Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What existing elite benefit do you value most?

Old May 2, 21, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ,united 1k, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist

I see all kinds of wishlist threads now asking for all sorts of crazy benefits, I think it would be interesting to take the opposite approach. State your united status (GM-GS) and state which benefit you appreciate and value most. I will start, as a united 1k I think the plus points are far and away the most valuable benefit.
Old May 2, 21, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Better phone agents
Old May 2, 21, 10:14 pm

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Iím a GS and the benefit I use the most is the YBM instant upgrade. Pretty much all of my tickets are M or higher.
Old May 3, 21, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
As a Premier Silver I appreciate E+ for myself and a companion, on the same passenger name record (PNR), upon check-in up to 24 hours prior to departure.
am1108 and Repooc17 like this.
Old May 3, 21, 12:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Everr year FT poll the travel forums for their best benefit, Below at the results from that last poll for the UA forum (Jan 2021)

and the prior poll
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 3, 21, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
I see that "Complimentary access to Economy Plus for all Premier members" was the overall favorite, garnering 29 of 128 votes over the past two years.
Old May 3, 21, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Gold
Going by value, I'd say GPU though UA goes out of their way to make them hard to use
going by which is used the most, I guess E+.
Old May 3, 21, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Hertz PC status is very valuable but I don't use it every flight-the 3 X 70lbs baggage allowance is the only thing that I use every flight.

I never get any CPUs, and PlusPoints are valueless to me.

The 1K line phone agents are still well-trained and helpful.
Old May 3, 21, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Plus point upgrades, ability to cancel award flights for free, econ+, and boarding ahead of the masses in that order.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old May 3, 21, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Global Services 2.8MM, AAdvantage, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Hands down Plus Points (in particular, ability to book into PN as a GS).
tcdtcd likes this.
Old May 3, 21, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I'm Platinum and free Same Day Changes were my most appreciated benefit. The last minute flexibility was great. I could switch to a later flight to spend a few extra hours at my origin, or an earlier flight to get home sooner. It was also nice for switching to different connections with wide open CPU space or better layover lounge options.

With limited schedules and options at the moment, it's not as valuable as it once was.
worldwidedreamer and Manisero like this.
Old May 3, 21, 10:50 am

Programs: UA GS | Marriott Titanium / LT Gold
In terms of perks - the fact that GS has PN space for PlusPoints has been one of the biggest advantages I've gained by moving up a status level. I still enjoy the fact that (with some work and schedule flexibility) I can fly business class internationally for vacation on an economy ticket.

In terms of most utilized benefits though, the free same day change was the best concept that United added for elites in my opinion. I probably utilized that on ~30% of personal flights and even sometimes for work travel because it was less of a hassle than calling travel, cancelling a flight and rebooking something else.

For those that are using YBM instant upgrades, I'm surprised to still see that anymore. My last company used to have a policy of booking Y/B/M fares for instant upgrades but switched away from that to a policy of just buying cheapest refundable first class outright because it was often cheaper to get a lower fare first class ticket (avoiding non-refundable) than a full-fare economy ticket.
Old May 3, 21, 11:21 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver
Silver here. I really like the 70lb checked bag limit. It comes in handy when going skiing or on a longer leisure trip (who does laundry on vacation
I haven't had a chance to use the free E+ seats at check in yet. I already have boarding group 2 from CC, not that is matters over the last year anyway.
And last but not least, I do like to see "Premier Silver" on my app when I open my acct, as well as on the BP...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 3, 21, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hmm, in my relatively brief time flying as 1k (since December 2019-March 2020, haven't flown again since) I think my favorite ordered benefits have been:
Plus Points, 1k Phone Agents (very little wait time, seemed more helpful), CPUs

Pre-1k my list would probably be:
Free Eco+ at booking, Star Alliance Gold benefits (boarding and lounges), Same Day Changes
Old May 3, 21, 11:58 am

Programs: United
ok, I am just this will generate some interesting replies.... but I enjoy all the "little things" that go on in the background that make the entire experience much better.....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: