Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA amenity kits (2021 & onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2022, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The new cases look nice, though I'd rather that they replace the Sundae Rilly with quality products than focus on what the outer case looks like.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
IADdelayed - Those are from last year

Last edited by Nikongirl; Jun 5, 2022 at 7:50 pm Reason: Directing reply
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Now UA needs to step up their amenity quality

New kit cases look awesome. Delta has Malin + Goetz products. Would love to see UA step up to amenities of that caliber. It’s important for it to be a brand that people recognize from luxury hotels so that customers really feel like it’s a luxurious product. It creates a halo effect.

When I have gone to an Equinox gym, using their Kiehl’s products makes me feel special - even though it’s just another lotion or shampoo. That’s the kind of effect UA needs onboard ALL of their aircraft. Something that people will be talking about.

On the other hand, I had never heard of Sunday Riley before UA. Even the cowshed products had some brand recognition - they’re made by Soho House.

Here’s an idea: Switch out the generic hand soap on all mainline aircraft with something made by the same supplier would go a long way to elevating the UA brand. Add a hand lotion dispenser in the bathrooms as well. I know a lot of the int’l wide bodies have this.

Such a move would also serve as a great tie in to introduce mainline domestic pax to whatever amenity brand they have (be it Sunday Riley or a replacement) and maybe even get a small subset of people excited to take an int’l flight just for the amenity kit!

Last edited by Amargolis; Jun 5, 2022 at 8:43 pm Reason: Added more thoughts :)
Old Jun 5, 2022, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Nikongirl
IADdelayed - Those are from last year
Guess UA is getting rid of some leftover old stock.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Amargolis
Here’s an idea: Switch out the generic hand soap on all mainline aircraft with something made by the same supplier would go a long way to elevating the UA brand.
It's all soap. I really don't care what brand it is as long as it gets my hands clean.

Add a hand lotion dispenser in the bathrooms as well. I know a lot of the int’l wide bodies have this.
<standing on soap box>
Hand lotion makes my hands slimy and I despise it. I am fine without it. I know, though, that some people really like it. Therefore, my biggest complaint is that the stuff needs to be well labeled. I've lost count of the number of places that have two identical dispensers in the bathroom, one with hand lotion and one with soap, that differ only in the teeny tiny print on the side that I can't read without reading glasses. The most recent offender in this category that I've encountered is the Centurion lounge at IAH. It's S frustrating to want to wash one's hands and to instead end up with hands covered with slimy goop that then needs to be washed off.
</getting down off soapbox>
Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Put the lotion in the basket
mrow likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Put the lotion in the basket
There would be a whole lot less waste if they'd have baskets to distribute of all the amenity kit items. I realize some here have complained about doing so, but one has to ask how many people actually use what's in the kits on a flight. The most I ever use is the eye shade and ear plugs -- and that's only when I forget to bring my wn.
kirkwoodj and Nanagose like this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:43 pm

Having had both old and new eye masks in hand I much prefer the old Polaris ones ...
Old Jun 6, 2022, 3:07 pm

I’d 100% give up the away case and return the much nicer eye masks. They clearly have a $ amount to spend per kit and when the kit costs more the eye mask suffers.

I personally don’t like the large heavy kits. I’d rather have a small squishy one and nice masks.

in case you haven’t noticed I really care about the eye mask and bummed every time they go to the cheaper ones
evol likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
New kit cases look awesome. Delta has Malin + Goetz products. Would love to see UA step up to amenities of that caliber. It’s important for it to be a brand that people recognize from luxury hotels so that customers really feel like it’s a luxurious product. It creates a halo effect.
you are really outdated, delta had switched away from both Tumi and Malin+goetz long ago, it had been switched to a brand that no one recognize called someone somewhere and grown alchemist, ever heard of either brands ?

