Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to sign commercial agreement with Boom Supersonic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2021, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Adding Supersonic Speeds with New Agreement to Buy Aircraft from Boom Supersonic
First U.S. airline to sign commercial agreement with Boom Supersonic
New aircraft will cut travel times in half and operate on up to 100% sustainable aviation fuel

Photos(2)

CHICAGO and DENVER, June 3, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced a commercial agreement with Denver-based aerospace company Boom Supersonic to add aircraft to its global fleet as well as a cooperative sustainability initiative – a move that facilitates a leap forward in returning supersonic speeds to aviation.

Under the terms of the agreement, United will purchase 15 of Boom's 'Overture' airliners, once Overture meets United's demanding safety, operating and sustainability requirements, with an option for an additional 35 aircraft. The companies will work together on meeting those requirements before delivery. Once operational, Overture is expected to be the first large commercial aircraft to be net-zero carbon from day one, optimized to run on 100% sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). It is slated to roll out in 2025, fly in 2026 and expected to carry passengers by 2029. United and Boom will also work together to accelerate production of greater supplies of SAF.

"United continues on its trajectory to build a more innovative, sustainable airline and today's advancements in technology are making it more viable for that to include supersonic planes. Boom's vision for the future of commercial aviation, combined with the industry's most robust route network in the world, will give business and leisure travelers access to a stellar flight experience," United CEO Scott Kirby said. "Our mission has always been about connecting people and now working with Boom, we'll be able to do that on an even greater scale."

Capable of flying at speeds of Mach 1.7 – twice the speed of today's fastest airliners – Overture can connect more than 500 destinations in nearly half the time. Among the many future potential routes for United are Newark to London in just three and a half hours, Newark to Frankfurt in four hours and San Francisco to Tokyo in just six hours. Overture will also be designed with features such as in-seat entertainment screens, ample personal space, and contactless technology. Working with Boom is another component of United's strategy to invest in innovative technologies that will build a more sustainable future of air travel.

"The world's first purchase agreement for net-zero carbon supersonic aircraft marks a significant step toward our mission to create a more accessible world," said Blake Scholl, Boom Supersonic founder and CEO. "United and Boom share a common purpose—to unite the world safely and sustainably. At speeds twice as fast, United passengers will experience all the advantages of life lived in person, from deeper, more productive business relationships to longer, more relaxing vacations to far-off destinations."

About United

United's shared purpose is "Connecting People. Uniting the World." For more information, visit united.com, follow @United on Twitter and Instagram or connect on Facebook. The common stock of UAL is traded on the Nasdaq under the symbol "UAL."

About Boom Supersonic

Boom Supersonic is redefining commercial air travel by bringing sustainable, supersonic flight to the skies. Boom's historic commercial airliner, Overture, is designed and committed to industry-leading standards of speed, safety, and sustainability. Overture will be the first commercial aircraft to be net-zero carbon from day one, capable of flying on 100% sustainable aviation fuels (SAF) at twice the speed of today's fastest passenger jets. Overture's order book, including purchases and options, stands at 70 aircraft, and Boom is working with the United States Air Force for government applications of Overture. XB-1, a demonstrator aircraft, rolled out in 2020, and its net-zero carbon flight test program is underway. The company is backed by world-class investors, including Bessemer Venture Partners, Prime Movers Lab, Emerson Collective and American Express Ventures. For more information, visit https://boomsupersonic.com.

Connect with Boom Supersonic on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Medium.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold

Sounds like united is partnering with Boom Supersonic to create a passenger airline to start in 2029.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:03 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by BThumme
Partnering with Boom, for a 2029 supersonic airline?
Just saw that mentioned on the Today Show.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:13 am

Very cool, but how likely is Boom to succeed? Do they have the funds and expertise? Aerion Supersonic had some help from Boeing and they gave up last month due to lack of funds.

I’d love to see this happen: A safe, affordable, environmentally friendly commercial supersonic airliner. But it seems like a very tall order to make it happen. Reminds me a bit of the orders that Pan Am and others placed for Concorde. I’d love for my doubts to be proven wrong.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:15 am

Programs: QR Plat, AA EP, BA Gold, KE Million Miler, UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, HH D, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Any guesses?

UA purchased 15 Boom Overtures. You can check out the press on Boom's website. https://boom-press-assets.s3-us-west...Supersonic.pdf
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
More information regarding the order:

https://boomsupersonic.com/united

United will purchase 15 of Boom’s ‘Overture’ airliners, once Overture meets United’s demanding safety, operating and sustainability requirements, with an option for 35 more aircraft.

Last edited by delpiero223; Jun 3, 2021 at 5:47 am
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:18 am

Programs: QR Plat, AA EP, BA Gold, KE Million Miler, UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, HH D, IHG Diamond
JUST IN! UA to sign commercial agreement with Boom Supersonic

United Airlines today announced a commercial agreement to purchase 15 Boom Overture which probably enter service around 2029.
Check out the press released by Boom and UA.
https://boom-press-assets.s3-us-west...Supersonic.pdf
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stratoliner777
Very cool, but how likely is Boom to succeed? Do they have the funds and expertise? Aerion Supersonic had some help from Boeing and they gave up last month due to lack of funds.

I’d love to see this happen: A safe, affordable, environmentally friendly commercial supersonic airliner. But it seems like a very tall order to make it happen. Reminds me a bit of the orders that Pan Am and others placed for Concorde. I’d love for my doubts to be proven wrong.
It will be pretty cool if it does work out.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Boom! Looks pretty cool. Wonder how the prices will be.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:25 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
let me be the first to say that the livery looks awful on the boom.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:26 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by TomMM
It will be pretty cool if it does work out.
united strikes again… make a big deal out of something that isn’t happening any time soon and may never happen at all.

glad they have nothing to focus on improving today.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Long term, there definitely is a market for this. I hope it comes to fruition.
unitedbusiness likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:39 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Wow I’m impressed. That’s innovation!
unitedbusiness and mdtakamine like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 3, 2021 at 9:27 am Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:39 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Flights to start by 2029.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Boom desperately needs a PR boost. UA likely didn't need to put up any fund at all. It is pure PR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.