Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United.com offered me a competitor AA/DL/ ... / non-*A flight segment (!?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:53 am
was thetravelingRedhead
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier

Hi all,

I have some family of my fiance coming to visit us out here in ORD soon.

Because it was a last minute ticket, the cheapest I found was UA BOS-ORD and AA ORD-BOS. Not a uncommon itinerary- I've done it twice during peak periods.

However, what is odd that this whole routing was booked 100% through United.com . in my search for airfare before, I have noticed that AA isn't the only carrier you can do this with, AS and WestJet are a few of the others.

Anyway my question is this. First, will we have to go check in at the airport for the AA flight? If so, do I go to United (T1) or AA (T3)? It's a 6am AA flight and that dictates when we leave from the airport.

Also just for future reference- what sorts of mileage accrual to you get for an itinerary like this?

I can post a screenshot of the ticket confirmation in a bit.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
Hi all,

I have some family of my fiance coming to visit us out here in ORD soon.

Because it was a last minute ticket, the cheapest I found was UA BOS-ORD and AA ORD-BOS. Not a uncommon itinerary- I've done it twice during peak periods.

However, what is odd that this whole routing was booked 100% through United.com . in my search for airfare before, I have noticed that AA isn't the only carrier you can do this with, AS and WestJet are a few of the others.

Anyway my question is this. First, will we have to go check in at the airport for the AA flight? If so, do I go to United (T1) or AA (T3)? It's a 6am AA flight and that dictates when we leave from the airport.

Also just for future reference- what sorts of mileage accrual to you get for an itinerary like this?

I can post a screenshot of the ticket confirmation in a bit.
If it has a different airline booked on the itinerary, in your resevation, there should be a link for Additional information, which should contain the confirmation number for AA. Once you have that (if you dont, call UA), take the number and plug it in the AA website and pull up the reservation there. Beyond that its normal protocol. You might be able to add your AA FF number in the AA portal or claim credit post flight. You can check in on the AA.com site - if you have their confirmation number.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
1. For the AA flight, you check in with AA. It could be online (assuming that you have the AA PNR) or at the AA checkin desk at the airport.
2. You won't any UA award miles for the AA flight. You may earn PQD since it's a UA ticket, but I'm not sure. You can earn AA award miles for that flight.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
2. You won't any UA award miles for the AA flight. You may earn PQD since it's a UA ticket, but I'm not sure. You can earn AA award miles for that flight.
No PQD or other earnings on UA. If you put your AA account on the AA PNR, it will earn normally on AA.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Am I the only one mildly surprised that an AA flight can show up on .bomb and be booked?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Am I the only one mildly surprised that an AA flight can show up on .bomb and be booked?
It's a little weird but I've seen it before. The systems are set up to handle it well because travel agents book single tickets like this all the time.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:44 pm
was thetravelingRedhead
Original Poster

alright team- an update.

Just got the AA PNR. Pop it in and see this lovely section on the "choose a seat" page.

Nothing available in regular economy, which they are booked into.

So I call into United (wanted to go to them first since they were the ones who issued the ticket) and get this:

"You can secure a seat by buying a Main Cabin Extra or Preferred, but if they don't, they will be assigned at the gate. The seats are confirmed though."

Speaks to me like you could be bumped for this in the worst case scenerio, and since this is a spring break flight (3/20) to be exact, it could fill up quickly.

So, is $32 for both of them to secure a seat in 16 A/B worth avoiding a few hours or a day of frustration? I'm thinking yes, but since this is new to me I would love to hear your thoughts.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
alright team- an update.

Just got the AA PNR. Pop it in and see this lovely section on the "choose a seat" page.

So I call into United (wanted to go to them first since they were the ones who issued the ticket) and get this:

"You can secure a seat by buying a Main Cabin Extra or Preferred, but if they don't, they will be assigned at the gate. The seats are confirmed though."

Speaks to me like you could be bumped for this in the worst case scenerio, and since this is a spring break flight (3/20) to be exact, it could fill up quickly.

