Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris Lounge Open in Newark (EWR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Polaris Lounge Open in Newark (EWR)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2021, 5:44 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by DELee
Minimalist flies.

David
The burger also looks very different from pre-pandemic Polaris - not at all appealing...
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Ahh, i see makes sense. I've always tried to shower at night prior to flying out to India. Incoming, BOM-EWR would get me in at 530/6 am generally which is around when you'd try to shower, but I never tried showering on the inbound flights so maybe I would be hit with the same bad luck.
Note that this requires re-entering security.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Joshua
Note that this requires re-entering security.
Right I live in Orange County so I'd always grub on breakfast before connecting onwards to LAX.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 1:49 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I spent three hours in the lounge on Saturday heading to MXP. It was Mrs. Limey1K first time in a Polaris lounge and I may have over sold it. They are definitely struggling to get back to pre shut down levels. Food was decent but nowhere near enough of it with people standing around with empty plates waiting at the buffet. Coffee pots were empty, trash cans in the bathrooms all overflowing, dirty floors, empty TP holders, no hand towels, etc. The restaurant was 1/3 full but had a 30 minute wait which I assumed was driven by staff shortages. Overall, not a great experience.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Friend used EWR PL last week on the way to ZRH. He had similar comments to the above - he said 45 min wait for a table and he gave up. Buffet was ok. He said the staff were really trying but the waits were long.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Maybe I’m naive, but when the best meal in the UA’s premium lounge seems to be a
hamburger, the term “premium” has new meaning.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
There appears to be no staff working here today apart from the ladies at the front door. No one in the showers (bar a note saying that there is a 30-35 minutes wait for cleaning - with no one in there), no bar staff (another couple of have been waiting a lot longer than me), no one in the restaurant and its not staffed at all

I have informed the ladies at the front door, one of which are walking around looking for staff now. Unsure whats going on
Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
There appears to be no staff working here today apart from the ladies at the front door. No one in the showers (bar a note saying that there is a 30-35 minutes wait for cleaning - with no one in there), no bar staff (another couple of have been waiting a lot longer than me), no one in the restaurant and its not staffed at all

I have informed the ladies at the front door, one of which are walking around looking for staff now. Unsure whats going on
it is EWR, where everything is unsure……
Old Dec 4, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
it is EWR, where everything is unsure……
To be fair, within 5 minutes of me informing the front desk, a rake load (20ish?) of staff appeared and went to their positions. I am still unsure ... went on, but it was quite odd - maybe a shift change and the new shift's staff were in a meeting?

Anyway, pre-staff photos:

Shower:

(all the lights on the shower suites were green, etc)

Bar:

(the couple down the end did tell me that there was a staff member behind the bar but they had disappeared off "a while ago")

Restaurant:

Once all staff arrived, I enjoyed a shower and then went to the restaurant, which was maybe 1/4 full at that stage. No wait-list and was seated right away

I did take one for the team here and compared different* dishes:

Starter:

(*Sorry, these are the same, just delicious. I did ask for a larger portion, waiter said he could not do that, but would happily order me 2 portions - right so, that will be fine)

Mains:

(Burger vs the lamb again - lamb wins. Burger is fine, nothing special. The 3 wedges does amuse me)

Dessert:

(Pear Cobbler vs Skillet Cookie - Cookie just crushes this line up)

Overall, a very quick service. Waiter was fantastic and he got 2 refills of my beer during the meal (proactively asking me if I wanted another)

Just an odd experience at the start, it legit looked like it was a pre-soft opening, where photographers could walk around taking photos without staff being "in the way"
Old Dec 4, 2021, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
That's identical to a 2019 experience I had with an early arrival - the staff responsible for cleaning the showers seemed to be interested in avoiding doing so. The front desk staff assured me there definitely should be shower service at all hours.

I would expect staffing challenges to be much, much worse now.

The Polaris burger looks significantly less appealing than it did circa 2019. The other dishes look great.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
To be fair, within 5 minutes of me informing the front desk, a rake load (20ish?) of staff appeared and went to their positions. I am still unsure ... went on, but it was quite odd - maybe a shift change and the new shift's staff were in a meeting?

Anyway, pre-staff photos:

Bar:

(the couple down the end did tell me that there was a staff member behind the bar but they had disappeared off "a while ago")
I think that it means DIY bar when they disappear.

David
Old Dec 4, 2021, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
Maybe I’m naive, but when the best meal in the UA’s premium lounge seems to be a
hamburger, the term “premium” has new meaning.
I can't find the original thread from the 1990s, but it was similar to this one: Hamburgers in First Class!!!

Someone posted "hamburgers in first, hot dogs in coach... what's next?" and the next reply was "hot dogs in first" (which actually hasn't happened yet, so United does have further depths to which to descend).
Old Dec 4, 2021, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
I think that it means DIY bar when they disappear.

David
Interestingly the only person that could be considered as a staff member that was in anyway close to the bar was an older lady in a full security uniform. Now I presume that she was security, rather than someone flying that day, so maybe she was there to stop the DIY bar practices!
Old Dec 4, 2021, 7:38 pm

Interestingly the only person that could be considered as a staff member that was in anyway close to the bar was an older lady in a full security uniform. Now I presume that she was security, rather than someone flying that day, so maybe she was there to stop the DIY bar practices!
Perhaps the PL is now enforcing the "one drink" limit...
Old Dec 4, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
(bolding mine)

She was there to secure you from a hangover!

Last edited by narvik; Dec 4, 2021 at 7:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.