.

That only depends on the arrival airport so YMMV. When I flew Polaris to Sydney in 2019, my baggage was among the latest to arrive.

Never had a problem but seats close to the galley are noisier. Probably only an issue if you have very light sleep.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Don’t try to get in or out of your seat with an open beverage on the table. It is very easy to knock over. Ask me how I know. .
roberto99, sobore, m.y and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Although @uanj mentioned it above, a special call out for visiting the Polaris Lounge at EWR before your flight. You can read about the specifics in that thread, but a very nice experience to start off your flight. And as luck would have it, just re-opened today.

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:38 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
As much as we bash UA and their matrons, who are primarily there for our safety, it’s a good product and you’re gonna like it. Especially if you normally fly economy. Enjoy!

ps- don’t ransack the plane for souvenirs. Once you fly business class- you’re unlikely to want to go back to economy ever again.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Third on visiting the Polaris lounge before hand. If you originating EWR arrive with plenty of time to enjoy. It is my favorite part of a trip.

My experience is pre-pandemic, We always had to ask for PJ. They sometime would give my husband a nasty look when he asked. Don't know why. May be it is the IAH crew.
xph11 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ask for mattress/seat pad - ime it noticeably improves comfort..
xph11 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:18 am

In the area above the table tray where it says, "no stowage during takeoff and landing" into which you might think to conveniently slip your laptop or reading material as you get arranged .... don't. It will fall out during takeoff, for sure.

The tray table can be a little tricky to figure out the first time (or if it's been a while). There's no shame in asking for help. Admire the mechanical design.

There's a little cubby with a press-latch door where your headphones will be -- often it is open when you sit down, displaying them nicely. The cubby is also a convenient spot to put your laptop's power brick, and amenity kit when not in use. Just don't forget to check the cubby when you deplane!

Twice now, the sound on my Polaris headphones has been wonky. If you're watching a movie you've never seen before, you won't really catch on for a while because what happens is you get only the background sounds (music, etc.) but the dialog is faint, oddly distorted, and on the edge of unintelligible. The entertainment will be watchable, but not enjoyable. If you experience this, your headphones are broken and you should ask for another pair. Check while you're still on the ground and getting settled.

There is a *shoulder* belt, in addition to the lap belt, that must be worn during takeoff and landing. It has a clever slip-and-click attachment to the normal lap belt. It stows, retracted, above your shoulder.

The outer arm rest can lower to bed-height when it's time for sleep. Actually, I don't remember if that is true for both of the seat layouts. Maybe both arm rests (it's been a few months since I've flown)? Check to see. Lowering the arm rest makes the bed a couple of inches wider.

1A is an excellent seat. If you might be bothered by noise, there should be nice soft foam ear plugs in the amenity kit.

The first time I flew in Polaris, it was on a battlefield upgrade and I was impressed enough that I've made it a point to seek out true Polaris cabins whenever possible ever since. You'll enjoy it. Bon voyage!
m.y, ARR72, aquanine and 1 others like this.

Last edited by jpezaris; Nov 15, 2021 at 10:25 am
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:37 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Any tips for a beginner?
Get to the airport early - enjoy the lounge. Watch a movie on the extensive selection of titles - get several hours of sleep on your lie flat seat - and enjoy the moment.
xph11 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Polaris lounge at EWR is now open?
Old Nov 15, 2021, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Polaris lounge at EWR is now open?
Yes, reopened today
pmarrsouth likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
The old Business Class seats had gaps which were black holes for anything you dropped (airpods, cell phone, etc.). Not as bad with the new seats, but just be careful. Follow the above advice about avoiding anything heavier than a newspaper in the shelf in front of you, at the risk of it shooting out like a projectile right at you. Also +1 on requesting pajamas and a mattress pad when the FA first greets you, in case there is a limited supply. Remember the pre-screening for this flight, so show up at the gate a little earlier than you would otherwise.
xph11 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 12:39 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Free-flowing alcohol on long-hauls is a cruel mistress. Enjoy up to the point where you’re feeling great about life and can gently drift off to sleep, not to the point where you wake up hung over with five hours left in the air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.