Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Vegetarian on UA TATL - do I need to pack my own sandwiches?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2021, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA

I'm flying IAD to CDG next week (upgraded to Premium Economy).
I understand special meals are not provided, but there may be some choice.
Is there any chance that the meal options will include a veggie option, or should I pack my own food?!

I called customer service but they weren't able to give any info. on meal options.
Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2021, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If you have dietary restrictions, never trust any airline to fulfill them. They may get it right, but you're gambling.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 3:41 pm

United doesn't have any special meals for covid (besides kosher for some special routes )

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...g/special.html
Some routes by default have vegetarian as one of the default meals (i think India route) due to the demographics, but yeah, pack your own food or be prepared to go hungry/pick out the meat from meal if it's even possible
Old Jul 2, 2021, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Based on my PRE-COVID experience on many TATL flights, there were always a vegetarian option, typically a pasta dish. Given that you in PP where the meals are the same as those in Polaris, there is almost certainly a vegetarian option. However, as others have said, do not count on it. If I were vegetarian, I would most likely pack something myself, just to be on the safe side.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If you have dietary restrictions, never trust any airline to fulfill them. They may get it right, but you're gambling.
IME, international carriers are much better than US/Canada ones, YMMV. Pay particular attention on UA if you get upgraded at any point - that almost guarantees the meal request (when they are available) will get lost, again, experience with this.

Originally Posted by paperwastage
United doesn't have any special meals for covid (besides kosher for some special routes )

Some routes by default have vegetarian as one of the default meals (i think India route) due to the demographics, but yeah, pack your own food or be prepared to go hungry/pick out the meat from meal if it's even possible
Originally Posted by mathgeek1978
Based on my PRE-COVID experience on many TATL flights, there were always a vegetarian option, typically a pasta dish. Given that you in PP where the meals are the same as those in Polaris, there is almost certainly a vegetarian option. However, as others have said, do not count on it. If I were vegetarian, I would most likely pack something myself, just to be on the safe side.
Kosher meals are for TLV flights only. Don't know about UA specifically, but most airlines serving Israel carry extra kosher in case. I know AC used to do it, for sure.

I agree, there is usually a vegetarian option on most international - at least what I've flown, though I don't know if its 100% of routes. Yes, it's often pasta. However, UA India flights always have the Hindu meal as that option (on UA, the Hindu meals are vegetarian (and no Indian veg option), but IIRC, that's not IATA standard, Hindu typically contains halal meat, and Indian veg is the vegetarian version). On UA flights to FRA, at least pre-pandemic, UA uses Hindu meal as the veg option, or at least so I was told by an FA a couple of years ago, when we were on that flight, due to the number of folks (like us!) connecting on LH to India. And it saved us - I'm not, but my wife is vegetarian, and they didn't have her requested special meal (which was the Hindu anyway, so it ended up working out). Don't know if that is the case today though with everything changed so much.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Since OP is going to CDG, I think pasta will be a safe bet.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by paperwastage

How does providing special meals increase the risk of exposure to sars-cov-2?
ijkh and rch4u like this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 12:45 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
How does providing special meals increase the risk of exposure to sars-cov-2?
Same reason why they can't serve ice cream sundaes.
ijkh, truncated and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 1:04 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Going to France as a vegetarian is a bit like going to the beach with an allergy to sand and saltwater.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 4:22 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mathgeek1978
Since OP is going to CDG, I think pasta will be a safe bet.
They are vegetarian, not anti pasta - That pasta can have meat in it - or cheese depending on how strict of a vegetarian they are....

If it is important enough to come here and ask a question, you should probably bring something that you can eat, rather than play roulette with the airplane food.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Thanks for the comments.
Pre-covid I always called customer service a few days in advance to confirm the special meal was booked, and I'd carry a couple of granola bars.
But this will be my first trip during covid restrictions and while special meals aren't available (even if that seems to make no sense!)

BTW, France isn't that bad for vegetarians at least these days, in fact the farmers are started to protest against the growth of vegetarianism!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
Even if they have an appropriate meal for a vegetarian, what's to say they don't run out of the selection before the f/as get the order. I say bring your own and then if the offering is something that appeals to you, you can have your own food pre-arrival.

Last edited by Randeman; Jul 3, 2021 at 9:18 am Reason: clarity
Old Jul 3, 2021, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
They are vegetarian, not anti pasta - That pasta can have meat in it - or cheese depending on how strict of a vegetarian they are....
??? The original discussion was that the vegetarian option is typically a pasta dish.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 10:08 am

I feel like UA TATL, vegetarian pasta (not vegan) has been one of the main meal options (not pre-ordered) in Y on every flight.

But....as others said, I'd have some calories in my bag just in case.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Randeman
Even if they have an appropriate meal for a vegetarian, what's to say they don't run out of the selection before the f/as get the order. I say bring your own and then if the offering is something that appeals to you, you can have your own food pre-arrival.
this can be an issue, too, especially for those in the last few rows. A few more people toward the front than average that ask for the pasta (or whatever veg) option, and if you’re near the back, you could be out of luck. I don’t think UA has typically catered many/any extras either. I’ve seen them run out of the veg option for my wife in domestic F more than once.

Which brings up another issue: OP says they are in premium economy, so I presume that to mean premium plus. They have different meals than Y or J, right? This makes even less room for error on numbers on UAs part - in a 777, that’s what, a couple of dozen seats? So potentially even more of an issue with potentially running out? if you aren’t able to order special meals, which is the case right now, I’d probably try and get an FAs attention after boarding (when they’re not busy prepping) or not too long after take off, and let them know you are vegetarian and nicely ask if they’d be willing to make sure to hold one of the veggie option for you. I’d also have some [non-perishable] option with you to keep you going should you need it. Non-perishable is best so it can last as a snack or whatever at some point during your trip, or in case of delay, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.