Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Operations during Australia's Reopening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
FT thread-->United Announces SFO-Brisbane (BNE), Australia
"Year-round, nonstop service between Brisbane and San Francisco starts in October "
AU Govt--->Digital Passenger Declaration
AU Govt-->Inbound international travel
Pre Departure Testing
From 18 April 2022, changes to pre-departure testing for travelling to Australia will come into effect. Travellers are reminded that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the requirements of the airline you are travelling with and any countries you transit through.
Pre departure testing not required from 18 April 2022

AU Govt--->COVID-19 and the border
AU Govt-->COVID-19 and the border- Travel restrictions and exemptions
<snip>
From 21 February 2022, all fully vaccinated visa holders can travel to Australia without a travel exemption. Unvaccinated visa holders will still need a valid travel exemption to enter Australia.
<snip>
Main AU CV19 thread-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/2012985-australia-s-response-covid-19-general-border-control-thread.html
Print Wikipost

United's Operations during Australia's Reopening

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM
We'll be flying EWR-SYD and back in mid July. Any wisdom here on whether to prefer LAX or SFO for my upgrade chances to/from SYD? Both flights look like they're flying consistently. And all the flights look wide open in J -- so wide open in fact that it might be a safe time to buy a cheapo K fare and plan to spend 320 plus points for two people round trip.

Ordinarily I would avoid SFO because it has more tech company people that buy into J directly, but I don't know if many of those people are getting on planes to SYD yet.

It looks like SFO-SYD is on the 777-300ER, which has more space in J (yay) but the horrible 3-4-3 in Y (boo), compared to the 787-9 for the LAX-SYD. So that would give the edge to the SFO flight because more seats in J.

I guess a secondary consideration is whether I want to fight with those people for the EWR-SFO upgrade, vs what I assume would be an easier EWR-LAX upgrade.

Please let me know if I am leaving out anything important in my comparison.

Last edited by arma5; Apr 12, 2022 at 7:39 am
Old Apr 12, 2022, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by arma5
We'll be flying EWR-SYD and back in mid July. Any wisdom here on whether to prefer LAX or SFO for my upgrade chances to/from SYD? Both flights look like they're flying consistently. And all the flights look wide open in J -- so wide open in fact that it might be a safe time to buy a cheapo K fare and plan to spend 320 plus points for two people round trip.

Ordinarily I would avoid SFO because it has more tech company people that buy into J directly, but I don't know if many of those people are getting on planes to SYD yet.

It looks like SFO-SYD is on the 777-300ER, which has more space in J (yay) but the horrible 3-4-3 in Y (boo), compared to the 787-9 for the LAX-SYD. So that would give the edge to the SFO flight because more seats in J.

I guess a secondary consideration is whether I want to fight with those people for the EWR-SFO upgrade, vs what I assume would be an easier EWR-LAX upgrade.

Please let me know if I am leaving out anything important in my comparison.
LAX.

Unless I can get the SFO-SYD or SYD-SFO upgrade at time of booking I book LAX-SYD and SYD-LAX. More GS and 1Ks at SFO. LAX other airline options to SYD.

I am someone who (well not during COVID) goes to Australia at least once a year.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by eng3
I ran into a similar issue. If I try a change on the website to my reservation to add a JQ or VA segment, it actually costs less depending when I check. When I call in (because I want to retain my cleared upgrade), #1, it took a while even to find the option, but then they say it will be like $500 extra, #2 they say they can't keep my upgrade.

Though now that I think of it, it may be better if I book JQ/VA on my own. I have no idea what my baggage allowances (carryon, checked) and seat selection would be with what UA books. If I need to add extras, I may not be able to do it online because the ticket isnt booked through them. I know it is alot more when adding at the airport. Booking through UA is about half the cost. Does anyone have any experience with booking JQ or VA via UA? what type of ticket do you get in terms of carry-on, checked bags, seats. I see JQ upsells carry-on size, checked bag, and seats.

