Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel waivers - Is UA issuing more than usual?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2021, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold

There have been some recent comments about travel waivers - due to thunderstorms and heat.
I have several flights (on a kinda tight schedule to smaller cities) over the next few days that missing a flight might cause a headache
Is it just me and this moment in time - is UA being more cautious and proactive?

Do we have any sense as to the relationship between some of these warning and waivers and the odds of a flight being significantly delayed and/or canceled?

-m

(please, do not turn this into a political discussion about global warming.....)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 25, 2021 at 10:27 am Reason: Let's focus on UA's actions
Old Jun 24, 2021, 10:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mfirst
....Is it just me and this moment in time - is UA being more cautious and proactive? ...
ORD, IAH, EWR are well known for summer afternoon storms.

A few years back, ORD went a string 8+ weeks with at least one weather waiver a week

Not uncommon for multiple hubs to have issues in the same week.

4 / 5 years ago, UA started to issue waivers a bit more proactively. Much was made in this forum of the frequency of those waivers.
United's Travel/Weather Waivers: Ever Expanding?

Originally Posted by DELee
For 2017, UA posted 117 travel waivers with 697 separate airport references
With summer months averaging 10-15 per month
jsloan and artvandalay like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 25, 2021 at 10:26 am Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edits
Old Jun 24, 2021, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
ORD, IAH, EWR are well known for summer afternoon storms.

A few years back, ORD went a string 8+ weeks with at least one weather waiver a week

Not uncommon for multiple hubs to have issues in the same week.

4 / 5 years ago, UA started to issue waivers a bit more proactively. Much was made in this forum of the frequency of those waivers.
United's Travel/Weather Waivers: Ever Expanding?

With summer months averaging 10-15 per month
Ha! Hoisted upon own petard from my posts a few years back.

I haven't tried to recalculate any stats from 2018 or 2019 but it's clear that the waivers give UA the flexibility to deal especially with weather events.

But, when I have time, I keep posting the latest waivers to this forum.

David

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 25, 2021 at 10:27 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edits
Old Jun 25, 2021, 10:16 am

There are also two kinds of waivers, I've noticed:

1. Hub-only waivers for more mild weather, like thunderstorms. The main idea here is I think you can re-route through another hub if it isn't your destination, but most O&D travelers will probably try to continue their journey unless they were looking to change their plans anyway. Even if their flight is cancelled or delayed they are likely to make it same day, just a little late. But all of the GRR-ORD-PHL pax can reroute GRR-EWR.PHL if O'Hare is having t-storms, reducing the total number of delayed passengers and freeing up capacity at O'Hare to accommodate pax from missed connections and cancelled flights.

2. Waivers that cover a large swatch of geography due to a wide-spread severe weather event like a snow storm, hurricane, or (in this case) unusual heat wave. A lot of flights are going to get cancelled/delayed and people might try to get out a day early or postpone travel till next week. Ground travel is also likely affected so sometimes these waivers extend beyond the immediate area that is affected, and sometimes confusingly even mention airports that UA doesn't serve.

But if an outstation like GRR is hit by a localized event like a t-storm they're not likely to issue a waiver -- your flight is either cancelled or it's not. So they are more trigger-happy with the waivers for hubs because of the large number of flights impacted and the ability to route passengers around it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I think it's more due to airline ops strategy than any weather changes (warming, cooling, or otherwise).

The long running and very flexible COVID related waivers gave the airline a peek at customer behavior with more flexibility that they hadn't been willing to experiment with before. Brough us changes like "permanent" no change fees, and I think also this more proactive approach to marginal weather conditions. Also contributed to by a large number of retirements/early retirements/furloughs in middle management bringing some new and different perspective/attitude about how to best run the airline.
LarryJ and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Is it just me and this moment in time - is UA being more cautious and proactive?
I would say it is location-dependent, i.e. some locations are more sensitive and some are not.

Do we have any sense as to the relationship between some of these warning and waivers and the odds of a flight being significantly delayed and/or canceled?
I would say there is virtually no relationship. FWIW - SFO can have travel waiver for weeks. And yet, the delay/cancellation due to the condition of waiver was minimal.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Keep in mind waivers are our friend. Without them we could be screwed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.