FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Vaccine status in app, "Your Shot to Fly" sweepstakes, Unlimited Free Flights for 1yr (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2040856-vaccine-status-app-your-shot-fly-sweepstakes-unlimited-free-flights-1yr.html)

n8-the-gr8 May 30, 2021 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 33290924)
For those who have uploaded. I just scanned the first page or two of this thread in the last. Is it a scan like updating your passport page. Do you physically upload the image of the card. I’m hearing issues about the iOS app as well. It doesn’t seem that it’s going to be any type of electronic vaccine passport correct?

I may just do the Mall in way of entering

If done via app it will open your camera and, similar to doing mobile check deposit, identifies the borders of your vaccine card and takes an image which is uploaded. This does not currently result in an electronic vaccine passport - United has not stated what this will be used for specifically other than the contest for now.

While there were a number of issues reported - many did not experience any problems (myself included) so plenty of folks had no problem with the iOS app.

WineCountryUA May 30, 2021 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 33290924)
.... Is it a scan like updating your passport page. Do you physically upload the image of the card....

On united.com, you can upload a pdf or jpeg. After a few problems on the initial day, things seem to be working fine with the app scan or united.com uploads. takes 30 seconds max, much faster than mailing an entry.

Mike Jacoubowsky Jun 4, 2021 10:48 am

Anybody know if there's a way to verify the photos uploaded to United? The app acted a bit strangely and I'm not sure if it submitted both sides. I've found no way to review what was sent.

For what it's worth, I think the concept is great, and would have been even-better had United created an "open standard" for other airlines to use as well. The last thing we want are a bunch of very different ways each airline is handling this. United could have taken a leadership position here and influenced international standards. So now I'm thinking darn, it's all for naught.

WineCountryUA Jun 4, 2021 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky (Post 33303364)
Anybody know if there's a way to verify the photos uploaded to United? The app acted a bit strangely and I'm not sure if it submitted both sides. I've found no way to review what was sent. ...

The only feedback is if you have a sweepstakes entry. There is presently no way to review what was received.

For what it's worth, I think the concept is great, and would have been even-better had United created an "open standard" for other airlines to use as well. The last thing we want are a bunch of very different ways each airline is handling this. United could have taken a leadership position here and influenced international standards. So now I'm thinking darn, it's all for naught.

There is no clear indication of how, if at all, this info will ever be used. Note UA has never claimed how it might be used. What UA is doing is gathering a large dataset of images. Due to competitive issues, I doubt any airline could take a lead. There have been multiple proposals already for "vaccine passports" / "covid test database" -- generally these things take years because there are some many stakeholders and the access to medical files (for validation) is problematic as it is generally highly restricted. IATA has made some noise as have some other international organizations and some commercial companies. Even various governments. All this different activity is not a good sign of a quick answer.

For the near-term, your will have to provide personally your information on arrival. There should be no assumption having downloaded this to UA will make any difference in how you travel.

HNLbasedFlyer Jun 4, 2021 11:04 am

Anybody know if there's a way to verify the photos uploaded to United?

It doesn't appear so. For now, all it does is enter you in the contest. The FAQ's seem to imply automated tools will be used in the future and UA authorized personnel will use the info for destination requirements. I'll presume that isn't ready yet, but when it is, I also presume they'd let you know later if the photo wasn't legible.

Flying Machine Jun 4, 2021 11:22 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33303418)
The only feedback is if you have a sweepstakes entry. There is presently no way to review what was received.

There is no clear indication of how, if at all, this info will ever be used. Note UA has never claimed how it might be used. What UA is doing is gathering a large dataset of images. Due to competitive issues, I doubt any airline could take a lead. There have been multiple proposals already for "vaccine passports" / "covid test database" -- generally these things take years because there are some many stakeholders and the access to medical files (for validation) is problematic as it is generally highly restricted. IATA has made some noise as have some other international organizations and some commercial companies. Even various governments. All this different activity is not a good sign of a quick answer.

For the near-term, your will have to provide personally your information on arrival. There should be no assumption having downloaded this to UA will make any difference in how you travel.

