Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Requiring All US Employees to Vaccinate - now by 27 Sept 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2021, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium

Wow!

United Airlines to Require All U.S. Employees to Get Covid-19 Vaccines. WSJ.

1. ~90% of pilots already vaccinated.
2. ~80% of FAs already vaccinated.
3. Kirby has written dozens of condolence letters to families of employees who have died from Covid.
4. Those not complying will be terminated.

WSJ
https://archive.is/9ZELK

Marketwatch
https://on.mktw.net/37vmCBv

CNBC
cnb.cx/3Asmtvo

Last edited by spartacusmcfly; Aug 23, 2021 at 8:35 am
Old Aug 6, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: UA MM etc
Kudos to UA for following the science: the pandemic ends through vaccination. I'm not flying on any airline that doesn't follow United's lead and require vaccination. Next should be a requirement that all passengers be vaccinated.
mikew99, Lurch, Redhead and 38 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by princetonflyer
August 6, 2021 - United Airlines Inc on Friday became the latest company to require all its U.S.-based employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

The airline said employees would need to show proof of vaccination, five weeks after the U.S. drug regulator fully approved any of Pfizer Inc, Moderna Inc or Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine or by October 25, whichever was earlier.

I always thought this would await the FDA "full approval", and am surprised but also good with the "whichever is earlier" language. BTW, there's a carrot as well for UA employees ...

Employees who get vaccinated before September 20 and those that have already received their shots will get an additional day of pay. The executives said they are aware some employees will disagree, but added that the mandate was issued to make the workplace safer.
Good word, United Air Lines. Praise!
FLYMSY, nnn, N104UA and 1 others like this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Aug 6, 2021 at 7:52 am
Old Aug 6, 2021, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Excited to see this and will be booking UA exclusively until someone else follows their lead. Now, do passengers
FLYMSY, SPN Lifer, MazdaMP and 7 others like this.

Last edited by N104UA; Aug 6, 2021 at 9:19 am
Old Aug 6, 2021, 7:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
This is an industry leading move!
SPN Lifer, nnn, N104UA and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 7:48 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Except United doesn't seem to know anything about the different vaccines. I uploaded my info regarding my J&J vaccine and United says I need to delete and reload my info because my record doesn't show a second shot.

IT'S A ONE SHOT VACCINE!
FlyingNone, Dyce, 36902BRF and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
“We are here primarily for your safety” - way to back that up. Please do the same requirements for passengers. Then we can end some of the theater that results in plastic ramekins, wrapped rocks posing as bread etc.
nnn, EWR764, N104UA and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by N104UA
Now, do passengers
So families can't fly with their kids anymore?

People with medical conditions?

Would UA decline POC from flying, as they lag behind in vaccination rates?
Old Aug 6, 2021, 8:00 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Good Morning All,

To state the obvious, the current climate surrounding the pandemic elicits a wide range of [strong] opinions from multiple viewpoints. For purposes of this thread, and as it is on the United sub forum here, please focus discussion on the impacts to UA and the UA operation.

For discussions beyond this, please make use of the appropriate forum in Flyertalk.

Safe Travels,

J.Edward
UA co-moderator
Old Aug 6, 2021, 8:01 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Glad to see an airline get fully on board with the vaccine program.

Last edited by J.Edward; Aug 8, 2021 at 11:26 am Reason: Removed quote of deleted post.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by brhacker
Kudos to UA for following the science: the pandemic ends through vaccination. I'm not flying on any airline that doesn't follow United's lead and require vaccination. Next should be a requirement that all passengers be vaccinated.
Amen. Simple as that.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 8:15 am
Original Poster

I wonder if this move is step one of a three step process.

1. Employees
2. Passengers
3. Masks - Kirby was on face the nation recently and said, "... The federal mask mandate expires September 13th, fingers crossed..." Although, that comment was before the recent mask guidance.

Regardless, if the US is reopening, with a vaccination requirement, I could see the EU & Asia quickly reciprocating, at which point it would be the 'sleeves off Kirby's vest' to require passenger vaccination -- at least on int'l travel.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: UA MM
There are exceptions to everything. Has UA outlined what those are (presuming they exist) for certain employees to avoid termination?
J_Stroming and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
There are exceptions to everything. Has UA outlined what those are (presuming they exist) for certain employees to avoid termination?
Yes, UA said they will grant some exceptions for medical or religious reasons.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 8:32 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Archived link of the article here → https://archive.is/9ZELK

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I have this question as well.

From the WSJ article linked above:

“The three Covid-19 vaccines available in the U.S. are only approved for emergency use to protect against severe disease and hospitalization from Covid-19. Some corporate executives have worried about mandating vaccines without full approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Delta Chief Executive Ed Bastian in a recent CNBC interview said the lack of full approval makes it more difficult to mandate vaccination. Delta has said over 70% of its employees are vaccinated.”

Setting aside the efficacy of vaccine program, I wonder if UA - or any other employer - is opening the door to massive liability by doing so (and yes, I also get they could be opening the door to massive liability by not doing so as well), and can UA even legally require it in the first place?

(My question comes from another post and boils down to three reasons - see below if you want the details)

1. Federal law of which UA is subject to prohibits any mandate of emergency-use-authorization-only vaccines [EUAVs]. Subsection bbb-3(e)(1)(A)(ii)(III) of section 360 of Title 21 of the United States Code, otherwise known as the Emergency Use Authorization section of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, demands that everyone give employees the “option to accept or refuse administration” of EUAVs. This right to refuse EUAVs, implements the internationally agreed legal requirement of Informed Consent established in the Nuremberg Code of 1947. ( The Nuremberg Code ).

As the Nuremberg Code established, every person must “be able to exercise free power of choice, without the intervention of any element of force, fraud, deceit, duress, overreaching, or other ulterior form of constraint or coercion; and should have sufficient knowledge and comprehension of the elements of the subject matter involved as to enable him to make an understanding and enlightened decision” for any medical experimental drug, such as an EUAV. The Nuremberg Code prohibited even the military from requiring such experimental vaccines. (
Doe #1 v. Rumsfeld, 297 F.Supp.2d 119 (D.D.C. 2003).

2. Demanding employees divulge their personal medical information invades their protected right to privacy, and discriminates against them based on their perceived medical status, in contravention of the Americans with Disabilities Act. (
42 USC §12112(a).)

3. Conditioning continued employment upon participating in a EUAV and demanding disclosure of private, personal medical information, may also create employer liability under other federal and state laws, including HIPAA, FMLA, and applicable state tort law principles, including torts prohibiting and proscribing invasions of privacy and battery. Indeed, any employer mandating a vaccine is liable to their employee for any adverse event suffered by that employee. (
https://www.osha.gov/coronavirus/faqs#vaccine ).

Last edited by J.Edward; Aug 6, 2021 at 8:53 am Reason: Add WSJ quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.