Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should UA upscale the Hawaii fleet (postCOVID) and include premium pax lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should UA upscale the Hawaii fleet (postCOVID) and include premium pax lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2021, 6:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat
We're also heading to the Big Island for the holiday, the direct ORD-KOA flight. I agree everything is very booked up! We're in the "premium plus" seats, curious to try them (and better than coach, we didn't have the miles for 4 of us in the front of the plane)

Does anyone know if they are still Pre-Clearing at ORD for the direct Hawaii bound flights? Is it at each of the OGG/HNL/KOA gates, or just one location? Is preclear available in any of the lounges?

Thank you!
Old Dec 9, 2021, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I think the boarding pass class is based on equipment. So if you're on a flight with Polaris to Hawaii, it would show as Business.
No, if it (used to, as of the past year, anyhow) sells as economy/first, it's printing on the boarding pass that way.

Lets do a simpler example -- that 752 with lie-flats that runs SFO-EWR is business/economy. When it runs back EWR-DEN (or something), it's first/economy. Same equipment, same seat, different marketing. One of them you are getting into the UC "for free", the other you are not.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I think the boarding pass class is based on equipment. So if you're on a flight with Polaris to Hawaii, it would show as Business.

And as far as Big Island resorts, they are near sold-out for this month and next, so this idea that people aren't traveling to Hawaii (and paying a steep premium for hotels/cars to do so) isn't aligned with reality. Traffic numbers are up as are rates on the ground.
My boarding pass from last week SFO-HNL on a 773 says First Class.

I'm a bit skeptical on the resorts being sold out as opposed to holding back inventory - the news splash this morning on the local news is December arrivals down 22% from December 2019 - that is a significant number.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
My boarding pass from last week SFO-HNL on a 773 says First Class.

I'm a bit skeptical on the resorts being sold out as opposed to holding back inventory - the news splash this morning on the local news is December arrivals down 22% from December 2019 - that is a significant number.
What seems like the entire mainland got their catch-up visit in the mid week of June, while I was also there.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
DL is now offering D1 Salt Lake to Hawaii

UA is the only one of the 3 main carriers not offering their full flagship product to the islands (AA flagship business and DL Delta One) on longhaul routes. UA seems to have the best service west coast to Hawaii, however
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
UA seems to have the best service west coast to Hawaii, however
UA has the best schedule/frequencies between Hawaii and West Coat. Best service depends on definition of service.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
One would think that with what feels like a permanent shift to more premium leisure travel, UA would rethink some of the MAX configurations they are getting and go for more premium setups. Sure doesn't seem like it, though - that kind of thinking died after the high-J 763s.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
One would think that with what feels like a permanent shift to more premium leisure travel, UA would rethink some of the MAX configurations they are getting and go for more premium setups. Sure doesn't seem like it, though - that kind of thinking died after the high-J 763s.
and on the long haul, maybe put in a configuration similar to the new Delta A350s with a 2-2-2 J product that does not include tight footwells, or go with a 1-2-1 product without tight footwells (yes, go with an int'l F product, people will pay for it to Hawaii)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.