Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA secondary US cities non-stop to FRA - Why not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA secondary US cities non-stop to FRA - Why not?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2021, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skylane
Why isn't UA looking at secondary US cities to FRA (instead of more flights to LHR)?
Why do you assume they haven't?
Old Oct 29, 2021, 6:49 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It's logistically more difficult because none of these secondary US cities are crew bases for 757/767 or 787 aircraft. That's not to say it can't be done but it's more costly and a bit more difficult to schedule. Also, FRA is mostly a connection city on the other end. Few go there as a tourist destination though more might do so to MUC. That's the big difference to LHR which is huge OW connection city and a huge destination. Probably could say the same for CDG and SkyTeam.
As an example, when DL ran PIT-CDG, they had to schedule a 757 or 767 on ATL-PIT or JFK-PIT to get the aircraft in place. The lounge access in PIT I think was contracted with US/AA for J passengers, so they didn't have a full DL branded experience and the lounge was nowhere near the DL gate.

Using PIT again as an example, UA currently flies regional jets on EWR-PIT, IAD-PIT, IAH-PIT, and a combination regional/mainline on ORD-PIT. So they would have to put a 787 on one of those routes, which while awesome for the passengers, probably crushes the yield if not being outright half empty. So the overseas leg has to be so profitable as to pay for the positioning flight. That's probably unlikely for a secondary city.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
As an example, when DL ran PIT-CDG, they had to schedule a 757 or 767 on ATL-PIT or JFK-PIT to get the aircraft in place. The lounge access in PIT I think was contracted with US/AA for J passengers, so they didn't have a full DL branded experience and the lounge was nowhere near the DL gate.

Using PIT again as an example, UA currently flies regional jets on EWR-PIT, IAD-PIT, IAH-PIT, and a combination regional/mainline on ORD-PIT. So they would have to put a 787 on one of those routes, which while awesome for the passengers, probably crushes the yield if not being outright half empty. So the overseas leg has to be so profitable as to pay for the positioning flight. That's probably unlikely for a secondary city.
why would UA have to operate a 787 ORD-PIT? You can simply do a W pattern with HUB-FRA-PIT-FRA-HUB.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 7:37 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by CALMSP
why would UA have to operate a 787 ORD-PIT? You can simply do a W pattern with HUB-FRA-PIT-FRA-HUB.
They could do that but it would also require deadheading crews all of the time, probably to/from ORD as that has the bigger aircraft.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ezefllying
What I wonder is whether United could attempt Frankfurt to...

Honolulu.

As best I can tell, there is no nonstop service from Europe to Hawaii.
If there was remotely viable traffic to/from Europe, I think Hawaiian Airlines would've already tried. Plus, Hawaii is 11/12/13 hours behind Europe whereas most popular beach/tropical destinations (Canary Islands, Mediterranean, Caribbean, and SE Asia) have less of a jet lag issue.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Has LH already snatched up all the interesting UA secondary cities?
Pretty much... IIRC, ATL, BOS, DFW, MIA, DTW, PHL, SEA (I'm sure I missed a few). Between those and all the hub flights... what are we talking here (aside from those mentioned like PIT, CLE, RDU, etc). PHX? LAS? CVG?

I think you could easily make the case that LH/UA already have FRA pretty covered in the US. Sure, I'd like to see GRR/CMH/BNA/TPA/JAX service to FRA but as mentioned above... you might be able to fill that 1X... maybe 2x per week. but certainly not at sustainable levels.

nstead of more flights to LHR)?
WRT LHR vs. FRA I think the big component you are missing is that LHR is a big O&D market that is not a hub for a *A carrier (since BD's demise). So there are greater opportunities there to get somewhat creative with routes. If it was a more business centric location I think you could make the same case(as LHR) for CDG or FCO (mainly because of its lack of *A dominant carrier)
Old Oct 29, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
They could do that but it would also require deadheading crews all of the time, probably to/from ORD as that has the bigger aircraft.
you still wouldn't have to deadhead crews, a trip would be built the same way........crew starts at XXX-FRA(overnight)-PIT(overnight)-FRA(overnight)-XXX trip over.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you still wouldn't have to deadhead crews, a trip would be built the same way........crew starts at XXX-FRA(overnight)-PIT(overnight)-FRA(overnight)-XXX trip over.
Yep. "W" patterns for equipment and crew are nothing new. UA does this regularly (at least it did pre-Covid and I am sure will again as necessary in the new "normal"). As does DL to get to a lot of its "secondary" cities from AMS / CDG.