So, is $32 for both of them to secure a seat in 16 A/B worth avoiding a few hours or a day of frustration? I'm thinking yes, but since this is new to me I would love to hear your thoughts.
You'd be better off asking this question in the AA forum.

But to answer the question, AA holds back a certain percentage of seats for assignment at check in - for those without status. If they have to sit next to each other then yes, you should go ahead and pay. Otherwise they will get seats at checkin or at the airport. AA will do everything they can to avoid IDB.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a little confused here. I assume this app is for an AA flight? Not flying AA, I'm not sure what the stars mean, or why you can't select a seat (SeatGuru would suggest that those are not all MCE rows). Either way you are likely to be fine, but if a bump would ruin your day (despite being very lucrative), then $32 is cheap to avoid it.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by findark
I'm a little confused here. I assume this app is for an AA flight? Not flying AA, I'm not sure what the stars mean, or why you can't select a seat (SeatGuru would suggest that those are not all MCE rows). Either way you are likely to be fine, but if a bump would ruin your day (despite being very lucrative), then $32 is cheap to avoid it.
This is the AA seat map. The *** indicators are what AA puts on the screen to try to convince customers that some seats are better than others, justifying the increased price.

Not having a seat assignment does slightly increase the odds of IDB. But that is a very uncommon scenario overall and almost certain that there will be an opportunity to get seats in OLCI for free. Maybe not with everyone together, but seats will almost certainly be available.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
This is the AA seat map. The *** indicators are what AA puts on the screen to try to convince customers that some seats are better than others, justifying the increased price.
Oh, I see, AA has jumped on the "preferred seat" train. Seconding that IDB is very unlikely, but that $32 isn't that much to guarantee seats together.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
Earning RDM is a prerequisite for earning PQD. No award miles => no PQD.

Depends entirely on the trip. Depends on how much the travelers need to be on that flight. Depends on how they'd respond to "here's a couple hundred dollar voucher (or check), you're on the next flight". Depends how capable the travelers are of taking care of themselves in a delay, possibly overnight.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Speaks to me like you could be bumped for this in the worst case scenerio, [and since this is a spring break flight (3/20) to be exact, it could fill up quickly.

This is what happened to me when I flew AA in November. I left all my seats unselected and AA auto assigned me into Preferred seats for free. Not that there was any noticeable difference, IMO.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:37 am
was thetravelingRedhead
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12

Not having a seat assignment does slightly increase the odds of IDB. But that is a very uncommon scenario overall and almost certain that there will be an opportunity to get seats in OLCI for free. Maybe not with everyone together, but seats will almost certainly be available.
Oh, I see, AA has jumped on the "preferred seat" train. Seconding that IDB is very unlikely, but that $32 isn't that much to guarantee seats together.
Exactly my thoughts. Because these are basically first time travelers (I had to book for them too), I ended up convincing them to bite the bullet and get the seats.

It's the AA website btw. Looks like the app because they made it pretty- and I cropped on my chromebook

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
This is what happened to me when I flew AA in November. I left all my seats unselected and AA auto assigned me into Preferred seats for free. Not that there was any noticeable difference, IMO.
Good to know for next time. I've just had too many experiences under my belt with bumps and cancellations to risk it with someone as inexperienced ( I manage well because I know what to do- I don't think they would if the situation came up)
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:24 am

United.com offered me a Delta flight segment (!?)

Via Google Flights. Google offered me a mixed-airline itinerary (route was an open jaw: LAX-JFK;JFK-SFO) and said "Book on United.com". Sure enough, clicking brought me to a United.com check-out screen with one direction's flight operated by Delta.

I was fascinated by this, since AFAIK United and Delta are not partners.

No amount of Edit Search once on United allowed me to reproduce this mixed carrier itinerary. (which was a shame, since I had no way to enter my promo code).

Does anyone know how to get it to show itineraries like this without going thru Google Flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.