Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to sign commercial agreement with Boom Supersonic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2021, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Adding Supersonic Speeds with New Agreement to Buy Aircraft from Boom Supersonic
First U.S. airline to sign commercial agreement with Boom Supersonic
New aircraft will cut travel times in half and operate on up to 100% sustainable aviation fuel

Photos(2)

CHICAGO and DENVER, June 3, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced a commercial agreement with Denver-based aerospace company Boom Supersonic to add aircraft to its global fleet as well as a cooperative sustainability initiative – a move that facilitates a leap forward in returning supersonic speeds to aviation.

Under the terms of the agreement, United will purchase 15 of Boom's 'Overture' airliners, once Overture meets United's demanding safety, operating and sustainability requirements, with an option for an additional 35 aircraft. The companies will work together on meeting those requirements before delivery. Once operational, Overture is expected to be the first large commercial aircraft to be net-zero carbon from day one, optimized to run on 100% sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). It is slated to roll out in 2025, fly in 2026 and expected to carry passengers by 2029. United and Boom will also work together to accelerate production of greater supplies of SAF.

"United continues on its trajectory to build a more innovative, sustainable airline and today's advancements in technology are making it more viable for that to include supersonic planes. Boom's vision for the future of commercial aviation, combined with the industry's most robust route network in the world, will give business and leisure travelers access to a stellar flight experience," United CEO Scott Kirby said. "Our mission has always been about connecting people and now working with Boom, we'll be able to do that on an even greater scale."

Capable of flying at speeds of Mach 1.7 – twice the speed of today's fastest airliners – Overture can connect more than 500 destinations in nearly half the time. Among the many future potential routes for United are Newark to London in just three and a half hours, Newark to Frankfurt in four hours and San Francisco to Tokyo in just six hours. Overture will also be designed with features such as in-seat entertainment screens, ample personal space, and contactless technology. Working with Boom is another component of United's strategy to invest in innovative technologies that will build a more sustainable future of air travel.

"The world's first purchase agreement for net-zero carbon supersonic aircraft marks a significant step toward our mission to create a more accessible world," said Blake Scholl, Boom Supersonic founder and CEO. "United and Boom share a common purpose—to unite the world safely and sustainably. At speeds twice as fast, United passengers will experience all the advantages of life lived in person, from deeper, more productive business relationships to longer, more relaxing vacations to far-off destinations."

About United

United's shared purpose is "Connecting People. Uniting the World." For more information, visit united.com, follow @United on Twitter and Instagram or connect on Facebook. The common stock of UAL is traded on the Nasdaq under the symbol "UAL."

About Boom Supersonic

Boom Supersonic is redefining commercial air travel by bringing sustainable, supersonic flight to the skies. Boom's historic commercial airliner, Overture, is designed and committed to industry-leading standards of speed, safety, and sustainability. Overture will be the first commercial aircraft to be net-zero carbon from day one, capable of flying on 100% sustainable aviation fuels (SAF) at twice the speed of today's fastest passenger jets. Overture's order book, including purchases and options, stands at 70 aircraft, and Boom is working with the United States Air Force for government applications of Overture. XB-1, a demonstrator aircraft, rolled out in 2020, and its net-zero carbon flight test program is underway. The company is backed by world-class investors, including Bessemer Venture Partners, Prime Movers Lab, Emerson Collective and American Express Ventures. For more information, visit https://boomsupersonic.com.

Connect with Boom Supersonic on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Medium.
Print Wikipost

UA to sign commercial agreement with Boom Supersonic

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:27 am
RNE

Originally Posted by rowenb
"Five is right out."
"Three shall be the engine number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three."
xzh445 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:35 pm

In United's promo they very clearly mention SFO-NRT, but believe that with the official Boom redesign the range will fall under that, so SFO-NRT would have to stop somewhere or is no longer part of the operating target of the aircraft.

Not having an engine developer is also kind of a big deal.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by whlinder
In United's promo they very clearly mention SFO-NRT, but believe that with the official Boom redesign the range will fall under that, so SFO-NRT would have to stop somewhere or is no longer part of the operating target of the aircraft.
The speed and range reductions were announced at the time of the order so United knew it wasn't going to make it to NRT non-stop. At the time of United's order it was stated SFO-NRT in around 6 hours. That time seems to include a fuel stop in Anchorage.
Originally Posted by whlinder
Not having an engine developer is also kind of a big deal.
Yes.

Last edited by Mr.Nuke; Aug 17, 2022 at 2:56 pm
Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
It upset me to no end during Marcus Moore’s report on AA ordering the Boom Overture supersonic aircraft during last night’s World News Tonight that there was no mention of United being the launch customer and United previously ordering said aircraft so long ago!
United still deserves all the initial accolades for such a ground breaking project!!
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
It upset me to no end during Marcus Moore’s report on AA ordering the Boom Overture supersonic aircraft during last night’s World News Tonight that there was no mention of United being the launch customer and United previously ordering said aircraft so long ago!
United still deserves all the initial accolades for such a ground breaking project!!
I don't know if June of last year is so long ago, but whatever, these aren't getting off the ground anytime soon, if ever. Don't lose sleep over it.

Accolades? For putting an order in?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 11:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Some turbulence for Boom

Although in mid-2020 Boom announced that Rolls-Royce signed an “engagement agreement” to explore the technical requirements for powering the Overture, the UK engine maker told AIN that it reached a decision not to further participate in the program.

“We’ve completed our contract with Boom and delivered various engineering studies for their Overture supersonic program,” Rolls-Royce said in a statement. “After careful consideration, Rolls-Royce has determined that the commercial aviation supersonic market is not currently a priority for us and, therefore, will not pursue further work on the program at this time. It has been a pleasure to work with the Boom team and we wish them every success in the future.”
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
Thank you for the link, WineCountryUA!
I noted a few things I would challenge, but I suppose a lot of those are 'opinion' of both myself and the writer. Many would question some of the financial items posted. I am going off of memory, but believe the Concorde made money with just a third of its 100 seats filled. I guess the question is how often did they fill on average. In the late 90s and early 2000s, I believe it was actually cheaper to fly Concorde than regular first class on a 747 or 777. And while it is likely true that its days were numbered, a lot of people feel it is Airbus withdrawing from the consortium to provide the custom built replacement parts that put the final stake in its heart. BA had already buought TWO sets of kevlar tank liners for each of their aircraft and wanted to continue service (according to my sources).
All this is to say, I wonder if Boom can rekindle the environment of the 80s and 90s, when Concorde was in its heyday. By that, I mean a lot of the doubts in the article just didnt really exist back then, I dont think. But I am not confident that todays business culture can be convinced to go back to those days. It was just a different time. I asked someone at BA once why it was cheaper on Concorde and they said people preferred the luxury of a widebody.
In the late 80s, I lived about 3 miles off the end of rwy 19R (now 19C) at IAD. It was one of the highlights of my weekend, to stand outside, just after noon, as Speedbird 186 (IIRC) went over my house, even better as it stuggled for altitude in the heat of the heat of the summer. The noise was deafening, and it rattled things off the shelves in the house. Amazing.
I do miss it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My guess is this “boom” is now a “bust”. Unless you’re piloting a glider, an aircraft needs engines and there aren’t a whole lot of aircraft engine manufacturers in the world, certainly few capable of taking on a project like this. With RR out, I don’t see PW or GE rushing to take their place.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 11:33 am

I thought JAL or maybe Virgin Atlantic was the launch customer for Boom, no? I have no problem with other companies tooting their horn, as long as it raises the chances that Boom will succeed.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 11:53 am

Probably developing new fuel-efficient supersonic engine from scratch is $$$$ and demand does not justify.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
............With RR out, I don’t see PW or GE rushing to take their place.
Did Boom use GE engine for their small scale test model? I wonder why GE didn't continue to develop full size engine for Boom?
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TerryK
Did Boom use GE engine for their small scale test model? I wonder why GE didn't continue to develop full size engine for Boom?
Perhaps for the same reason RR quit. They all have bigger fish to fry with more realistic subsonic aircraft on the drawing board from established, reliable manufacturers.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
This RR announcement doesn't really change anything; they never had an RR engine planned, they just had RR doing some design studies.

GE F110/F118 is probably the closest off-the-shelf engine to what Boom needs, and of course the core has common heritage with CFM56. I doubt it has the efficiency Boom needs for TPAC, but at least it's something that exists, and with a bit of de-mil work, Boom could actually buy it.

If Boom wants a contemporary engine for their project, they're going to need to cough up the $5B it's going to take to develop, since none of the established players will roll the dice on them.

Originally Posted by TerryK
The GE J-85 engine for the Boom XB-1 demonstrator is a 1960s cruise missile engine that was previously repurposed for the T-38 trainer among other platforms. It was just a supersonic-capable engine they could easily acquire, probably second (or more) hand, in the right thrust range. No real involvement from GE.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by mduell; Sep 9, 2022 at 2:30 pm
Old Sep 9, 2022, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
GE F110/F118 is probably the closest off-the-shelf engine to what Boom needs, and of course the core has common heritage with CFM56. I doubt it has the efficiency Boom needs for TPAC, but at least it's something that exists, and with a bit of de-mil work, Boom could actually buy it.
I don’t think a military application engine will have nearly enough efficiency to make the final aircraft attractive to operators, not to mention it being a possible noise abatement problem.

Boom’s biggest challenge was developing an aircraft that could reach supersonic speed without an audible sonic boom, and I believe that might require a purpose-built engine for a unique airframe design.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 5:14 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Boom’s biggest challenge was developing an aircraft that could reach supersonic speed without an audible sonic boom,
I don't believe that was ever their intention. They only mention of noise that I see on their website refers to engine noise (no afterburner). The site says "2x faster over water" and "20% faster over land". That would suggest a subsonic cruise speed over land.

There are others working on minimizing the sonic boom but not Boom (Technology).
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.