EDIT: Based on this Jetstar GDS Guide it sounds like all include a 20kg checked bag but not seat or extra carry-on allowance. I don't know how to decipher VA agency info

Just to report back, it looks like the VA partnership is delayed. For anyone interested in future JQ bookings, it's not actually as horrible as I thought:
  1. For me, it was much cheaper to add the JQ flights to my UA ticket. It cost an extra $90 (A fare) where it would have cost around $300 had I booked it via JQ
  2. JQ charges for any seat assignments. Booking via UA, I am able to choose ANY seat including the expensive "Extra leg room" seats making the prospect of flying JQ a little more comfortable
  3. JQ limits you to a 7kg carryon (which INCLUDES personal item weight). They charge for checked bags, the lowest you can add is 15kg. Booking via UA includes a 20kg checked bag
  4. There is of course the added advantage of protection due to misconnection (though who knows what would actually happen in real life) and the ability to cancel all of it and get UA credit back
The issue is actually booking the JQ ticket with UA. My itn was EWR-LAX-SYD-LAX-EWR. I could book EWR-LAX-SYD-CNS,SYD-LAX-EWR but I cannot add the CNS-SYD segment all at once. I had to first add the SYD-CNS, then add the CNS-SYD. Since I had cleared upgrades on LAX-SYD-LAX, I had to call or use the chat with MANY HUCA to get the changes done. They would either tell me it is impossible to keep my upgrade or tell me they can't find the fare class. Then even when they could find the same fare class, they would quote a higher price. This higher price would range from $2 more to $500 more depending on when I ask. Never less. If I did not care about my upgrades, and did the change on the website, it would have only cost me $40.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
MEL service is scheduled got begin one month from today. UA60, SFO-MEL makes it's inaugural re-run on 02-Jun-22, with UA61, MEL-SFO starting on 06-Jun-22. Since these are the first runs, it looks like the plane will be parked there for 2 days. I would have expected they would have sent a crewe down a few days before to bring the plane back on the 4th.

Service is 3X weekly, Westbound departures for UA60 are TuThSa, and Eastbounds on UA61 operate on MoThSa.

Regarding the load for the first flight, UA60(02), the plane looks to be about 30% full, however economy sales have been cut off, only PE and J are available to purchase.

I'd love to hear everyone's comments speculating if the route will begin on time, or if it will be pushed back again. Hopefully UA knows it lost some ground in this market by being absent as AU reopened and realizes it will have to re-build its customer base.
Old May 2, 2022, 12:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Not my speculations but UA's
United Resumes Flights between San Francisco and Melbourne
Photos(1)

Starting this June, United will be the only U.S. carrier to offer nonstop service between Melbourne and the United States

United has been the only airline to offer continuous passenger flights between the U.S. and Australia throughout pandemic and recently announced new codeshare partnership with Virgin Australia

CHICAGO, May 2, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- United today announces the return of its nonstop service between San Francisco and Melbourne, beginning with three weekly flights this June. The restart of this route complements United's existing service between Sydney and the airline's hubs in San Francisco and Los Angeles. United will now be the only U.S. airline to offer nonstop flights from the United States to Melbourne.

"The fact that we retained daily passenger service to Australia throughout the lowest points of the pandemic – and were the only airline to do so – shows our commitment to Australia," said Patrick Quayle, senior vice president of international network and alliances at United. "We are thrilled to resume our San Francisco to Melbourne service and see a bright future ahead for United, for Melbourne and for US-Australia travel."

Since Australia announced in February that the country would open its borders to international travelers after being closed for nearly two years, there has been remarkable growth in travel demand from the U.S. United has more capacity from the United States to Australia than any other U.S. carrier, and the resumption of the airline's San Francisco-Melbourne service will provide customers with even more access to Australia ahead of the busy summer travel period. Additionally, United's recently announced commercial alliance with Virgin Australia will offer further connectivity to top Australian destinations with convenient one-stop flights.

United has worked closely with the Victorian government on the resumption of this service, as well as on broader plans for the market as demand continues to grow.

