Wiki Posts
Search

merged split fare/ticket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2021, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM etc
merged split fare/ticket

(There must be a thread on this, but I can't find it.)
Many times on "complex" routings I have had UA phone agents "split" the fare in two and then recombine them to get a lower total price. As an example, on-line, LAX-ACC-LAX in business is $2300 for my dates of interest, but adding SBA-LAX--a $100 flight--to the beginning yields a price of $4500--an increase of $2200. In the past, an agent would price the LAX-ACC and SBA-LAX as separate fares/tickets (not sure about the terminology) and then merge them to yield a final, single ticket with SBA-LAX-ACC-LAX for $2400. Today, I spoke to two agents who said they had no idea what I was talking about. Is this no longer possible with UA or did I just get two clueless agents?
Old Sep 16, 2021, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brhacker
(There must be a thread on this, but I can't find it.)
Many times on "complex" routings I have had UA phone agents "split" the fare in two and then recombine them to get a lower total price. As an example, on-line, LAX-ACC-LAX in business is $2300 for my dates of interest, but adding SBA-LAX--a $100 flight--to the beginning yields a price of $4500--an increase of $2200. In the past, an agent would price the LAX-ACC and SBA-LAX as separate fares/tickets (not sure about the terminology) and then merge them to yield a final, single ticket with SBA-LAX-ACC-LAX for $2400. Today, I spoke to two agents who said they had no idea what I was talking about. Is this no longer possible with UA or did I just get two clueless agents?
In general, you can't do what you described, and you've never been able to do it, at least within the rules. Airfare is not generally priced on a point-to-point basis.

If the LAX-ACC fare were combinable with the SBA-LAX fare, then the computer should price this automatically and you wouldn't need to get an agent to do it manually. If it's not combinable, then they shouldn't have been able to book it, and would have had to break a lot of rules to do so.

You can book this yourself on separate tickets, but there's no way to merge them, and, in theory, if your SBA-LAX flight were delayed, UA would have no obligation to get you to ACC. (In practice, if your inbound and outbound flights are both operated by UA, they tend to be quite reasonable).

Now, it's possible that the agents created separate tickets and put them both into the same record locator (reservation) in order to simplify things for you, but separate tickets would still carry the downsides I mentioned. (Also, agents aren't really supposed to put multiple tickets into the same record, so that'd be another rule broken).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.