FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Vaccine status in app, "Your Shot to Fly" sweepstakes, Unlimited Free Flights for 1yr (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2040856-vaccine-status-app-your-shot-fly-sweepstakes-unlimited-free-flights-1yr.html)

vanillabean May 24, 2021 5:49 pm

Uploaded. Can't wait for the one year of free flights. :D

bocastephen May 24, 2021 5:50 pm

So you win a year's worth of free travel, none of which counts for status or earns miles, after which your existing status (assuming you have any) will drop to 'general member' because of no paid flights for that year.

Dublin_rfk May 24, 2021 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 33276270)
So you win a year's worth of free travel, none of which counts for status or earns miles, after which your existing status (assuming you have any) will drop to 'general member' because of no paid flights for that year.

But I thought that the trip and the experience is what mattered!

STS-134 May 24, 2021 5:55 pm

But the $275k check portion of the prize can buy a hell of a lot of mileage runs. Easily enough to get to lifetime status after your 1 year of free flights on those 26 vouchers is up. Just make sure you don't blow all of the prize money on paid full fare premium cabin tickets, which would make UA love you but would probably not even get you 200k lifetime miles.

WineCountryUA May 24, 2021 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 33276263)
Oh I'm pretty sure that UA will follow up to make sure your records are legit if you win. And if you are found to have submitted a false record, I would guess that the penalty is that your prize gets revoked.

this is what UA states

Winner must complete, sign and return the Affidavit of Eligibility, Waiver of Liability and, except where prohibited by law, Publicity Release Forms within three business days of receipt of prize notification or prize may be forfeited (TN residents need not sign the publicity releases). A winner who entered via the mail-in entry may be required to execute an affidavit certifying that the winner did not receive the COVID-19 vaccination because they are unable to be vaccinated due to religious requirements or health reasons or that the winner has been vaccinated as of entry, but has privacy concerns about United storing participant’s vaccine card. Winner agrees to be subject to a personal background check.
But UA does not have access or seem to require access to your medical records. Or even actually require you getting vaccinated.

In exchange for easily $50K or much more of travel. And 98+% of MP are General members already and some elites have LT status. So, yes I will take it. Others can pass.

1KChinito May 24, 2021 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 33275719)
Didn't work for me. Calling tech support.

Try UA website.

STS-134 May 24, 2021 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33276307)
this is what UA states
But UA does not have access or seem to require access to your medical records. Or even actually require you getting vaccinated.

I am pretty sure that signing an HIPAA waiver form that allows the appropriate entity with your vaccination records to hand them over to UA would be part of the background check

porciuscato May 24, 2021 6:34 pm

Entered myself and family in the App and got the message that we are entered in the sweepstakes. I'm still trying to figure out where my Vaccination info is displayed in the app or on the web page. Is it hidden except to United employees?

WineCountryUA May 24, 2021 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 33276335)
I am pretty sure that signing an HIPAA waiver form that allows the appropriate entity with your vaccination records to hand them over to UA would be part of the background check

Why when UA does not require vaccination for entry?

Obviously UA wants to avoid the winner for being outed with a fraudulent vaccine card. The Affidavit of Eligibility is probably part of that. While I would understand the HIPAA waiver request, I'm not sure it is part of the plan as it is not mentioned in the T&Cs.

Originally Posted by porciuscato (Post 33276362)
Entered myself and family in the App and got the message that we are entered in the sweepstakes. I'm still trying to figure out where my Vaccination info is displayed in the app or on the web page. Is it hidden except to United employees?

As has been discussed a couple of times in the thread, not one is sure what UA plans to do with this information. I would count on your needing to provide this information at what every destination will accept it, which is rather few at the moment.

STS-134 May 24, 2021 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33276381)
Why when UA does not require vaccination for entry?

Obviously UA wants to avoid the winner for being outed with a fraudulent vaccine card. The Affidavit of Eligibility is probably part of that. While I would understand the HIPAA waiver request, I'm not sure it is part of the plan as it is not mentioned in the T&Cs.

