Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA: Use Home Testing Kit for U.S. Return from International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2021, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United and Abbott Partner to Make Return to U.S. "Worry Free" for International Travelers with Home-Testing Kits

Newly issued guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now accepts rapid, self-administered testing option that meet its criteria
United customers can depart the U.S. with the Abbott BinaxNOW™ Home Test in their carry-on bag and administer the test via the eMed digital health platform to re-enter the U.S.

CHICAGO and ABBOTT PARK, Ill., May 12, 2021
-- United and Abbott today announced a first-of-its-kind collaboration to use Abbott's BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Home Test and Abbott's NAVICA app to help make the international travel experience more seamless. Recently updated CDC guidelines permit travelers to self-administer a rapid antigen test under the real-time supervision of a telehealth service and use the verified negative test result to board an international flight to the U.S. if they test negative.

"We appreciate the private sector proactively helping travelers have access to easy, reliable COVID-19 test options," said CDC Director Rochelle P. Walensky, MD, MPH. "Comprehensive testing that is easy, rapid, accurate and trusted is a fundamental strategy for preventing the spread of COVID-19."

United customers can depart the United States with the BinaxNOW Home Test in their carry-on bag and administer the test via the eMed digital health platform while overseas, avoiding the need to find a testing center abroad. United is the only airline to offer end-to-end integration between a digital platform and a testing app with the integration between the United Travel Ready Center platform and Abbott's NAVICA app which provides a seamless passenger experience when departing and re-entering the United States. Since the Travel-Ready Center launched in January, United customers have been able to easily access testing or vaccine requirements needed for travel destinations, upload completed test results and vaccine records, as well as have them verified, all within the United app.

"We want to give our customers greater peace of mind that when they travel internationally, they'll be able to return to the U.S quickly and safely," said Toby Enqvist, chief customer officer at United. "The Abbott BinaxNOW Home Test meets CDC requirements and, along with our partners at Abbott, United is doubling down on our commitment to make international travel as safe and convenient as possible by offering an easy testing option when customers are ready to return to the United States."

The BinaxNOW Home Test kit is lightweight, about the size of a day planner and fits easily into a passenger's carry-on luggage, briefcase or purse. It is recommended that passengers travel with more than one BinaxNOW test in their possession in the event of an inconclusive test result.

"The BinaxNOW COVID-19 rapid test is the most studied and widely used rapid test in the United States today and with our partner United, we're making testing even more broadly available as the country returns to international business and leisure travel," said Andrea F. Wainer, executive vice president of Abbott's rapid and molecular diagnostics business. "The CDC's recent guidance also reinforces the importance of our NAVICA app, because airlines and other safety-conscious industries, such as workplaces and higher education, will need digital solutions that can be used to quickly and easily validate and verify test results."

The BinaxNOW COVID-19 rapid test can help restore a sense of normalcy to everyday life by reuniting family members and loved ones, providing additional confidence while traveling, and making it easier to do international business. Authorized since August 2020, more than 200 million BinaxNOW tests have been distributed throughout the United States, where they've been used by K-12 schools, universities, nursing homes, and underserved communities and serve as a powerful tool to help prevent the virus from spreading.

For a detailed description of the Abbott home-testing process, visit united.emed.com. To view video and photos of the process click here.

The Abbott BinaxNOW™ Home Test meets the the CDC's guidance due to the unique digital proctor experience through eMed, which provides observed sample collection, testing and digitally verified test results. Abbott's recently authorized BinaxNOW™ Self Test for over-the-counter purchase is not eligible for travel purposes.
The BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test is a lateral flow immunoassay intended for the qualitative detection of nucleocapsid protein antigen from SARS-CoV-2. This test is authorized for prescription home use with self-collected observed direct anterior nasal (nares) swab samples from individuals aged 15 years or older who are suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider within the first seven days of symptom onset or adult collected nasal swab samples from individuals aged four years or older who are suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider within the first seven days of symptom onset.

The BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test is to be performed only with the supervision of a telehealth proctor.

Related thread: Be Careful! EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica MELTDOWN. Impossible to get test done.
Print Wikipost

UA: Use Home Testing Kit for U.S. Return from International

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by sbglencoe
... During one of the tests, the internet connection was disrupted after we opened the sealed testing packages inside the box. The proctor would not allow us to use that test. Was happy that I had brought extra testing kits along.
I think that's one of the reasons they ask you to bring more than one test.
Did they already scan the barcode before the call was interrupted? Did they ask to see that the test was unopened? Did you volunteer this information? Everytime I did the test, the first thing they asked me to do was open everything and this could easily have been done out of view. The first time they really saw anything was scanning the barcode. However this might be dependent on the proctor. They do ask the position the camera so they can see everything, but I think its pretty easy to open the box and pouch so they can't tell the pouch is open. Obviously not ideal, but worth a try to save $50
Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by eng3
Did they already scan the barcode before the call was interrupted? Did they ask to see that the test was unopened? Did you volunteer this information? Everytime I did the test, the first thing they asked me to do was open everything and this could easily have been done out of view. The first time they really saw anything was scanning the barcode. However this might be dependent on the proctor. They do ask the position the camera so they can see everything, but I think its pretty easy to open the box and pouch so they can't tell the pouch is open. Obviously not ideal, but worth a try to save $50
I knew that I was going to be bringing home extra test kits and wasn’t worried about having an extra binaxx test kit that I could use for home testing (unproctored), so I didn’t pay attention to such details.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Originally Posted by eng3
We recently returned from Mexico and one of the tests (BINAX brand) had no fluid in the little dropper. It was completely dry. I was thankful we each packed a second test or we would have been without a planned in hotel test to return to the US. I was aggravated because you would think for the price of these tests they would not have issues.
cheltzel likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 9:07 am

I just received a 6-pack order from eMed...all tests expire 11/21/22 (mfg on 12/11/21) which is great as we travel in April. Was worried about getting February expiration dates but was also worried about Biden buying up all the tests.

Ordered on 1/3 and received the next day which was also great but....

The website had stated that, due to high demand, shipments could be delayed a week. So, I expected receipt next week. The order also clearly stated that "We’ll send a confirmation once your item has shipped". Well, neither of those things happened. FedEx dropped the box on my back porch last night and because there was no "confirmation" of shipment, I wasn't expecting a delivery. The tests sat in 28-degree weather for 12 hours. Not happy about that.

Have been in contact with eMed about replacing the tests as 28 degrees is well outside the recommended storage range.
N1120A likes this.

Last edited by ReachELS; Jan 5, 2022 at 11:46 am
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by ReachELS
I just received a 6-pack order from eMed...all tests expire 11/21/22 (mfg on 12/11/21) which is great as we travel in April. Was worried about getting February expiration dates but was also worried about Biden buying up all the tests.

The website had stated that, due to high demand, shipments could be delayed a week. So, I expected receipt next week. The order also clearly stated that "We’ll send a confirmation once your item has shipped". Well, neither of those things happened. FedEx dropped the box on my back porch last night and because there was no "confirmation" of shipment, I wasn't expecting a delivery. The tests sat in 28-degree weather for 12 hours. Not happy about that.

Have been in contact with eMed about replacing the tests as 28 degrees is well outside the recommended storage range.
I did the same, delivered yesterday, but did receive an email from emed with the fedex tracking number. Fortunately no dramatic temperature exposure here. Hope you don't get much hassle. Will update when I have a chance to check expiration dates. Last month, on order site, they had mentioned Feb 2022 expiry, but that was gone when I ordered the other day, so figured would have more time now.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... FedEx dropped the box on my back porch last night and because there was no "confirmation" of shipment, I wasn't expecting a delivery. The tests sat in 28-degree weather for 12 hours. Not happy about that. ....
You can sign up with FedEx (and UPS, ...) for auto delivery notification of any delivery to your address. Just sign up once -- for free.
Dyce likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:07 pm

This just keeps getting better.

