Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris Lounge Open in Newark (EWR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Polaris Lounge Open in Newark (EWR)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2021, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, 2MM, Ambassador Marriott
Also, they mention ORD is next, so keep an eye open for something opening there soon, maybe by befoe end of November.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 1:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Can't wait to see if there's a noticeable change in the C74 UC next time I have a late afternoon domestic flight. I might even score a window seat with a working power outlet!
this welcome change should also result in an improvement in UC conditions
Old Nov 17, 2021, 2:58 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How would the condition improve; it is still way far away from a ton of gates.

There are four (4) open at ORD; there is one (1) open at EWR terminal C and it is not centrally located as far as half of the gates are concerned.

I have nothing against exercise, but sometimes I only have 5 minutes to use a club-- literally-- to grab something before a flight without meal service. It is useless at EWR half the time.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 3:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Ari

There are four (4) open at ORD; there is one (1) open at EWR terminal C and it is not centrally located as far as half of the gates are concerned.

I have nothing against exercise, but sometimes I only have 5 minutes to use a club-- literally-- to grab something before a flight without meal service. It is useless at EWR half the time.
I don't disagree, but let's keep to the thread's title, and for at least a few minutes, let us bask in the glory that is an open Polaris lounge at EWR!
Old Nov 17, 2021, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Ari

Every person that uses the Polaris Lounge is someone that would have access to the United Club. Certainly, a good percentage of them would have visited it. I have to think it has helped reduce the incredible overcrowding. Along with the Club at Terminal A being open as well.

Took long enough.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I visited EWR PL late yesterday afternoon after arriving from Narita.
The lounge was quite crowded between 4 pm and 6 pm. I would say it was 90% full and the only seats available were close to the shower.
The offerings on the buffet were similar to pre-covid. No pre-package food. All food is out in the open just like before.

I did not have to wait for the showers, but had to wait to get into the seated dinning areas.
There was no drink menu. I ordered Blood Mary but was told it was not available, so I settled for Champagne. I ordered the cauliflower appetizer and Polaris Burger and waited for about 35 minutes before the food came. By that time I only had less than ten min to eat before having to go to gate C82 for my next flight. The burger came first and I asked the server to cancel the appetizer but it came regardless two min later. Food tasted great! Server was great too, but there is clearly staffing issues at both front end and kitchen. This is expected due to the lounge is only just open.

Overall, I welcome the opening of EWR PL, and pleased with my first PL experience since March 2020. Other than having to wait for food and looking for places to sit, it is business as usual. I am just happy to have a place to shower and relax after started my trip from Singapore almost 20 hours before landing at EWR.
cesco.g, SPN Lifer, EWR764 and 8 others like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Anyone have food and/or drink menus to share?
Old Nov 18, 2021, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dkc192
Anyone have food and/or drink menus to share?
See leoo 's posts in: COVID19: PL/UCs Suspended Ops; 39 UCs are now opened; 2 PL open

David
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Breakfast 11/20

My S.O. arrived at the lounge shortly before 6AM. Although they were letting people into the lounge (I think it officially opens at 5:15), service didn't really start until 6:30. Prior to 6:30 there were just some cold items at the buffet (bread, fruit, yogurt parfaits). Didn't seem to be a bartender yet as well.

He sampled three of the cooked to order dishes once the sit down restaurant area opened at 6:30. He declared the french toast to be the best of the three by far!

No bartender at 5:55 AM

French toast was pronounced very delicious!

Last edited by rittenhousesq; Nov 20, 2021 at 9:57 am Reason: typos
Old Nov 20, 2021, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
<snip>
The lounge was quite crowded between 4 pm and 6 pm. I would say it was 90% full and the only seats available were close to the shower.
<snip>
That's quite surprising (to me). I can't even recall it ever being that full pre-Covid, but I was never there between 4 and 6pm.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
....and waited for about 35 minutes before the food came. By that time I only had less than ten min to eat before having to go to gate C82 for my next flight. The burger came first and I asked the server to cancel the appetizer but it came regardless two min later. Food tasted great! Server was great too, but there is clearly staffing issues at both front end and kitchen. This is expected due to the lounge is only just open.
<snip>
There were always occasional reports of long wait times for food, I believe.
Nice to hear that the quality of food and overall experience has returned. Let's hope they keep this up.
Kudos to United!
Old Nov 20, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
He sampled three of the cooked to order dishes once the sit down restaurant area opened at 6:30.
Three entrees for one person? There was no pushback? The photos are great, thanks for posting them, but that's over the top.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Three entrees for one person? There was no pushback? The photos are great, thanks for posting them, but that's over the top.
The entree portions aren't that big; I could see how three entrees could constitute a normal portion size for a few folks. I've ordered three items several times at various locations (two apps and one entree or one app and two entrees, but never three entrees), and I've never gotten any pushback.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
why would there be pushback? You can order as much as you want.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
LOL you should see him at the Vegas buffets! I have to call them in advance to prepare extra food! But still he is still tall and super skinny! LOL
Also worth pointing out that he was flying, EWR-SFO-TPE, and as we know the meals in Polaris leave much to be desired at the moment, so might as well fill up on the decent food in the lounge prior to those long flights!

Last edited by rittenhousesq; Nov 20, 2021 at 6:04 pm
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:41 pm

Programs: VA Gold, United Premier Gold, Qantas Platinum
Oh crap. Does this mean LAX is closed? I have to go from a 14 hour flight to meetings and was expecting to have a shower...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.