What is the EU doing with their green vaccine e card? I’m actually gonna mail in my application to participate in the sweepstakes this weekend, I don’t know I’m a little bit concerned with the uploading and your global entry possible deletion I know you can always re-key it in but I don’t know I just have some apprehension. Especially as they haven’t really disclosed how they’re going to be using this database. I have nothing to hide, just thought I’d wait to have something more official on the US government side to be adopted.I thought the CDC would be doing some thing, but I haven’t heard

emcampbe Jun 4, 2021 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33290957)
On united.com, you can upload a pdf or jpeg. After a few problems on the initial day, things seem to be working fine with the app scan or united.com uploads. takes 30 seconds max, much faster than mailing an entry.

I tried to upload as a photo via the iOS app a couple of nights ago. I got to the page where I had to type in info (name, date of each dose, etc.) and when I tried to submit everything, it erred out. Multiple times. Haven’t tried again yet.

update: just gave it a shot again using the iOS app. Used the same photo, same info, etc. and it seems to accept it now. Got the sweepstakes verification.

Flying Machine Jun 6, 2021 12:39 pm

Maybe I’ll have better odds this way!

Just completed my mail in sweepstakes application! Just have to pop it in the mail tomorrow. For some reason I just didn’t want to fiddle around with the app, and you never know maybe there’s a better odds with the mail and sweepstakes :-) Good luck to all!

WineCountryUA Jun 6, 2021 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 33307924)
... and you never know maybe there’s a better odds with the mail and sweepstakes ...

That would break a number of sweepstakes laws. Online or mail entries are to be treated equally unless stated otherwise (and that may not be allowed in some jurisdictions).

Sweepstakes regulations are complex / with some jurisdictional differences and one of the reasons this is USA residents only.

Flying Machine Jun 6, 2021 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33307938)
That would break a number of sweepstakes laws. Online or mail entries are to be treated equally unless stated otherwise (and that may not be allowed in some jurisdictions).

Sweepstakes regulations are complex / with some jurisdictional differences and one of the reasons this is USA residents only.

Never knew. I thought maybe they would pick some from the online entries and others from the mail in entries

WineCountryUA Jun 6, 2021 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 33308005)
Never knew. I thought maybe they would pick some from the online entries and others from the mail in entries

That is not the norm. Allowing mailed entries is a requirement of some jurisdictions but they all go into one pot. My guess is there will be a scanning process and your mailed entry will be become just another electronic entry.

TomMM Jun 6, 2021 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 33307924)
Just have to pop it in the mail tomorrow.

And hope it arrives by the cutoff date.

Flying Machine Jun 6, 2021 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 33308089)
And hope it arrives by the cutoff date.

It’s due on the 22nd of the month I think pony express (USPS) will get there by then!

emcampbe Jun 6, 2021 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 33308005)

its possible if in the T&Cs, they could have separate drawings, but suspect unless it’s specifically called out, it’s not.

The issue with mail is additionally going to be the time it takes to arrive, and then process for inclusion. USPS should be a bit better now than say, end of 2020, but personally, i have lost trust in their ability to efficiently deliver anything in a reasonable amount of time, and as always with the mail, there is the odd case it gets completely delayed/lost And then if that causes you to miss out on deadlines for first prize drawings (wasn’t the first one last week?). With the app (and online), you also get instant verification that you have entered (or that it didn’t work…I had that the first time I tried)…not sure if there is any verification with mail entries.

Flying Machine Jun 6, 2021 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 33308471)
its possible if in the T&Cs, they could have separate drawings, but suspect unless it’s specifically called out, it’s not.

The issue with mail is additionally going to be the time it takes to arrive, and then process for inclusion. USPS should be a bit better now than say, end of 2020, but personally, i have lost trust in their ability to efficiently deliver anything in a reasonable amount of time, and as always with the mail, there is the odd case it gets completely delayed/lost And then if that causes you to miss out on deadlines for first prize drawings (wasn’t the first one last week?). With the app (and online), you also get instant verification that you have entered (or that it didn’t work…I had that the first time I tried)…not sure if there is any verification with mail entries.

I’m really not stressing at all about mailing it in. I believe what you were thinking about what has past is actually July 1 ( see wiki and links there).

The deadline for them to receive it is the 22nd. If I drop it in the mail tomorrow from Los Angeles they’ll have it by the end of the week for sure probably sooner. Good luck to all!