Wiki Posts
Search

how to check % sold seats

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2021, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold
how to check % sold seats

i am planning for a long-haul flight (UA871) Saw some earlier post about the flight being quite empty that they were able to lie flat despite being in the economy class.

Was debating whether I should upgrade with points or not.
Is there anyway to check the % sold economy seats for the flight?
I looked into the advanced search, but all it showed was that most classes have 9(max) seats available.

Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2021, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by needHelp
i am planning for a long-haul flight (UA871) Saw some earlier post about the flight being quite empty that they were able to lie flat despite being in the economy class.

I looked into the advanced search, but all it showed was that most classes have 9(max) seats available.

Thanks!
just check flight status of the past few days. SFO-TPE is probably 90% empty for todays flight.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!
You can view the seat map, but that's an estimate at best. There is no way to check the percentage of seats that are sold.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
You can view the seat map, but that's an estimate at best. There is no way to check the percentage of seats that are sold.
publicly that is 😉
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 9:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You can view the seat map, but that's an estimate at best. ....
For multiple reasons, such as Since Basic Economy passengers don't get advance seat assignment, and especially for some flights originating from asia, advance seat selection is not the tradition.
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
publicly that is 😉
Employees providing such insights need to tread carefully.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and N104UA like this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
just check flight status of the past few days. SFO-TPE is probably 90% empty for todays flight.
Wow how you checked the flight status that show % empty? which site do you use. Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Wow how you checked the flight status that show % empty? which site do you use. Thanks.
There is no such public site but you can check seatmap while planes are inflight and get a fairly good estimate by manually counting.

While you can speculate future flights will be similar to recent flights, there is nothing you can access that will give you better data for future flights.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Wow how you checked the flight status that show % empty?
It is proprietary information for the airline. Disclosing this information would be grounds for dismissal and possible legal action against the employee.
writerguyfl and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

It is a long flight. And, in my opinion, a great way to use your points. It is one thing to lie flat in an economy row across multiple seats with your thin blanket and pillow - and quite another to lie flat in a seat that is designed to turn into a bed with a much more decent pillow and blanket (and food and drinks). Just saying.
trooper likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 2MM
You can also use Expert Mode on the UA website or use Expert Flyer to see what fare buckets UA is selling. If you are close to departure and they still have 9s on most discount fare buckets you can assume the flight will not be very full.

However, if you have the means to upgrade to J I would take it, some of the newer seats aren't super comfortable when you lay across then in economy.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 6:28 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life

Cant you put in some trial bookings using different number of passengers and see what the computer offers you? When you start to see the cost basis approach 200-300% of what you paid that's as far as you can go with some chance of upgrading
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Cant you put in some trial bookings using different number of passengers and see what the computer offers you? When you start to see the cost basis approach 200-300% of what you paid that's as far as you can go with some chance of upgrading
That won't provide you with any useful information. (And you don't need to go to that much effort -- you can activate Expert Mode to see the inventory buckets on the flight with a single search). The problem is, OP would like to know if there are 200 seats available (lots of room for everybody) or 50 (scattered middle seats). 10 or more tickets constitutes a group sale; the most you could try online would be 9.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
The seat map helps if you are within a few days or a week of departure, if 50% of the seats are open I wouldn't expect them to all fill with BE tickets. For example on UA871 tomorrow it is 9s across the board and the seat map is close to the one that went out today with tons of seats open.

With TPE entry restrictions still in place if OP is traveling very soon they most likely would be able to find a row to stretch out (especially if they buy E+) but that is just a guess. However if OP has the means to upgrade to J and is worried about sleeping I wouldn't risk it
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:12 pm

A visitor from another part of the world here... just wondering about the Y seats on UA's intercontinental aircraft (I suppose the newer ones mostly) Is it still actually possible to fold the armrests ALL the way back? I ask that as I have seen newer seats on other airlines where they would only go to 45 degrees...which clearly wrecks the ability to lie down properly when one finds a whole row......
Old Jul 1, 2021, 3:24 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by trooper
A visitor from another part of the world here... just wondering about the Y seats on UA's intercontinental aircraft (I suppose the newer ones mostly) Is it still actually possible to fold the armrests ALL the way back? I ask that as I have seen newer seats on other airlines where they would only go to 45 degrees...which clearly wrecks the ability to lie down properly when one finds a whole row......
On UA widebodies, the lie-flat economy bench is not an issue except for the bulkhead seats. I do not know whether or not the newer seats on B737 and A319/320 are different from the old seats. I could lift the armrests all way up on the old seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.