Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why no food on 4+ hour UA USA-Central America (and Canada?) flights in Y?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2021, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold

I recently flew DEN-SJO, which is a 5:10 flight. I was in Y, and asked for the 1K snack and drink. I was given a beer, but the FA told that me that they never load snack boxes or food for purchase on the DEN-SJO flights. Current UA policy says that flights > 4 hours have Choice Menu snacks available for purchase, so this was quite confusing. Also, the free snack for 1Ks is a published benefit for flights > 4 hours, so their choice to not load food precludes them from honoring that benefit.

This week I fly SJO-EWR in Y. This flight is 5:11, and yet my reservation says that food is not available for purchase on this flight either. I'm assuming that I will again be denied the snack box that is a published 1K benefit.

Is there some special reason that the 5+ hour SJO flights from places like DEN and EWR are not being loaded with food for purchase?

I've flown the same routes in J recently, and they are still being catered as normal (well, as normal as COVID gets... wine in a plastic cup). The lack of food on the 5+ hour flight seems to be only in Y.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 6:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
.... Current UA policy says that flights > 4 hours have Choice Menu snacks available for purchase, ....
"Within the United States"
MatthewLAX and mathprof like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Is there some special reason that the 5+ hour SJO flights from places like DEN and EWR are not being loaded with food for purchase?
(bolding mine)

Nothing special going on; just United being cheap as always.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Thanks for the link. That's interesting. I wonder what the logic is behind that. Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to load a few items on the plane in DEN, IAH, or EWR - certainly they'd sell all of them either en route to SJO or on the way back.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Hello,

is the Bistro really back? (warm snack? burger.. etc.)

Early September after seeing the menu in the United's magazine on my way to IAD from Canada, I said great! but on my second leg IAD to SFO where I was very hungry only the snack boxes were available.
Now I have a new flight next Tuesday with tight connection at EWR, for 6 hour flight EWR to SFO.

So I am a bit curious...

Regards,
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by modi

I'll chime in Wednesday if I don't get my upgrade ORD-LAS which clocks in at 4 hours 5 minutes. I'll try to get the burger.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
SJO = San Jose, Costa Rica
IMissThe747 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:31 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'll chime in Wednesday if I don't get my upgrade ORD-LAS which clocks in at 4 hours 5 minutes. I'll try to get the burger.
Why not get Tortas Fronterra instead?
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
IME this applies to all 5 hour flights. It's been this way since the start of the pandemic. It's incredibly stupid but airline management doesn't seem to understand what makes customers happy, aside from low fares and flights that run as scheduled.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
The issue is not so much UA being cheap (they'd love to sell you their crap food), as food importation restrictions in Central America (and Canada) - at least that is what I have been told.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
The issue is not so much UA being cheap (they'd love to sell you their crap food), as food importation restrictions in Central America (and Canada) - at least that is what I have been told.
thats a bs excuse just like covid. If they wanted to do it they would do it. Nobody at UA gives a - about the customer experience.
truncated and iluv2fly like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:11 am
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by modi
Hello,

Early September after seeing the menu in the United's magazine on my way to IAD from Canada, I said great! but on my second leg IAD to SFO where I was very hungry only the snack boxes were available.
Now I have a new flight next Tuesday with tight connection at EWR, for 6 hour flight EWR to SFO.

So I am a bit curious...

Regards,
Yes it is back, at least on the SFO-IAH route. I purchased the hamburger on Sat. Oct. 9.

Boraxo and modi like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
To be honest, UA could easily return cater "food on sale" on these flights without meals being offloaded at Central American and Canadian countries with the trolleys being sealed if they want to.
I am writing this because, importation restrictions would also affect First Class passengers, and they are probably getting more than a locally sourced snack + drinks on these flights.
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'd honestly love to know more details about this from whoever might know. I've been flying various US-YYZ routes multiple times a year going on 15+ years, and I think something must have changed relatively recently (by that, I mean the last 5 or so years ago) - not sure if its strictly regulations or a choice by UA. Before whatever point the changes were, the [food] menu was the same for flights originating in US or Canada, but then they started having separate [choice] menus for flights departing Canada, many with similar, yet different items (ie...they had a burger, but different bun, cheeses and/or toppings, etc.) When they rolled snacks back out, flights ex-Canada also got things like Peak Freans cookies as the snack vs. stroopwafel or Biscoff.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 7:36 am
Original Poster

I figured something like that played a role. Still, is there not enough space on a 737-800SFP to double cater snack boxes upon departure from the USA?

Today's flight leaves at 9 AM and arrives 4:11 PM. Only 5:11, but still, right through the lunch hour. I have to imagine they'd have plenty of takers if they sold the snack boxes or the Bistro items in Y. J is catered, so clearly no issue there.

Normally I can find the profit-driven logic, even if it's not customer friendly, but this is just perplexing to me. UA has a captive audience of 100+ hungry people - why not sell them food?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.