Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
You expected United to give a different price for the same award based upon your status? Have they ever done this? (Unless you want to count expanded Saver availability for Premier members).
Yes, they do this, in exactly the way you describe they do this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by usflyer16
Never realized that - thanks!

In theory yes, but at the moment it appears that the only change to domestic XN is the surcharge within 30 days and the possibility for rates lower than the award chart rates (which while they're limited, they're definitely out there).

Of course, this could change at any moment.
On domestic routes, there are often several fare breakpoints. I know it's semantics, but the industry term of art here is "advance purchase requirement" (not surcharge). DL has these too on lower level awards, so not exactly a surprise UA has adopted them. DL spells out the advance purchase requirements out for various levels in the award fare rules. With UA, you just have to guess. Most domestic routes seem to have a .5K lower level with 8-day advance. I have seen ones at 22-days and 26-days out, in addition to 30 days. Here's an example with DEN-ORD awards. Note the 7K awards at 22-days and 6.5K awards at 26-days out. Once you get to the 18th, you run into holiday travel demand, so they are zeroing out inventory in these lower level buckets so there are only 12.5K awards. You can find 5K awards later in year and new year and these are likely the 30-day advance purchase low level awards.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 17, 2019 at 11:05 am
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
Yes, they do this, in exactly the way you describe they do this.
That is hardly the same thing as expecting a discount off of the Saver price because of status. I can think of no basis besides wishful thinking on which to conclude that UA would waive a price increase for Premier members.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is hardly the same thing as expecting a discount off of the Saver price because of status. I can think of no basis besides wishful thinking on which to conclude that UA would waive a price increase for Premier members.
Don't get lost in the mechanics, when XN>X or IN>I, there's your status based discount on award price.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't get lost in the mechanics, when XN>X or IN>I, there's your status based discount on award price.
There's a difference between the possibility of additional availability at a pice that regular members might also pay and what the OP was suggesting, which was a unilateral, across-the-board discount for Premier members alone.

The idea that UA was planning to give Premier members an exception from dynamic pricing was never anything but wishful thinking. The entire point of dynamic pricing was to raise the average number of miles UA gets to remove from its books for each free ticket it gives away. As a side benefit, they may get to direct more passengers to truly distressed inventory, but full dynamic pricing was not necessary to achieve that. The only thing that required full dynamic pricing was a large, mostly opaque fare increase, which is exactly what this will eventually turn out to be. (They also get to remove the annual kvetching each time they unveiled a new, devalued chart; now they can devalue in fits and starts and people won't really notice).

Don't look at it as a close-in charge. Look at it as a fare increase.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I forgot completely about this and was able to book some trips - one all on UA US-Europe and one all on *A between Asia-and Australia. Mileage level and availability seem reasonable. Even within the Continental US/Canada, it seems there are still 12,500 mile awards - the problem is these are really bad times - redeyes or super long connection times. The ones that are reasonable are as high as 60K+ miles oneway in Y!

I am losing my 1K for next year. So, it is kind of cool to finally start using my miles instead of paying to make status. Of course, the miles aren't as valuable without 1K status (i.e. no free changes / redeposits).
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
A little clearer when we explain it as a discount that exists when XN/IN>0 while X/I=0. In which case the discount has traditionally been substantial.

The award fee waiver for elites can also be viewed as a status based discount (which has now been partially eliminated with the 3.5k miles close-in fee added for everyone, regardless of status).
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
A little clearer when we explain it as a discount that exists when XN/IN>0 while X/I=0. In which case the discount has traditionally been substantial.
And which discount, or availability difference, is apparently remaining, despite the switch to fully-dynamic pricing. They've raised the price for some XN awards, but they're still much cheaper than HN or YN, and XN>0 / X=0 is still a common phenomenon.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Anybody below 1K (like me) should be happy to pay 3500 depreciated miles rather than $75 per person. and of course it only applies to close in bookings so those of us who prefer advance bookings would not be affected. If a nonstop Or a better flight time opens a week before my trip I’d gladly pay 3500 miles to change it. Or alternatively if the price drops from 25k to 12.5k I’m fine with paying a few more miles.

of all the horrible changes UA has made this year this strikes me as the least annoying. It’s a fractional Increase on a 70k partner booking. and if hub 1Ks can now clear RPU or GPU routes by using 2x points that will be a huge win for many of us who saw them expire worthless.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by usflyer16
I'm seeing ORD-DCA flights on Monday 11/18 booking in XN @12.5k points. So maybe the surcharge isn't universal?

I have seen most domestic close-in XN pricing at 15k though...
This used to be 10K, no?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a difference between the possibility of additional availability at a pice that regular members might also pay and what the OP was suggesting, which was a unilateral, across-the-board discount for Premier members alone.
You're still lost in the mechanics if you're thinking about "additional availability at" anything. Treat it like a black box spitting out numbers. Award pricing considers elite status there (unlike cash fares), and may return a different result based on status.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist

The idea that UA was planning to give Premier members an exception from dynamic pricing was never anything but wishful thinking.
I was hoping either that XN/IN would be exempt from close-in price increases, or that these price increases would be dynamically affected by status (and 0 for 1K).

Wishful thinking, perhaps. It’s just one less reason to try for a higher status.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
1K/GS cannot skip the 3.5 K miles charge for close-in booking/changing now. We used to change the ticket at last minute without any fees or additional miles (if XN/IN is available). I know that the UA miles are worth less now than before. But it is still 3.5K extra miles for 1K/GS for exercising the freedom of changing a ticket at close-in/last-minute window.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're still lost in the mechanics if you're thinking about "additional availability at" anything. Treat it like a black box spitting out numbers. Award pricing considers elite status there (unlike cash fares), and may return a different result based on status.
We’re going to have to agree to disagree. If there were some discount for Premiers, it wouldn’t be capacity-controlled.

Originally Posted by getagb
I was hoping either that XN/IN would be exempt from close-in price increases, or that these price increases would be dynamically affected by status (and 0 for 1K).
Tip of the cap for a positive attitude, I suppose. If they were using some kind of tiered mechanism like that, they would have announced it at the start (as an “enhancement,” of course). And if XN/IN weren’t going to be affected by price increases, there would have been no need to go to full dynamic pricing and remove the chart.

Things will get worse before they get better. If they get better.

Originally Posted by Kmxu
1K/GS cannot skip the 3.5 K miles charge for close-in booking/changing now. We used to change the ticket at last minute without any fees or additional miles (if XN/IN is available). I know that the UA miles are worth less now than before. But it is still 3.5K extra miles for 1K/GS for exercising the freedom of changing a ticket at close-in/last-minute window.
There is no 3,5K charge. It’s just a more expensive ticket, and, yes, outside of SDC, you won’t be able to get around it. However, again, it’s going to get worse. In a few months — no more than a year — we’ll look back on the 3.5K surcharge as the halcyon days of yore.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I hope UA changes their award algorithm at some point. I’ve been tracking tomorrow’s EWR-HKG since I helped with a booking for family. It is 39/60 booked inside of T-24, and IN/I are still 0. There’s absolutely no reason that would be the case in the past - it would have definitely been an IN/I9 situation. Bad form by UA - they are failing to monetize last-minute awards and instead settling for filling with non-revs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.