Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What existing elite benefit do you value most?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What existing elite benefit do you value most?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by mfirst
ok, I am just this will generate some interesting replies.... but I enjoy all the "little things" that go on in the background that make the entire experience much better.....
I agree completely. As a 1K I have priority check-in, free checked bags, early boarding, better seat and free food item+adult beverage in domestic Y, upgrade potential to domestic F / intl C, better access to award tickets (and I use it to Hawaii), 1KVoice to resolve any issues and quick access to a reservations agent. That together with TSAPre and lounge access makes my travel experience much better overall and does build loyalty to UA. As you correctly point out, it is really the whole set of benefits.taken together rather than any one in particular is what keeps me on UA.
Old May 3, 2021, 12:32 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I'm probably an anomaly, but I use very few of my elite benefits these days...

1) I mostly pay for F. I hate sweating upgrades, and despite having 2 doses of Pfizer coursing through my veins, I simply do not want to sit any closer to another non-relative than I have to (I'll book a E170/175 or CRJ550/700 over a mainline plane right now just to have the single seat in F). For my trips, it's mostly $150-$250 more roundtrip. A few times recently as PZ has been available, I've thrown my (otherwise unused) PlusPoints at even short hops. But even that, it's more of a personal space issue than a virus issue at this point--I'm just no longer comfortable being even remotely close to a stranger...So I do what I can to mitigate it.

2) None of my flights have had meals (too short). So there's no 1K benefit realized there. Haven't been 'recognized' yet as a 1K (see other thread).

3) My United Club membership is via the credit card, so the 1K discount doesn't apply there.

4) Haven't checked a bag since my last family vacation in Dec '19. So no benefit used there.

5) Always check in via the app, haven't been to a land side 'counter' in a year + to enjoy any kind of 1K check-in.

6) My home airport is down to 1X daily to ORD. So SDC isn't a big deal right now.

7) They took away the 1K advantage of close-in bookings (waiving the fee which now doesn't exist) and I find it a shame that we now have to pay a premium to book within, what is it, 21 days? (I don't even know, TBH, I'm usually booking awards long before).

8) Even the 1KVoice e-mail. I couldn't get a straight answer recently, was so frustrated I took a shot and e-mailed Scott dot Kerby, and my issue was resolved in a matter of hours.

9) I also book mostly premium cabins for award travel. And if special inventory exists for 1Ks, I've never seen it.

10) Knock on wood, not one IRROPS experience since the pandemic began, but I feel like the United Club would take good care of me anyway, 1K or not.

...That being said, I like to board early. I hate waiting in lines--lines to board, lines in the jetway, lines just about anywhere. Of my maybe 14-16 flight since the pandemic began, I've boarded no further down the list than 3rd--I was commenting to a coworker recently how I'm yet to see a GS flyer (at least pre-boarding) and most of the times there's maybe 3-4 other 1Ks that pre-board as well.

I also value the 11X miles per dollar as a 1K, and I seriously love the Clear membership. It easily saved me a half-hour at EWR recently.

So I too would say I like 'the little things', at least right now.
Old May 3, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
As a gold, I most appreciate being able to choose E+ at booking--especially exit rows for the extra leg room--plus free checked bags.

Last edited by linsj; May 4, 2021 at 7:25 am
Old May 3, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
During normal times they will be Star Alliance gold status and lounge access. Asia will likely remain closed most of the year. With the EU potentially opening up, I might be able to enjoy these benefits again the second half of the year.
Old May 3, 2021, 2:32 pm

I've been Silver for many, many years, with a couple years of Gold interspersed, and Platinum this year. My most valuable benefit has been the upgrades to E+. I was worried when that went from confirmed at booking to only available at checkin for Silvers, but I've never had a problem getting a seat at checkin.

The second is, honestly, the intangible benefit (when you're a Gold or higher), of being treated like a human being and not cattle when you need to interact with a person. The few years I was a Gold (never continuously), I could see a huge difference in the way that anyone from telephone agents, counter staff, and gate staff would treat you, generally going the extra mile on things like IRROPS, finding a new routing when you missed a connection, or maybe even checking in a bag when you missed the deadline by a few minutes,. Service at Silver and below (actually, I haven't been below Silver in quite a while) is at best perfunctory, at worst openly hostile, like you're bothering them with even the most trivial requests. Service at Gold and above, so far, seems like actual appreciation of me as a customer, even if it's just answering a simple question. That makes a huge difference when your schedule has been blown to pieces and you're stressed out just trying to get back home.
Old May 3, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I also value the 11X miles per dollar as a 1K, and I seriously love the Clear membership. It easily saved me a half-hour at EWR recently.
Agreed this is the best benefit. Makes it hard to justify flying other carriers. I give A LOT of excellent birthday/anniversary gifts as a result!
Old May 3, 2021, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by trmbn65
Agreed this is the best benefit. Makes it hard to justify flying other carriers. I give A LOT of excellent birthday/anniversary gifts as a result!
All three US legacies award 11x miles for its top published level tier (1K, Diamond, EXP)

1K and Diamond would both get free CLEAR membership during the duration of the active tier level.
Old May 3, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.

1) I mostly pay for F. I hate sweating upgrades, and despite having 2 doses of Pfizer coursing through my veins, I simply do not want to sit any closer to another non-relative than I have to (I'll book a E170/175 or CRJ550/700 over a mainline plane right now just to have the single seat in F). For my trips, it's mostly $150-$250 more roundtrip. A few times recently as PZ has been available, I've thrown my (otherwise unused) PlusPoints at even short hops. But even that, it's more of a personal space issue than a virus issue at this point--I'm just no longer comfortable being even remotely close to a stranger...So I do what I can to mitigate it.

