Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sequence Numbers: What are they, how are they used & other questions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2021, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Sequence numbers are an indication of the order in which passengers have checked in for the flight
Checkin time / lower sequence number can be a tie break for CPU priority
Sequence numbers can appears on BPs - printed or mobile
If the GA agent needs to manually enter your BP (such as scanning problems) they may use the sequence number to quickly look up your BP.

Some times when checking in at T-24, you notice your sequence number is higher than you expected: potential reasons are
1) Those on earlier connecting flights that checked in earlier got check-in for the flight before you did.
2) If the flight number is used for an multiple flights in a day, just one set of sequences is used for a flight number each day.
3) A group -- tour, sports team, .... -- checked in earlier

Sequence number "--" could indicate an issue. You may need to uncheck-in and re-checkin.

Print Wikipost

Sequence Numbers: What are they, how are they used & other questions?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by GoPUBoilers
I think you're right...on a flight last weekend I was #312 on a 739, although that might be due to a different issue since that would imply over half the plane essentially checked in twice.
Was this later in the day? I think that all flights on a given day sharing a flight number use the same sequence list. Makes sense when "direct" flights weren't just a way to get more flight numbers into a system.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
Apollo didn't use sequence numbers.
Apollo actually had them in the programming code, they we're there but not used. Remember the old ACI numbers that sat just to the right of the names? I had a Pan Am coworker that referenced those as something from the early days of Apollo. But not used by Apollo in our time.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I meant to comment on this one a while back. I was flying XXX-ORD-MBS. Checked in at XXX about 6 hours before the ORD-MBS flight. On a 50-seat CRJ, I was sequence #53. Not sure how that happened. (The ORD-MBS was never even booked to 50, and went out with a half-dozen empty seats).

Figure that one out!
If it was using the same flight number as a previous flight, then it can easily happen, as they go by flight number, AFAIK, not segment. For example, if the same flight number goes LEX-ORD-MBS on the same day, then the LEX people can checkin first, and at 6 hours before your flight, very well could be over 50.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mainline 757 flight, check in at exactly T-24. Get seq # 221. Flight number originates at the airport I departed from. Me thinks there is something else to this Seq # than meets the eye.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:35 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by GoPUBoilers
I think you're right...on a flight last weekend I was #312 on a 739, although that might be due to a different issue since that would imply over half the plane essentially checked in twice.

312 wasn't my original sequence number...I was initially 182 but I tried to standby for an earlier flight and when they closed that flight, I was for some reason taken off my confirmed flight. So I was caught in some sort of momentary purgatory where I wasn't on either flight. When the GA added me back to the flight, seq went from 182 to 312.
The flight nuimber most likely had multiple legs. It isn't per leg where the sequence number is unique, but per flight number. A flight that goes AAA to BBB and another flight with same number from BBB to CCC will all share the same sequence. This is why you will get a swquence number far in excess of the capacity of a single segment.

emcampbe nailed it.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
Now that time of check-in is no longer a significant tie-breaker, it doesn't really matter anymore.
It may be more significant than you think. I was flying CLD-LAX-ORD and there was two drops of rain, which in SoCal is trouble. So I hustled to CLD and got an earlier CLD-LAX but kept my original LAX-ORD. I was #1 on the upgrade list with 1 seat, but there was an earlier LAX-ORD so I wanted to see where I'd wind up on the upgrade list on that one. I did a same-day change on the app, didn't like where I was on the list, so I switched back to the later flight. I got a new sequence # (like 260), and was now #5 on the upgrade list. So, I changed back to the earlier flight.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
i have sequence 75 on a 50 seat RJ?? How does that work?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by panjfj
i have sequence 75 on a 50 seat RJ?? How does that work?
Read post 27.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by Baze
Mainline 757 flight, check in at exactly T-24. Get seq # 221. Flight number originates at the airport I departed from. Me thinks there is something else to this Seq # than meets the eye.
Was it the first flight of that day anywhere with that flight number? People that are connecting to your flight could have checked in earlier, along with automatic check-ins for those where it is their return flight.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GregMM
Was it the first flight of that day anywhere with that flight number? People that are connecting to your flight could have checked in earlier, along with automatic check-ins for those where it is their return flight.
SJC to DEN. I doubt there was a complete 757 load of people connecting and yes, first flight of the day with that flight number, at least that I could find. That flight number continued on after Den but not before.

Edit to correct: My apologies, was looking at the wrong BP the SJC-DEN my wife and I were 17 and 18. It was our DEN-LAX 4 days later was #221 and yes, that was a continuing flight number so it makes sense now. Sorry about that everyone.

Last edited by Baze; Jul 4, 2013 at 11:28 am Reason: Corrected information
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

SJC to DEN. I doubt there was a complete 757 load of people connecting and yes, first flight of the day with that flight number, at least that I could find. That flight number continued on after Den but not before.
What date?

The SEQ number really is just the check-in sequence number and is one of a few ways passengers are identified on a flight.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
What date?

The SEQ number really is just the check-in sequence number and is one of a few ways passengers are identified on a flight.
See my correction just above you post.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

See my correction just above you post.
No worries...glad we got to the explanation eventually.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have seen these numbers on many airlines' boarding passes. I guess it is an easy way for the agents to type in the passenger's number, especially in the pre-barcode / ATB days.

I definitely have gotten and wondered about boarding passes on UA that is greater than number of seats.

Last edited by username; Jul 5, 2013 at 7:52 am
Old Jul 4, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
during the major IT breakdown last year, i remembered that they were using the sequence numbers to board people. I guess the sequence number is kind of a unique identifier vs using seat numbers or names where people could swap seats or people with same last names and first initial? Just more convenient way to have a unique id on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.