FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Vaccine status in app, "Your Shot to Fly" sweepstakes, Unlimited Free Flights for 1yr (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2040856-vaccine-status-app-your-shot-fly-sweepstakes-unlimited-free-flights-1yr.html)

STS-134 May 24, 2021 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr (Post 33275354)
I think they should give you GS status for the year if you win the award. Not that it really matters, but it would be nice :)

Why would GS status matter more than a year of free flights in any class?

junglematt May 24, 2021 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Cybertronic (Post 33275152)
Anybody know if you would collect PQP/Miles from these flights?

I had the same idea. I would gladly burn the remainder of those 26 trips at the end of the year on trips to SIN from the east coast to pump up my lifetime miles ;)

Miles Ahead May 24, 2021 1:04 pm

The good news is you get a year of free flights. The bad news is the year is 2020.

arles May 24, 2021 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer (Post 33275066)
What a pathetic lame system. My shots were given in Hailey Idaho at a pharmacy registered with the Idaho South Central Health District. The app does not recognize the entry giving this information.

I received my shots at Costco and the card lists Costco and the store number. The app would not accept the entry with the store. But accepted it with just Costco. Maybe try it with a shorter name.

gooselee May 24, 2021 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead (Post 33275593)
The good news is you get a year of free flights. The bad news is the year is 2020.

It's not been 2020 for a few months now....at least where I live. :)

I registered just fine via the website. Hadn't seen this thread yet so didn't even know about the issues entering the provider - I just typed "DCBOH" (I got mine at a mass-vax site run by our local board of health) because that's what was written on my vaccination card, and the website took it.

FlyngSvyr May 24, 2021 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer (Post 33275459)
I think 1 year of unlimited free flights is a bit better.

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 33275484)
Why would GS status matter more than a year of free flights in any class?

To be clear, I meant in addition to the Grand Prize. Mainly for IRROPS treatment, etc...
Notice, I said "Not that it matters".

wjj May 24, 2021 1:28 pm

I think that a major part of this is to allow fully vaccinated people to fly at least domestically sans a mask in the not too distant future. I think UA wants to do this but could not figure out how to document vaccinated people without running afoul of state no vaccine passport laws.So have pax volunteer their information under the guise of a rather rich raffle while checking a box to allow UA to use it for travel related purposes so arguably not a vaccine passport. Anyone can get on the plane after all, vaccinated or not. If you want to remove your mask, you need to be in the system. There will probably be an indicator on the reservation and boarding pass and the FA's handheld devices. This is already happening in all kinds of venues. I think UA is being smart and getting ready for the expiration of the current FAA/TSA rules in September. Or maybe even seek revisions to the rules earlier if everything goes well and it gives them a leg up on the competition for a couple months. There is more to this other than a raffle.

zombietooth May 24, 2021 1:52 pm

No Joy.

Didn't work for me. Calling tech support.

eng3 May 24, 2021 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 33275322)
Nice! If you win, it's as good as having an AAirPass. For 1 year, at least.

That was my thought. Except for me, the companion benefit would be wasted as I'm single and don't know one person that would travel with me that often.
If you were aloud to pick any companion or even provide a list, that would be a lot better.

Originally Posted by junglematt (Post 33275490)
I had the same idea. I would gladly burn the remainder of those 26 trips at the end of the year on trips to SIN from the east coast to pump up my lifetime miles ;)

Does it count towards lifetime miles? I was wondering about that. It says not valid for FF miles, I assumed that referred to RDM. But I assume it wont count for lifetime. Otherwise, you could use it to give you (and a companion) a nice half million mi boost. (EWR-SFO-SIN RT = 22Kmi. x26 = 573Kmi)

TomMM May 24, 2021 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 33275792)

What I can't tell is if this UA app is sufficient enough to serve that purpose. If the immigration officials at the destination are going to want to see physical records, then wouldn't the United GA want to see the same physical records?

Maybe the initial plan is to help with UA’s processes such as as check in etc. Kind of similar to uploading and verifying a passport before a trip.

eng3 May 24, 2021 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 33275827)
Maybe the initial plan is to help with UA’s processes such as as check in etc. Kind of similar to uploading and verifying a passport before a trip.

Its probably just to expedite OLCI.
They prob will still want to see it at the airport.

Like how you can upload your passport photo.

drewguy May 24, 2021 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33275123)
Not sure but appears UA is providing cash to pay the taxes

Additionally what you would report is the value of the flights you actually took. This has been discussed in earlier UA sweepstakes.

Unclear if there are some fare class inventory or truly any space available 5 days before travel.
And business / commercial travel is not allowed.

Doesn't it say at least 5 days? Looks like you could book 3 months out, when presumably there is plenty of availability on most flights in J/F.

Welltended3 May 24, 2021 2:45 pm

I uploaded ours via a computer. Will wait a bit to see if they show up in the apps, too.

wxguy May 24, 2021 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by junglematt (Post 33275490)

It's in the T&Cs. No FF program credit in any category.

Airline tickets are non-refundable/non-transferable and are not valid for frequent flyer miles, Premier credits, status upgrades, or segment credits.

WineCountryUA May 24, 2021 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 33275851)
Doesn't it say at least 5 days? Looks like you could book 3 months out, when presumably there is plenty of availability on most flights in J/F.

No intent to infer otherwise. I was just asking about the other extreme.