Newer companies constantly use airlines and hotels for fast and wide brand recognition, 10 years ago Malin+goetz wasn't known by anybody, you barely see them in hotels, same with bliss, B6 made bliss to become a hit brand. Why would both airlines drop both brands ? Once the brand become hit then they demand to increase cost per kit, even JetBlue that has an excellent mint product refuse to pay $0.50 extra per kit (forgot the exact amount, it might be extra $1/kit), for such a tiny cost to them, airlines still refuse to pay extra.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jun 6, 2022 at 3:53 pm
Old Jun 6, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold

When I have gone to an Equinox gym, using their Kiehl’s products makes me feel special - even though it’s just another lotion or shampoo. That’s the kind of effect UA needs onboard ALL of their aircraft. Something that people will be talking about.

On the other hand, I had never heard of Sunday Riley before UA. Even the cowshed products had some brand recognition - they’re made by Soho House.

Here’s an idea: Switch out the generic hand soap on all mainline aircraft with something made by the same supplier would go a long way to elevating the UA brand. Add a hand lotion dispenser in the bathrooms as well. I know a lot of the int’l wide bodies have this.

Such a move would also serve as a great tie in to introduce mainline domestic pax to whatever amenity brand they have (be it Sunday Riley or a replacement) and maybe even get a small subset of people excited to take an int’l flight just for the amenity kit!
I had heard of Sunday Riley before — but that's because I often shop at Sephora and other high-end beauty stores that carry the brand. It's decent, but there are better luxury skincare brands out there.

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
you are really outdated, delta had switched away from both Tumi and Malin+goetz long ago, it had been switched to a brand that no one recognize called someone somewhere and grown alchemist, ever heard of either brands ?

Newer companies constantly use airlines and hotels for fast and wide brand recognition, 10 years ago Malin+goetz wasn't known by anybody, you barely see them in hotels, same with bliss, B6 made bliss to become a hit brand. Why would both airlines drop both brands ? Once the brand become hit then they demand to increase cost per kit, even JetBlue that has an excellent mint product refuse to pay $0.50 extra per kit (forgot the exact amount, it might be extra $1/kit), for such a tiny cost to them, airlines still refuse to pay extra.
Grown Alchemist is another one that someone into skincare/beauty would know. That's a pretty decent brand, actually. (Australian, I believe.) I have a night creme from them that I like quite a bit.

I wouldn't knock a brand I didn't recognize; the popularity of skincare has allowed for a lot of small, niche luxury brands to thrive, and many (many) are much better than the sort of "tentpole" department store-esque legacy brands people might prefer.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Speaking of brands I've never heard of, has anyone noticed the Murchison-Hume products in the lavs? They were on a CNBC show "The Profit". One of the complaints was that you have no idea what the product does from the label. While that's true, it's also the only reason I recognized it.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
If anyone has one of the new hard-side style Polaris kits and wants to get rid of it, would love to have one.

Finally got around to reading about the hand slap that Sunday Riley got for manipulating reviews. Seems to be the way to make your brand relevant - influencers/social media and review strategization.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
There would be a whole lot less waste if they'd have baskets to distribute of all the amenity kit items. I realize some here have complained about doing so, but one has to ask how many people actually use what's in the kits on a flight. The most I ever use is the eye shade and ear plugs -- and that's only when I forget to bring my wn.

Indeed!! Good earphones to link to a good in flight system are a necessity! Pretty much everything else is questionable.

I`d like to be able to request ear plugs & eye mask if I forget my own. A small portion of mouth wash may be of more practical value than a toothbrush & paste, that could be useful! Pretty much everything else is a waste as far as I`m concerned but maybe not for others? I`d like 2 pillows (I loved the saks quality) and have noticed not everyone uses theirs, (nor the blankets) so maybe those could be on request too? The socks are simply too late, I put my own on before travelling, I don`t want to be bothered putting socks on on board a plane!
Old Jun 9, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
I guess everyone has different preferences. I do not like Malin+Goetz products. I love Le Meridien hotels but don’t like to carry my own toiletries—so I always think twice about booking them as I will have to bring my own stuff. The Sunday Riley stuff doesn’t bother me. My favorite brand is Aveda products.
WheelsUpGal likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.