"We're backing more direct international flights to Melbourne because we know the critical role they play in supporting Victorian businesses and creating jobs," said Martin Pakula, Victorian Minister for Industry Support and Recovery. "Having more direct flights from the U.S. means it is even easier for visitors to come to Victoria and enjoy everything we are famous for – whether that's our major sporting events, food scene or cultural institutions."

United began offering direct service to Melbourne from Los Angeles in 2014 and launched nonstop flights between San Francisco and Melbourne in October of 2019, prior to the onset of the pandemic.
Old May 2, 2022, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

United has worked closely with the Victorian government on the resumption of this service, as well as on broader plans for the market as demand continues to grow.

"We're backing more direct international flights to Melbourne because we know the critical role they play in supporting Victorian businesses and creating jobs," said Martin Pakula, Victorian Minister for Industry Support and Recovery. "Having more direct flights from the U.S. means it is even easier for visitors to come to Victoria and enjoy everything we are famous for – whether that's our major sporting events, food scene or cultural institutions."
Translation: My tax payer $$, (as a Victorian) being given to a USA airline. UA had flights into MEL for many years.
Old May 2, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Translation: My tax payer $$, (as a Victorian) being given to a USA airline. UA had flights into MEL for many years.
As you saying the government is actually providing financial support for these flights?

The simple fact is that the Australia Government (and Australia as a whole) does owe at least a huge thanks to United for continuing to fly to Australia throughout the pandemic. Yes, it was likely still in UA's best interest (financially) to do so, but the simple fact is that the Australian airlines pulled out at the first hint of a drop in passengers, whilst UA kept flying (almost) every single day of the year, often multiple flights per day. Without these flights Australia would have found itself in a far worse position than it did over the past 2 years!
Old May 2, 2022, 6:15 pm

Programs: United GS & 1MM, Delta Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
IAH to SYD, will it return ?

I keep looking and I don’t see this flight ? This was my bread and butter Australia flight pre Covid.
Anyone heard anything?
Old May 2, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by CMHBIZTraveler
I keep looking and I don’t see this flight ? This was my bread and butter Australia flight pre Covid.
Anyone heard anything?
I'm still booked on it late in the year
Old May 2, 2022, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CMHBIZTraveler
IAH to SYD, will it return ?
I keep looking and I don’t see this flight ?
It's on the schedule starting end of October. That said, it was previously planned to start much earlier (maybe even this month?) and the start date has been pushed back at least once.
Old May 4, 2022, 5:47 am

Programs: United GS & 1MM, Delta Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
It's on the schedule starting end of October. That said, it was previously planned to start much earlier (maybe even this month?) and the start date has been pushed back at least once.

Thanks! I guess it’s through SFO till then.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by LordTentacle
Agreed, I've had to rebook my May flight back home to Syd 3x now due to schedule changes that have been 3-6 months out
Some of it has been domestic cancellations causing a miss connect and also they canned the IAH->SYD flight which I had originally booked on)
Anyone have any insight into if/when the IAH-SYD nonstop is going to resume?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 2, 2022 at 4:59 pm Reason: moved to existing discussion
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Will Dearborn
I consulted my Magic-8-Ball and it said... "Ask again later!"

At the moment this route is scheduled to start October 28th. It's already been pushed back at least twice, so only time will tell if that date ends up being correct or not.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Will Dearborn
Originally Posted by docbert
I consulted my Magic-8-Ball and it said... "Ask again later!"

At the moment this route is scheduled to start October 28th. It's already been pushed back at least twice, so only time will tell if that date ends up being correct or not.
FAs asked us last week, told em Oct 28 and that our itineraries were still intact. Fingers crossed, makes my life so much easier
Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
As info, the first MEL flight, UA60 westbound, is about an hour from landing in MEL. Under normal circumstances the plane would immediately turn around and depart the same morning, however this first aircraft won't depart until Sunday morning (It is currently Saturday morning in MEL now). I suspect they brought.a deadhead crew down so one crew can bring this aircraft back after they rest for 24 hours, and then the other crew can start the normal long layover.

Slightly off topic, but should we still expect the most senior crews on this route? 2/3 of the trips have a 48 hour layover and 1/3 have a 72 hour layover, and I'm assuming most of that is unpaid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.