Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

BOS-SFO was PS, was Business, now First, UC no/yes?, service levels? summer no 752s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-SFO was PS, was Business, now First, UC no/yes?, service levels? summer no 752s

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2021, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond

Through much of the pandemic, when BOS-SFO service operated with 737s, it was still concerned PS service (ps-lite?) with hot meal service when only PS flights had hot meal service, and no CPU upgrades. Just booked a roundtrip in September and the 'Complimentary Premier Upgrade Requested' now shows......I wonder if this is the official death knell for BOS-SFO PS for now, and that the 757s will not return anytime soon?
Old Jun 23, 2021, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
it wasn't "PS" before, and then it was.. and now , its COVID.

I'd say it all depends how business travel looks in 12 months.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
BOS was dropped from the non-CPU list last Nov 2020
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
BOS was dropped from the non-CPU list last Nov 2020
Not challenging your sources wine, but I've had three roundtrips in 2021 BOS-SFO and they have all been plus point only
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
BOS-SFO has been dropped a while ago now. UA IT has been slow to reflect that but it has not been 'PS' for some time now. I do hope this comes back ... we'll see.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
Not challenging your sources ...
Source was UA.com

Appears it has take some time to update the system
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Source was UA.com

Appears it has take some time to update the system
There was a discrepancy between what was on bomb and what I experienced. When asked GS agents said still considered PS and plus points needed for upgrade. wasn't an issue since I had lots and didn't ever try without to see what would happen. Shocking that UA might give conflicting information :-)
Old Jun 24, 2021, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
There was a discrepancy between what was on bomb and what I experienced. When asked GS agents said still considered PS and plus points needed for upgrade. wasn't an issue since I had lots and didn't ever try without to see what would happen. Shocking that UA might give conflicting information :-)
And 737s (including 7M9s) are now on the schedule through October 4. I'm guessing the loss of the 772PWs as well as the previous retirement of the 757-222s have led to this. Maybe when/if the 772PWs are returned to service there will be enough pmCO-752s for BOS<>SFO.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by wxguy
And 737s (including 7M9s) are now on the schedule through October 4. I'm guessing the loss of the 772PWs as well as the previous retirement of the 757-222s have led to this. Maybe when/if the 772PWs are returned to service there will be enough pmCO-752s for BOS<>SFO.
There are actually half of pmCO 752 that are still parked as intl + ps flights demand are still limited without much paid J revenue, so it doesn't necessary need to wait for 772PW to return if they want it
Old Jun 24, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, B6, WN
Not challenging your sources wine, but I've had three roundtrips in 2021 BOS-SFO and they have all been plus point only
Same here, had a few trips on this leg after it was supposed to be dropped and it was still treated like PS. Lounge access in SFO, hot meals, etc.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:55 am

This is my main route and UAs frequent service was appreciated. I really like the 757s too.

the old 737s are unappealing and the Max is a no-fly for me, so I am booking flights with a stop, trying to fly 787/777 cross country from EWR or IAD.

IMO, UA will lose market share if they go with an inferior product compared to B6 and DL.
wxguy likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, B6, WN
Originally Posted by LouieBOS
This is my main route and UAs frequent service was appreciated. I really like the 757s too.

the old 737s are unappealing and the Max is a no-fly for me, so I am booking flights with a stop, trying to fly 787/777 cross country from EWR or IAD.

IMO, UA will lose market share if they go with an inferior product compared to B6 and DL.
Agree, I’m going B6 Mint on this route this weekend for the first time. Never tried it before, but was able to grab it at the same price as UA on a 738. No contest with that decision.
LouieBOS and turbox3 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: None yet
Why SFO-BOS still marked as "United Business" not "First"? as lie-flats dropped

United has discontinued premium transcontinental service from/to BOS since the pandemic began. Now on flights between BOS and SFO operated by 737, United still market the premium cabin as "United Business" rather than "United First", despite these routes are CPU-eligible and non-lie-flat. Does anybody know the reason?

Last edited by moyang_mm; Oct 2, 2021 at 9:13 pm
Old Sep 21, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
They probably were lazy and never got around to doing it, perhaps thinking that using non-lie-flat aircraft on the route would be a short-term, temporary thing. If the route is now CPU eligible while maintaining the perks of being marketed as United Business (i.e., club access in SFO or BOS), then there's nothing to complain about! (Well, except for the loss of lie-flat seating, but that's assumed to be a given in the scenario/question OP was asking.)
Old Sep 21, 2021, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by moyang_mm
United has discontinued premium transcontinental service from/to BOS since the pandemic began. Now on flights between BOS and SFO operated by 737, United still market the premium cabin as "United Business" rather than "United First", despite these routes are CPU-eligible and non-lie-flat. Does anybody know the reason?
Interesting. I'm sure it's just an oversight by UA. Still, "Business" is the magical marketing designation that provides UC access. I wonder if the boarding pass scanners at the UC might see "business" and give the green light (and, if so, probably overruled by the desk agent)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.