I just received another 6-pack delivery . Same 11/21/22 expiration. Cannot possibly be "replacements" for the ones delivered last night as I just contacted them this morning...and we are very rural. We don't get anything "same day" out here.

The amusing thing is that all 6 are missing the box sleeves. It appears to me the sleeves are not kit-specific...generic packaging. Must I have the sleeves to do a proctored test?
N1120A likes this.

Last edited by ReachELS; Jan 5, 2022 at 1:15 pm
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
This just keeps getting better.

I just received another 6-pack delivery . Same 11/21/22 expiration. Cannot possibly be "replacements" for the ones delivered last night as I just contacted them this morning...and we are very rural. We don't get anything "same day" out here.

The amusing thing is that all 6 are missing the box sleeves. It appears to me the sleeves are not kit-specific...generic packaging. Must I have the sleeves to do a proctored test?
The new proctored test kits have a big red stripe that says "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO DO SO" on the box. The bx sleeve is no more.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The new proctored test kits have a big red stripe that says "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO DO SO" on the box. The bx sleeve is no more.
OMG - you are right. Not sure how I missed that.

Funny, the 6-pack mfg'd on 12/11/21 has sleeves and no "big red stripe". Those mfg'd 12/28/21 have no sleeves and the "big red stripe". Kind of narrows down when they changed the packaging, huh? All expire 11/21/22 and both shipped 1/3/22 so the 2nd shipment is a mistake, not a replacement.

I could conceivably have 18 tests by the end of the week if they replace the ones that spent the night on the porch.

And to WineCountryUA...I already have an online account with both UPS and FedEx. eMed still should have notified me directly.

Last edited by ReachELS; Jan 5, 2022 at 2:24 pm
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

And to WineCountryUA...I already have an online account with both UPS and FedEx. eMed still should have notified me directly.
If you did not get the FedEx delivery notification then the driver messed up and neither did eMed receive the delivery notification from FedEx tell you
Old Jan 5, 2022, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you did not get the FedEx delivery notification then the driver messed up and neither did eMed receive the delivery notification from FedEx to tell you
That actually makes sense...
Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:20 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond

I think I read the BinaxNOW storage temp range is 2C to 30C. 2C (35F) could be very difficult to stay above in winter, in the northern states, for ground shipments. It is currently -16C (3F) in Denver and any van or trailer left outside overnight or even traveling through the state would likely cold soak below their min temp of 2C. Even for air transport, it’s a bit troubling. How many times have you seen air cargo containers sitting on the tarmac, exposed to the elements? The trouble is, you’ll never know the temperature it was exposed to or any damage, if any, it caused.

I am glad to see that eMed now has kits with a later expiry date. I used the two I had left with Feb expiry over Christmas for unsupervised testing.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 3:21 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by ll22949
We recently returned from Mexico and one of the tests (BINAX brand) had no fluid in the little dropper. It was completely dry. I was thankful we each packed a second test or we would have been without a planned in hotel test to return to the US. I was aggravated because you would think for the price of these tests they would not have issues.
While that's bad QC, they are good about processing replacements.

Btw, antigen tests cost 500 pesos in airports in Mexico. Probably less in pharmacies in town.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 7:19 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
All the tests I ordered and used last year were in sealed boxes with the DO NOT OPEN writing on the front. is the previous poster (rural) ordering the right tests?
I just ordered another set of six last week, received the approval notification (need licensed sign off, which I think is pretty much a formality) and they were delivered within a couple of days by Fed Ex.
While it has not happened to me personally, once of my colleagues also experienced the empty solution bottle scenario like the above poster. I always carry additional tests as back up.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by DEN
I am glad to see that eMed now has kits with a later expiry date. I used the two I had left with Feb expiry over Christmas for unsupervised testing.
I did the same with tests that were expiring early February. My latest batch of test kits (ordered last weekend) also expire Nov-21, 2022

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.