Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA: Use Home Testing Kit for U.S. Return from International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2021, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United and Abbott Partner to Make Return to U.S. "Worry Free" for International Travelers with Home-Testing Kits

Newly issued guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now accepts rapid, self-administered testing option that meet its criteria
United customers can depart the U.S. with the Abbott BinaxNOW™ Home Test in their carry-on bag and administer the test via the eMed digital health platform to re-enter the U.S.

CHICAGO and ABBOTT PARK, Ill., May 12, 2021
-- United and Abbott today announced a first-of-its-kind collaboration to use Abbott's BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Home Test and Abbott's NAVICA app to help make the international travel experience more seamless. Recently updated CDC guidelines permit travelers to self-administer a rapid antigen test under the real-time supervision of a telehealth service and use the verified negative test result to board an international flight to the U.S. if they test negative.

"We appreciate the private sector proactively helping travelers have access to easy, reliable COVID-19 test options," said CDC Director Rochelle P. Walensky, MD, MPH. "Comprehensive testing that is easy, rapid, accurate and trusted is a fundamental strategy for preventing the spread of COVID-19."

United customers can depart the United States with the BinaxNOW Home Test in their carry-on bag and administer the test via the eMed digital health platform while overseas, avoiding the need to find a testing center abroad. United is the only airline to offer end-to-end integration between a digital platform and a testing app with the integration between the United Travel Ready Center platform and Abbott's NAVICA app which provides a seamless passenger experience when departing and re-entering the United States. Since the Travel-Ready Center launched in January, United customers have been able to easily access testing or vaccine requirements needed for travel destinations, upload completed test results and vaccine records, as well as have them verified, all within the United app.

"We want to give our customers greater peace of mind that when they travel internationally, they'll be able to return to the U.S quickly and safely," said Toby Enqvist, chief customer officer at United. "The Abbott BinaxNOW Home Test meets CDC requirements and, along with our partners at Abbott, United is doubling down on our commitment to make international travel as safe and convenient as possible by offering an easy testing option when customers are ready to return to the United States."

The BinaxNOW Home Test kit is lightweight, about the size of a day planner and fits easily into a passenger's carry-on luggage, briefcase or purse. It is recommended that passengers travel with more than one BinaxNOW test in their possession in the event of an inconclusive test result.

"The BinaxNOW COVID-19 rapid test is the most studied and widely used rapid test in the United States today and with our partner United, we're making testing even more broadly available as the country returns to international business and leisure travel," said Andrea F. Wainer, executive vice president of Abbott's rapid and molecular diagnostics business. "The CDC's recent guidance also reinforces the importance of our NAVICA app, because airlines and other safety-conscious industries, such as workplaces and higher education, will need digital solutions that can be used to quickly and easily validate and verify test results."

The BinaxNOW COVID-19 rapid test can help restore a sense of normalcy to everyday life by reuniting family members and loved ones, providing additional confidence while traveling, and making it easier to do international business. Authorized since August 2020, more than 200 million BinaxNOW tests have been distributed throughout the United States, where they've been used by K-12 schools, universities, nursing homes, and underserved communities and serve as a powerful tool to help prevent the virus from spreading.

For a detailed description of the Abbott home-testing process, visit united.emed.com. To view video and photos of the process click here.

The Abbott BinaxNOW™ Home Test meets the the CDC's guidance due to the unique digital proctor experience through eMed, which provides observed sample collection, testing and digitally verified test results. Abbott's recently authorized BinaxNOW™ Self Test for over-the-counter purchase is not eligible for travel purposes.
The BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test is a lateral flow immunoassay intended for the qualitative detection of nucleocapsid protein antigen from SARS-CoV-2. This test is authorized for prescription home use with self-collected observed direct anterior nasal (nares) swab samples from individuals aged 15 years or older who are suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider within the first seven days of symptom onset or adult collected nasal swab samples from individuals aged four years or older who are suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider within the first seven days of symptom onset.

The BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test is to be performed only with the supervision of a telehealth proctor.

Related thread: Be Careful! EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica MELTDOWN. Impossible to get test done.
Print Wikipost

UA: Use Home Testing Kit for U.S. Return from International

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by milepig
All very true and a good reminder of relative value!! For us this is already a fallback since we’re coming off a cruise ship. If they test us the night before disembarkation we’ll be four days out from our flight but if we persuade them to test the next morning we’ll be three days out. Small ship, top level customers, the odds are actually high that they’ll do it and it not we’ll have 3 days to find a local tester and I know our small hotel where we’re known will help. This is all in Lisbon. I may still just buy the 6 pack for$150. Thanks for centering me.
I went ahead and ordered from emed. I liked the part about "this is a prescription and must be approved..." that took like 2 seconds! I felt like I'd just bought spurious meds off the internet (not that I'd know anything about that).

The instructions say "DO NOT OPEN THE BOX" I assume they mean the individual test boxes and not the shipping package?

Last edited by milepig; Oct 5, 2021 at 10:06 am
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
thanks. So I’m supposed to pay $70 more or buy a three pack for $100 since they can manufacture kits properly? That puts me right into the cost of airport testing. Still sounds like a troubled company. How often to they fail?
We've used more than 10 of them and have never had a failure. But there is a non-zer chance of failure of some kind. So, you should at least have a backup plan (not necessarily a backup one of these tests).