It's not required to show proof to enter the contest. Proof is required if you win in order to claim the prize. Meaning, if you submitted fraudulent information, won the prize, and later got vaccinated, that is grounds for revocation of the prize.

From the terms:

Winner agrees to be subject to a personal background check...If the potential winner is not in compliance with these Official Rules; if prize notification or attempted notification is returned as undeliverable; if Sponsor does not receive timely response to prize notification; if potential winner refuses to participate in a background check, if Sponsor discovers something in the background check that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, determines is a disqualifying issue from Sponsor’s perspective; if potential winner does not provide required identification or documents by the deadlines set by Sponsor; and/or if potential winner declines prize offered, prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner may be chosen by Sponsor if time permits.

A fraudulent claim of having been vaccinated at the time of entry could easily be interpreted as a "disqualifying issue" and UA would be right in revoking the prize, even if the individual later did get vaccinated. And they do ask for your vaccination dose dates.

zombietooth May 24, 2021 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 33276415)
A fraudulent claim of having been vaccinated at the time of entry could easily be interpreted as a "disqualifying issue" and UA would be right in revoking the prize, even if the individual later did get vaccinated. And they do ask for your vaccination dose dates.

I have to get PCR tested nearly every week as a work requirement and was hoping that my vaccination records, completed over 2 months ago, would be accessible in a database that would preclude the requirement for such expensive, repetitive testing. No such luck. The official state database is not only not accessible to federal health officials, the CDC, or law enforcement entities, it also contains corrupt information. I tried to get official verification (other than the flimsy cardboard "vaccine passport") from the state for my employers and, not only is there no such functionality available in the state system, there is also no record in their database that I ever got my vaccinations, and the state is now requesting that I get vaccinated again!

In other words, unless something changes real soon, there is no way that a state could confirm or deny that someone had been vaccinated with any degree of certainty.

goalie May 24, 2021 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 33274868)
Submitted mine using the IOS app without issue.

Same with me

STS-134 May 24, 2021 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 33276450)
The official state database is not only not accessible to federal health officials, the CDC, or law enforcement entities,

Completely expected. HIPAA prohibits them from releasing this information to third parties unless you authorize it.

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 33276450)
it also contains corrupt information.

As far as that is concerned, it sounds like some people running your state database should be fired. Which state is this?

WineCountryUA May 24, 2021 7:48 pm

.... Proof is required if you win in order to claim the prize. ...

Nope, that is not explicitly stated

....Meaning, if you submitted fraudulent information, won the prize, and later got vaccinated, that is grounds for revocation of the prize. ...

Perhaps but again this is an extrapolated assumption this applies to the vax status

.... A fraudulent claim of having been vaccinated at the time of entry could easily be interpreted as a "disqualifying issue" and UA would be right in revoking the prize, even if the individual later did get vaccinated. ...

Yes, it could be but the T&Cs neglect to state a need for a HIPAA waiver -- a pretty big oversight

....And they do ask for your vaccination dose dates. ...

But you are not required to be vaccinated -- and you maintain the right not to provide information --- clearly stated in the T&Cs. That puts a hole in this line of thought.

I suspect the fraudulent comments are more in reference to multiple submissions or not being a US resident. Sweepstakes rules pretty much eliminate most restrictions / requirements on submitting except things like those (that need to be explicitly stated).

I personally thinnk UA should have required the HIPAA waiver but I suspect their lawyers said no

zombietooth May 24, 2021 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 33276482)
Completely expected. HIPAA prohibits them from releasing this information to third parties unless you authorize it.

As far as that is concerned, it sounds like some people running your state database should be fired. Which state is this?

I was trying to authorize access for my employer with a HIPAA waiver and they said that it wasn't possible

I raised quite a stink with my state bureaucracy, and they have my email address, so I won't identify them for fear of reprisal.

In retrospect, I really should've made a date-stamped video of me being vaccinated. It seems to work well against false rental car damage claims and I'd bet that the legal and HR honchos at my employer(s) would've gone for it.