Yes it does increase crew layover costs a bit but overall it is much more efficient than deadheading crews all over the place and mismatching widebodies onto short domestic shuttling legs.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 8:23 am

Your proposed schedule is way longer than any current UA crew trip. Also, when you write "crew starts (and ends) at XXX", those are extra deadhead trips on each end.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your proposed schedule is way longer than any current UA crew trip. Also, when you write "crew starts (and ends) at XXX", those are extra deadhead trips on each end.
You are just wrong about this. When I worked at UA there were definitely pilot schedules like IAD-LHR-LAX-LHR-IAD. Six days, no deadheading. IAD-based 777 pilots. I think at the time there was no LAX 777 base but UA decided a 777 was the best A/C for LAX-LHR.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
All of this discussion highlights that it's not just the potential markets between non-hub secondary cities to international destinations but all of the operational considerations: crews, lounges, catering, maintenance, irrops, etc.

David
Dyce likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by DELee
All of this discussion highlights that it's not just the potential markets between non-hub secondary cities to international destinations but all of the operational considerations: crews, lounges, catering, maintenance, irrops, etc.

David
correct, but thats part of every city an airline fly's to, with the exception of lounges.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Bear96
You are just wrong about this. When I worked at UA there were definitely pilot schedules like IAD-LHR-LAX-LHR-IAD. Six days, no deadheading. IAD-based 777 pilots. I think at the time there was no LAX 777 base but UA decided a 777 was the best A/C for LAX-LHR.
What was the actual schedule like on that? I.e. what days were the flying days and what days were rest days?
Was it:
DAY 1: Depart IAD
DAY 2: Arrive LHR, rest remainder of the day
DAY 3: Fly LHR-LAX, overnight rest on arrival
DAY 4: Depart LAX
DAY 5: Arrive LHR, rest remainder of the day
DAY 6: Fly LHR-IAD, end of trip

I thought pilots (and even FAs) got longer rest periods than that following TATL flights (at least eastbound redeyes) but I admit to not being privy to pilot rest agreements beyond what is required by the FAA for crew rest.

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
If there was remotely viable traffic to/from Europe, I think Hawaiian Airlines would've already tried. Plus, Hawaii is 11/12/13 hours behind Europe whereas most popular beach/tropical destinations (Canary Islands, Mediterranean, Caribbean, and SE Asia) have less of a jet lag issue.
Does HA have the equipment to operate to Europe if they even wanted to? HNL-LHR is over 7,200 miles. While within the "published" range of 13,450 km or ~8,350 miles for the A330-200 on Airbus's website, that's a long route once you begin to factor in passenger loads, cargo, reserve fuel, etc. It might be a more viable option (at least in terms of operational capability) once HA takes on their 787s but the economics and demand for the route are another matter, for the reasons you note in your post.
ezefllying likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

Does HA have the equipment to operate to Europe if they even wanted to? HNL-LHR is over 7,200 miles. While within the "published" range of 13,450 km or ~8,350 miles for the A330-200 on Airbus's website, that's a long route once you begin to factor in passenger loads, cargo, reserve fuel, etc.
They don't do it all the time but they have occasionally taken delivery of a A330 direct from the factory in France to Honolulu. But I agree, adding passengers and likely no cargo doesn't make this a financially viable flight. I'll add - Hawaiian did announce a HNL-LHR flight in 2014 when they had a A350-800 on order.

Airbus A330 | Hawaiian Airlines

"Each plane is assembled at the Airbus facility in Toulouse, France, then flown 16 hours and 6,600 miles to Hawaii, often non-stop."

Last edited by HNLbasedFlyer; Oct 29, 2021 at 10:03 am
Old Oct 29, 2021, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Bear96
I stand corrected! What I was thinking of was for narrowbody AC where I was told a shorter number of days than would be required for a W trip like this. It appears widebody crews can be scheduled longer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.