This applies to any test. For example, we were supposed to go for a 1hr results PCR test this AM. We had appointments all set up on Friday. We go there and were told that the place no longer offers that service. So, we had to find an alternative that will allow us to travel tomorrow.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I went ahead and ordered from emed. I liked the part about "this is a prescription and must be approved..." that took like 2 seconds! I felt like I'd just bought spurious meds off the internet (not that I'd know anything about that).

The instructions say "DO NOT OPEN THE BOX" I assume they mean the individual test boxes and not the shipping package?
Correct, each individual test comes with a sleeve warning you not to open the box (the sleeve itself isn't actually attached -- the tamper seal on the actual box is what the proctors look for)

On our most recent trip my wife and I each carried one in our carry on bag and checked bag and it was pretty unobtrusive.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
This might have been asked or answered, but how long does it take to get the kits? I am traveling in two weeks, but just heard about this test option.

Also, I found this self test kit (https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/bi...414527-product) on Walgreens.Com. Is this the same product as available on emed.com?

Last edited by naumank; Nov 8, 2021 at 1:53 am
Old Nov 8, 2021, 4:28 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by naumank
This might have been asked or answered, but how long does it take to get the kits? I am traveling in two weeks, but just heard about this test option.

Also, I found this self test kit (https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/bi...414527-product) on Walgreens.Com. Is this the same product as available on emed.com?
I've usually had mine within 2-3 days of ordering, and no that one won't work, you need one that allows you to use the app with it which I don't believe you can get at a store.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:00 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum

eMed promises to ship them overnight, which has always been the case for me (I have ordered 4 times). If you order by 6 pm EST, you are supposed to get them the next day. No shipping over the weekend.

The Walgreens link was for a self-test that is not approved for travel. In the stores at certain locations in NY, NJ, and CA you may also be able to purchase the home test. I know of one person who managed to find one at a Walgreens near Newark Airport in NJ.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:50 am

Just ordered the eMed 2 Fridays ago and received them the following Tuesday via overnight (they shipped on Monday). It's quite fast.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Does anyone have an update on the expiration of these? I found some 2nd hand info via web search about them being extended to 12 months, so some kits are now good 3 months past the expiration on the sticker, but have no idea which ones qualify. Seems pretty convoluted.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by geckoflyer
Just ordered the eMed 2 Fridays ago and received them the following Tuesday via overnight (they shipped on Monday). It's quite fast.
Great! Our travel group will have 4 people. Can I order just one set (6 kits)? (Or should I order 2 packages - 12 test kits - just to be safe?) Does everyone need to have their own account on emed.com?

One more question: on emed's ordering page, it asks me to enter up to 3 names. Does it matter which names I enter at this stage?

Last edited by naumank; Nov 8, 2021 at 10:37 am
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA MM etc
emed.com now contains the note "The test kits you are about to purchase from eMed have been approved for use by the FDA at least through February 1, 2022, after which they will expire." This is crippling news for all of us who won't be returning to the US before Feb 1. Anyone have any information beyond what is on the emed site? Or is there another source of proctored antigen tests that have a later expiration date?

Last edited by brhacker; Nov 8, 2021 at 1:05 pm
Old Nov 8, 2021, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Great! Our travel group will have 4 people. Can I order just one set (6 kits)? (Or should I order 2 packages - 12 test kits - just to be safe?) Does everyone need to have their own account on emed.com?

One more question: on emed's ordering page, it asks me to enter up to 3 names. Does it matter which names I enter at this stage?
Just order one set of six kits for the group. The names added to the order do not matter at all. Each person needs his/her own emed account before testing.
During test, it is best to have one person tested first and other watching to avoid any mistake. The video on emed site helps, too.
Good luck.
naumank likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Just order one set of six kits for the group. The names added to the order do not matter at all. Each person needs his/her own emed account before testing.
During test, it is best to have one person tested first and other watching to avoid any mistake. The video on emed site helps, too.
Good luck.
Also worth noting that navica app has to be downloaded in the U.S., from a U.S.-registered Apple account (don't know about Android). Colleague here has his app-store registered in UK so couldn't load it. Point is, load, populate, and test your apps BEFORE you leave the States.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Also worth noting that navica app has to be downloaded in the U.S., from a U.S.-registered Apple account (don't know about Android). Colleague here has his app-store registered in UK so couldn't load it. Point is, load, populate, and test your apps BEFORE you leave the States.
while NAVICA app needs to be downloaded in US… I wonder if you can create a NAVICA account overseas (or if not, via VPN)… and just login to eMed and do the test? The last time I did it I didn’t even use the app. And the results were emailed anyways.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
while NAVICA app needs to be downloaded in US… I wonder if you can create a NAVICA account overseas (or if not, via VPN)… and just login to eMed and do the test? The last time I did it I didn’t even use the app. And the results were emailed anyways.
I'd be nervous about experimenting, but it's an interesting question. I've done a dozen eMed tests since June (over my family), two were duds but we had everything downloaded and populated before we left the States. As Ripley would say, "it's the only way to be sure."

Jamie
Old Nov 11, 2021, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by myperks
Indeed this is possible. ne doesn't need the app and one does not have to be in the US to create an account. Simply go here and create an account via the web site. The hardest part of the process is finding the web site's sign-up link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.