Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Requiring All US Employees to Vaccinate - now by 27 Sept 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Requiring All US Employees to Vaccinate - now by 27 Sept 2021

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
One of the safest places you can be is on a plane with medical grade HEPA filters.

The vaccination effort has little to do with flying and everything to do with immunization of a workplace many of whom aren’t on planes.
And one of the most dangerous places you can be is on the plane after boarding but before those medical grade HEPA filter, touching shoulders with a pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic COVID positive person who decides to chat with you while drinking coffee without a mask on. Or seated anywhere near that person.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Is that literally what they said though in official marketing, press releases etc?
Yes.

United Airlines says the risk of COVID-19 exposure onboard its aircraft is "virtually non-existent" after a new study finds that when masks are worn there is only a 0.003% chance particles from a passenger can enter the passenger's breathing space who is sitting beside them.
https://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4101490.html
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this tread is about the UA employee vaccination requirement and not passengers (or their use of masks), please let's focus here on the employee requirement discussion.

Use the existing, UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT for passenger on-plane / mask usage discussions.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by bearkatt
the unions at united were sure quiet about all of this.
AFA wasn't quiet at all. They're all for it, regardless of how their members feel and will offer no support or guidance whatsoever.
N104UA likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Whyme
AFA wasn't quiet at all. They're all for it, regardless of how their members feel and will offer no support or guidance whatsoever.
The unions are for it as most union members are vaccinated. They aren't going to take the side of a small minority. UA employees overwhelmingly want to be vaccinated. It isn't a good look - even for a union - to go against the majority.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Fact:

At time of announcement vaccination rates for AA Pilots and Delta overall, we're at 60% and 73%, respectively. UA pilots were at 90%...
Money talks...
Old Aug 12, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dilanesp
​​​​​​
Every time someone says "Delta" here I think of the airline.
HaHa I thought he meant the airline too
Delta (the airline!) must hate this. Sort of like Corona Beer ; )
N104UA, IndyHoosier and dilanesp like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Whyme
I think the support and guidance they are offering are to the vast, vast majority of their members who would like to 1) get the industry back to normal

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 12, 2021 at 1:23 pm Reason: unneccessary comment removed
Old Aug 12, 2021, 6:27 pm

Is United also requiring this of employees who staff the "United Express" flights, i.e., Republic Air, Air Wisconsin, etc.? Sorry if I have forgotten who currently has the United Express contracts...
Old Aug 12, 2021, 6:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Is United also requiring this of employees who staff the "United Express" flights, i.e., Republic Air, Air Wisconsin, etc.? Sorry if I have forgotten who currently has the United Express contracts...
from an earlier post
Originally Posted by paperwastage
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Does this requirement apply to people who work on United Express flights, i.e., Republic Air, Air Wisconsin, and whoever else may be operating those flights for UA (I've lost track over the years...)
i can't find a specific press release from united, but cnbc say
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/08/06/...employees.html

The mandate does not apply to regional airlines that fly shorter routes for United.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 6:59 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That's a bit disappointing but not surprising given the logistical and contractual challenges that flowing down that mandate would have absent some framework in place for it in the existing contract
(This may be OT for this thread but are crews for an airline like SkyWest or Republic segregated, as in a YX FA is "Only a Republic-for-United FA" or a "Only a Republic-for-American FA" or mobile (as in one trip could be an AA trip and the next a UA trip)? If that latter a UA requirement for regionals could become a defacto mandate for all of that subcontractor's employees to be vaccinated and an additional wrinkle that UA is probably glad not to deal with at least at this point) .
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I’ll be more vigilant than normal booking mainline routings where possible v RJs. No different than any other time
Old Aug 12, 2021, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
That's a bit disappointing but not surprising given the logistical and contractual challenges that flowing down that mandate would have absent some framework in place for it in the existing contract
(This may be OT for this thread but are crews for an airline like SkyWest or Republic segregated, as in a YX FA is "Only a Republic-for-United FA" or a "Only a Republic-for-American FA" or mobile (as in one trip could be an AA trip and the next a UA trip)? If that latter a UA requirement for regionals could become a defacto mandate for all of that subcontractor's employees to be vaccinated and an additional wrinkle that UA is probably glad not to deal with at least at this point) .
Regional FAs are not tied to a major. They can work a UA trip one week and an AA trip the next, for example.
lincolnjkc and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc (Post # 175)
Of course Delta is throwing another wench into everything...
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly (Post # 178)
I guess they were United in their desire to live.
Originally Posted by DELee (Post # 179)
Sometimes it's just the American way.​​​​
Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post # 180)
That’s the right Spirit.
This is a new Frontier. But don't let it make you Blue.

Fly the Friendly Skies!
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
This is a new Frontier. But don't let it make you Blue.

Fly the Friendly Skies!
I just heard from Southwest. They do not want to be a part of this
SPN Lifer and J_Stroming like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.