Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United.com offered me a competitor AA/DL/ ... / non-*A flight segment (!?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United.com offered me a competitor AA/DL/ ... / non-*A flight segment (!?)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Being partners isn't a requirement for United.com to show flights on other airlines. As an example, for many routes to Bangkok (through HKG), Cathay Pacific shows up all the time to book on United.com

I doubt you will get a United.com search to return a Delta transcon flight though. The google interface showed up the mixed-carrier itinerary, and I bet United was the first segment, which defaulted to issuing it on a 016 ticket.

Be aware, even if you book alternate carriers on United.com it does not mean you automatically get PQD/PQM/PQS/etc All those are dependent on operating carrier.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nologic98
Via Google Flights. Google offered me a mixed-airline itinerary (route was an open jaw: LAX-JFK;JFK-SFO) and said "Book on United.com". Sure enough, clicking brought me to a United.com check-out screen with one direction's flight operated by Delta.

I was fascinated by this, since AFAIK United and Delta are not partners.

No amount of Edit Search once on United allowed me to reproduce this mixed carrier itinerary. (which was a shame, since I had no way to enter my promo code).

Does anyone know how to get it to show itineraries like this without going thru Google Flights?
note if you are trying to use a promo code (I'll assume ETC), it won't work if there are any non-UA segments in the reservation.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I was super confused when I noticed this a couple years ago as I begin traveling. I noticed exactly what @goodeats21 stated: A Cathay Pacific flight segment. I tried calling UA and asking what miles I would accrue, etc and the agent came back and said nothing, LOL. Needless to say I didn't book that ticket after hearing those words, but I did ask why a couple more times
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
OP could have booked these as two oneways
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
In this case United isn't offering the Delta flight -- Ggle offered the multi-airline itinerary and the OP chose the option of ticketing at United.com. While not common, this is a regular occurrence.
LondonElite and oopl like this.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

UA and DL are interline partners. That's different from frequent flyer partners.

And UA can sell tix combining with lots of other airlines. Sometimes it does so on its own but not especially often. Mostly in Asia and Australia.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no big deal here at all.

UA and DL have an interline ticketing agreement. UA may ticket DL segments and vice-a-versa. In theory, UA could sell entire DL itineraries, but chooses not to for obvious reasons.

People here are wound up about FFP's and the like, but alliances and partnerships build on interline agreements.

There are times when it may save time and money to ticket a segment on another carrier. When that occurs, you have the benefit of the fare and of all of the protections of the single ticket. If that gets you home 4 hours earlier and $300 cheaper but without some marketing gimmick, at least ask yourself which you value more.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
UA and DL are both in IATA and interline partners. Unless there's plating restrictions on the fare you want, it's no problem to book segments together. I book a mix of UA and AA every year for south florida trips.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
UA and DL are both in IATA and interline partners. Unless there's plating restrictions on the fare you want, it's no problem to book segments together. I book a mix of UA and AA every year for south florida trips.
With Google flights I can generate dozens of interline routings with UA/DL and they are bookable through united.com. It used to be that way with UA/AA as well but now I can't find them. Have UA/AA ended their interline agreement?

AA/DL ended their agreement in 2015:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1709216-aa-american-dl-delta-
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by atword
Have UA/AA ended their interline agreement?
UA's interline partners include both AA and DL -- in other words, UA can issue an eticket on 016 stock including travel operated by AA/DL or covered by an AA/DL fare basis.

The reverse is also true btw; you can book a United journey on DL's web site via Google Flights. However, many UA domestic fare rules include a hefty $200 surcharge if the trip is not plated on 016 stock, so while you COULD book a $99 UA trip on a $299 DL ticket, most people WOULDN'T.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: All the programs!
I've done this with AA flights issued on UA stock.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
I fly on AA all the time on tickets I buy on United's website. (Usually nonstop routes to and from PHX and DFW.)
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
United.com has sold me mixed UA/AS flights to HNL. One way UA, the other AS.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
...While not common, this is a regular occurrence.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by oopl
I've done this with AA flights issued on UA stock.
Me too. Doesn't seem to be working currently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.