2) None of my flights have had meals (too short). So there's no 1K benefit realized there. Haven't been 'recognized' yet as a 1K (see other thread).

3) My United Club membership is via the credit card, so the 1K discount doesn't apply there.

4) Haven't checked a bag since my last family vacation in Dec '19. So no benefit used there.

5) Always check in via the app, haven't been to a land side 'counter' in a year + to enjoy any kind of 1K check-in.

6) My home airport is down to 1X daily to ORD. So SDC isn't a big deal right now.

7) They took away the 1K advantage of close-in bookings (waiving the fee which now doesn't exist) and I find it a shame that we now have to pay a premium to book within, what is it, 21 days? (I don't even know, TBH, I'm usually booking awards long before).

8) Even the 1KVoice e-mail. I couldn't get a straight answer recently, was so frustrated I took a shot and e-mailed Scott dot Kerby, and my issue was resolved in a matter of hours.

9) I also book mostly premium cabins for award travel. And if special inventory exists for 1Ks, I've never seen it.

10) Knock on wood, not one IRROPS experience since the pandemic began, but I feel like the United Club would take good care of me anyway, 1K or not.

...That being said, I like to board early. I hate waiting in lines--lines to board, lines in the jetway, lines just about anywhere. Of my maybe 14-16 flight since the pandemic began, I've boarded no further down the list than 3rd--I was commenting to a coworker recently how I'm yet to see a GS flyer (at least pre-boarding) and most of the times there's maybe 3-4 other 1Ks that pre-board as well.

So I too would say I like 'the little things', at least right now.
You said that you mostly pay for F-that is just like me, and for the same reason. I try to use PlusPoints at every booking but have never found any UG inventory. It's also rare to find F and J award seats, so much so that I now have over 2.5 million miles devaluing in my account. Using those miles for coach flights is of no interest to me. I'd love to burn some miles without purchasing overpriced (x3) merch, so I wonder, how are you using all of those miles?

Last edited by zombietooth; May 3, 2021 at 4:01 pm
Old May 3, 2021, 4:09 pm

New to Gold since late 2019. I consider E+ my favorite/most valuable benefit.

That said, I usually buy FC, but I like knowing E+ is pretty much guaranteed when I don't. I really like complimentary FC upgrades and got to enjoy several in the early Covid months; I don't expect to get those ever again; that would be my favorite benefit if I didn't know I was eternally destined to be #39 on the upgrade list. I enjoyed my visit to the Star Alliance Lounge at LAX and had hoped to go back there and to others (covid!). I'm not sure what benefit comes with being Marriott Gold since I don't think there've been any perks during Covid. It does seem like many of the employees I've spoken to at the check-in counter and UC have been much friendlier now that I'm gold. I don't care about luggage or preboarding. I get those from my credit card or ticket, and I like to board last anyway.
Old May 3, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
Booking and Canceling Awards Close In

I love PP upgrades, but definitely my favorite 1K benefit is the ability to book and/or cancel award travel close in with no fee. I've been 1K for the past 21 years and am lifetime Platinum, but next year I won't re-qualify for 1K. Will really miss being able to book several tickets and then go back and cancel all that I don't need right up to departure time.
Old May 3, 2021, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will say GPUs/pluspoints in a normal year. Hopefully we are getting there soon.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 3, 2021 at 7:11 pm Reason: split post
Old May 3, 2021, 7:47 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth
...so I wonder, how are you using all of those miles?
My wife’s family is in a small city served by UA. We’re in a small city served by UA. Saver awards in Y are much better than the ~$500-$700 fares (pre-COVID). It’s actually a great use of miles.

I also seem to be able to find reasonable (under the new dynamic awards) F space to Central America, Caribbean, and until 2 years ago, Hawaii. I take my wife and 2 young kids places like that every year (under normal circumstances).
SPN Lifer and zombietooth like this.
Old May 3, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
My wife’s family is in a small city served by UA. We’re in a small city served by UA. Saver awards in Y are much better than the ~$500-$700 fares (pre-COVID). It’s actually a great use of miles.

I also seem to be able to find reasonable (under the new dynamic awards) F space to Central America, Caribbean, and until 2 years ago, Hawaii. I take my wife and 2 young kids places like that every year (under normal circumstances).
Unfortunately, most of my extended family has been too terrified to travel, even though their good ole Uncle Zombie and wife have logged over 100K miles each on UA since the pandemic began and haven't gotten sick (we are vaccinated now). I would love to give them some free trips somewhere, but there has just been no interest. Honestly, it's a terrible thing for these young kids (20-30 years old), my nieces and nephews, to be so scared of traveling because there were a lot of coach awards available up until recently, and they could've enjoyed some free travel on my dime (I also have tons of hotel points).
Old May 3, 2021, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
How can I decide between pre-boarding, three checked bags, higher weight limit, almost automatic up grades, no change fees? I can’t choose anyone of these as most valuable. All of them together are what make air travel if not fun more enjoyable.
Old May 3, 2021, 9:48 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Whyme
New to Gold since late 2019. I consider E+ my favorite/most valuable benefit.
Definitely a close second for me (behind 120% redeemable mileage boost over a regular member). I'm only 5'9" but the extra room does make a difference, especially on transatlantic flights. I also like not sitting in the back of the plane with all the peasants, although with the introduction of BE a while back E+ is frequently filled by BE fares. On pleasure routes, especially during the pandemic, I may be one of the only elites in E+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.